Autohotkey aimbot cheaters are still a major problem

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
08/21/2016 12:38 PMPosted by Professor
This can be detected easily, it's just a matter of making the decision that autohotkey code being active while Overwatch is running constitutes a ban.

The problem with this is that simply having AHK running doesn't mean you're even using it for Overwatch, and even if you are using it for that, as long as it doesn't break the "one key press for one action" rule then it's completely fine.

The detection would have to be more sophisticated than that to not get false positives.
Or they no longer allow you to play Overwatch with AHK active.
08/21/2016 12:38 PMPosted by Professor
Edit: It is now one week until S2 starts. They still have not banned these aimbot users and it continues to be used.

Creating this thread to hopefully get some notice put on a major problem, that has been escalating, with cheaters in Overwatch using Autohotkey scripts to cheat.

Autohotkey is a legitimate program that uses a scripting language to automate tasks. You can do things as simple as executing a series of keyboard/mouse inputs, to more complex things that examine data and respond with certain inputs. This program was one of the ways players were macroing to control S76's spread. S76 ended up getting nerfed, the suspicion is because of these macro users but there was never confirmation that was the reason, rather than these cheaters macroing S76's spread getting banned.

For a while now there has now been an aimbot available for Overwatch that uses a script based on the same language. It is crude in comparison to the typical paid memory scan cheats other game's have, but is still quite effective and takes a bad player up to pretty freaking good level on a hitscan hero.

I realize Blizzard does not respond directly and prefers to mask their anti cheat measures and just take action, but, they don't scan or ban for usage of this scripting language. We can see this in that this aimbot's users have never been banned and the other cheaters that were using this to macro S76's spread were not banned. Instead the game itself was altered to account for these cheats... by nerfing a balanced hero into a pretty dismal state. They have done something similar to try and deal with this particular aimbot by adjusting something that it cues off in the game. The script was simply adjusted to account for it and the cheating went on.

Blizzard it's time to start banning macro users. This can be detected easily, it's just a matter of making the decision that autohotkey code being active while Overwatch is running constitutes a ban. We already have a hero that was likely nerfed due to this scripting, ruining S76 for all the legitimate players, because of cheaters. Now we have an aimbot using the same language that is active and not being dealt with.

Can we please have a clean game for Season 2's start ? Or is it going to be polluted with however many of these cheaters are out there and participating in it ? Also, can we get Soldier's spread recovery nerf reverted while we're at it ? Then proceed to ban macro/script cheaters like a company with a lot more experience with the FPS genre started doing long ago; Valve.

Cheers

I could link a site with all sorts of autohotkey exploits. Something needs to be done. There is a new Korean pixel bot that's "undetectable" as well.
I'm very new to the online gaming community, having only played turn based strategy games like Civilization or simulators before, and I really don't understand several of the issues at work here. What I've gathered is that there are several methods to "enhance" gameplay, including:

1. aimbots, bots that aim for you
2. triggerbots, bots that pull the trigger when your crosshairs intersect an enemy
3. macros, which most people use in their professional lives (I do, text expander is really useful for programming) but can be used to rapidly perform combos
4. built-in capabilities of hard-core gaming peripherals.

08/21/2016 12:47 PMPosted by Hangender
But Blizzard advertises keyboards/mices with macro capabilities:

http://www.razerzone.com/licensed-and-team-peripherals/starcraft-2-hots

^_^
This post in particular confuses me. If macros are a ban-able offense, why would blizzard sell hardware with them built in? I'm confused.

Note: I don't use macros, would never use them, and if anyone looked at my stats, its pretty clear that I suck so I'm likely not using them. Hell, I can barely adjust the sensitivity on my mouse for christ's sake.
Bump

We need an answer, i don't play soldier but still, i'm sick of cheaters
08/29/2016 05:11 AMPosted by TalesOfCards
Bump

We need an answer, i don't play soldier but still, i'm sick of cheaters

I'd like to see this particular hack stomped out before S2 starts. You'd think Blizzard would want this actioned before then as well.
I've never understood the argument against macros. Let me draw a line here, any piece of software that allows you to do tings that are IMPOSSIBLE should be banned.

That said, macros to remove tedius things I'm all for. IMO, OW is an extremely simplistic game and doesn't need any macros at all but if you're that guy that macros your soldier's trigger, fine, w/e. it doesn't allow make you godly you still have to aim, and I can likely get just as much out of soldier w/o any macros as you can.

I'd wager a significant portion of the player base has access to macro functionality using the software that comes with their keyboard and or mouse. I'd also wager 90% of those people are too dumb to know a) the functionality exists and b) how to use it. so banning someone for using the tools available to them or calling for bans is a bit silly. you're basically saying everyone has to uninstall their mouse/keyboard drivers and use nothing but the stock windows driver.

examples: i play with a razer orbweaver and have remapped a few keys on it. meaning, the software is always running in the background and is keyed to switch profiles based on applications it detects. i don't run any macros that string together commands but the software does allow that .... i should be banned? you can't tell if i am or am not using macros with said software.

i also have a corsair m65 rgb pro. again, the software allows for macros. again, i don't use any, but how do you know?

neither piece of hardware affords me a significant advantage. however, i do have a hardware advantage over a large portion of the player base. I have a 144hz monitor and the GPU/CPU to back it up. I'm always above 144fps which means i have an actual and measurable advantage.

should i be banned? should the game be locked at 59fps? why not? if you're complaining that macros shouldn't be used because not everyone has them or knows how to use them then shouldn't my hardware advantage also be banned?

tldr;
you're not getting your butt kicked because of a macro. you're getting your butt kicked because that player either got the drop on you or is just better - regardless of whether or not he/she is/isn't running a macro.

p.s. i expect to get down voted.
I think I should point out a couple things in your little rant:

08/29/2016 09:15 AMPosted by thebaronofsd
I've never understood the argument against macros. Let me draw a line here, any piece of software that allows you to do tings that are IMPOSSIBLE should be banned.

The main argument I see against macros is exactly what you described, it's a program that allows people to do things that aren't humanly possible. I don't know where you're looking for arguments, but that's the main argument, people can macro things to give them an advantage. A simple example is League of Legends, people can macro in that game to pull off difficult combos faster than a normal player. It isn't rocket science, it's a basic argument that you have shown that you understand.

it doesn't allow make you godly you still have to aim, and I can likely get just as much out of soldier w/o any macros as you can

Your built in macros aren't the only macro creating tool in the universe. Using Auto Hotkey, you can create macro to aim and shoot towards a target, I'm not going to provide examples here, but I think you'll agree that if I were to aimbot and triggerbot you, I'd have a huge advantage compared to anybody in the world.

i don't run any macros that string together commands but the software does allow that .... i should be banned? you can't tell if i am or am not using macros with said software

This is exactly why detecting macro users is quite a hassle, you can't tell if they are or not without a bunch of work and refining to prevent false positives. I don't think that any company should just ban a macro creating program from running because it's inconvenient, but the alternative is to be able to detect macros that give an unfair advantage to players, which still runs the risk of false positives, as I said.

I'm always above 144fps which means i have an actual and measurable advantage

I think even you should know this, FPS isn't something that'll give people as much of an advantage, I would much rather have a trigger bot than a smooth high frame rate because on one side, I could always land shots, on the other side... the game looks smoother.

if you're complaining that macros shouldn't be used because not everyone has them or knows how to use them then shouldn't my hardware advantage also be banned?

As I explained before, there's a fairly large benefit gap between macros and good hardware. Hardware can only get you so far, which is not very far at all. Macros give you a larger benefit than any expensive rig can give you. An expensive rig cannot make you aim better, the rig cannot make you react faster, the rig cannot give you a large enough benefit to bother banning over.

p.s. i expect to get down voted.

This is just a side note, but the funny thing is you've gotten no down votes
can this not be fixed? I don't want to waste time and money on this game again if they can't stop the cheating.
09/01/2016 02:40 PMPosted by ikt
can this not be fixed? I don't want to waste time and money on this game again if they can't stop the cheating.

It ain't gonna get fixed. The most Blizzard will do is have its social media people make a reddit thread about cheaters getting caught in a banwave.

Blizz already got your money when you bought the game. So what if they miss out on you buying a lootbox? Cheaters with money to burn on multiple accounts and paid cheats probably are some of the biggest lootbox purchasers.
08/22/2016 06:58 AMPosted by STYL
08/22/2016 02:26 AMPosted by Ruzhyo2000
I'm gonna be the guy who comes in and says AHK isn't really that big of an issue who gets downvoted to oblivion. The soldier nerf isn't really that big of a deal, IMO, and even if it was, I'd rather they just revert it and not bad macro users than revert it and ban them, considering how relatively minor an issue it is. Having one button that does Reinhardts Q-E-Shift combo doesn't really give you much of an advantage over someone who actually presses Q, E, and shift.

That said, aimbotting is obviously an entirely different issue.
Bruh its like these kids dont understand you can do 90% of AHK !@#$ with logitech gaming software. This thread is just paranoia and ignorance colliding.

Mmm .. not really true .. AHK is powerful tool, it goes beyond setting one key to trigger 3 keys or similar .. Can you run scripts with logitech gaming software?
So, what happens, most simple and slow(stupid but viable), on mouse movement, or key pressed, screenshot is taken, triggers external image processing on the screenshot - detects enemy, finds coordinates, moves mouse to that coordinates, triggers M1. Can you do that with logitech gaming software?
09/01/2016 02:59 PMPosted by dittohead
08/22/2016 06:58 AMPosted by STYL
...Bruh its like these kids dont understand you can do 90% of AHK !@#$ with logitech gaming software. This thread is just paranoia and ignorance colliding.

Mmm .. not really true .. AHK is powerful tool, it goes beyond setting one key to trigger 3 keys or similar .. Can you run scripts with logitech gaming software?
So, what happens, most simple and slow(stupid but viable), on mouse movement, or key pressed, screenshot is taken, triggers external image processing on the screenshot - detects enemy, finds coordinates, moves mouse to that coordinates, triggers M1. Can you do that with logitech gaming software?

Pretty sure it can. Only thing AHK can do more is search screen for pixels.
Can't they just remove the outlines around heroes?
I mean yeah it makes them harder to see, but all people get impacted equally, while the scripts can no longer look for it.
Season 2 went live today. This AHK aimbot is still being used, its users have/are not being banned. GG Blizzard.
I find it funny the counterthrust is everybody's argument is that you can't use AHK to make triggerbots, and yet on the last banwave when everybody was high-fiving the people crying on one of the cheat community boards you could see them bemoaning bans in the same breath as saying that their friends using the AHK cheats weren't hit.

Like, it's a thing. I'm sorry you guys use it for work but just shut down the process before playing and turn it back on after. I don't understand why an entire playerbase needs to suffer because you're too lazy to kill an app when playing a game? Straight selfish.
Ah, it took me a little bit of time to figure out what AHK was and why it might be bad, or not.

Here's how I look at it. If you're using an outside source to aid you in aiming, then you're cheating. If people are somehow using/moding AHK to aid them with their aiming, then they're cheating.

AHK isn't the problem, it's the people misusing the tool that is the problem.

Blizzard ins't allowed to stop people from using AHK either, it's a useful tool that many people have installed on their PCs. All Blizzard can do is "detect" when incoming inputs are outside of some realistic realm, in other words, something a mere human cannot do, and then act on them.

As far as using AHK for actual key combos, I don't see that as a big deal. Technically I consider that cheating, but I don't see it as a threat. I don't think it tilts the game in their favor, but that's just me.

Now auto aim and the auto trigger on the other hand, now that's annoying and people using those should be BANNED.
Still going strong. Is Blizzard planning on just allowing this to go without being dealt with ? This aimbot has been circulating for in excess of a month with no action taken and a new season started, already contaminated by these cheaters.

ETA on banwave ?
== Sorry for my english ==

You guys think way to 1-dimensional!
First of all:

How does the Aimbot work?
It's a Pixelbot. It detects the left cornor of your Healthbar (because the color of the healthbar is static and always the same) and calculates the position from your head based on distance! (For example: Healthbarpsotion X value + 57 = Head position X).
It then moves with a certain speed towards your head, that speed however is different. I saw that the settings people made are between 3 and 6 pixels per round.

What is the problem with AutoHotKey?
First of all, it is NOT NECESSARY to use AutoHotKey. AHK is just a "scripting language" that makes it really easy to implement such functionality. For example: To find the healthbar, there is already a function inside AHK that's called "imageSearch()" that allows anyone to search for an image (healthbar) without understanding the algorithm.

Conclusion: Any programmer can write the same program/functionality in any programming language! So detecting AHK would just stop this cheat for 1 week, until some other guy implements the same cheat in C/C++ or whatever!

Why is it so hard to detect?
First of all we look at what the AHK-Bot actually does!

1) Takes Screenshots
2) Search pixels inside that Screenshot
3) Moves mouse

1) Taking screenshots cannot be detected. "But who takes thousand of screenshots, that can be detected easily!". No, any streamer would get banned instant! OBS for example takes at 30 FPS, 30 screenshot per seconds!

2) Searching pixels ... I don't have to tell you that this is not detectable, not in 100 years.

3) And finally we arrive here, at the only possible detection - the mouse movement.

AHK uses a function that is called "mouse_event()". This is a Windows internal function that send the mouse movement DIRECTLY into mouse stream. Why can't blizzard detect if this function gets called? Because you need SYSTEM rights and "hook a function thats called NtUsersedInput in w32k.sys". You did not understand what I just said? Alright easy words: You need a driver. A driver has SYSTEM rights and can detect suchs things.
So right now, it's impossible for blizzard to detect if the input from the mouse was physically or virtually.

What else opportunities? A common gaming mouse sends 1000 "inputs per second". That means when you move your mouse 2000 pixels on the X-Axis within 1 second, your mouse would jump every millisecond 2 pixel, thus skip 1 pixel every 1 millisecond. So for example: When you have a cheating McCree in enemy team, and his cheat constantly skips "for example 100 pixels", we can say pretty sure that he uses a cheat.

That's how it could work. I mean there are probably heuristics that could detect "weird" movement, but to be honest: How consistent will it be? How many false positives would it take?...

In the end, there is only 1 way: Having a ring-0 driver, that can determine 100% if mouse movement was done physically or virtually, will Blizzard take that way?

I don't think so! Drivers are hard to install since Windows 7 x64 and it was not serious if they do that!

As I said: AHK is easy to detect by signatures, but that would not stop that cheat.
I hope you understand that it needs some insane genious to detect that.

Right now, from my point of view, it looks pretty impossible!

Sorry!
Getting pretty silly. Seeing SO many more of these. At least one every other game, especially at low tiers and SRs. Really obvious, really easy to see and used mostly (in my experience) with Tracer, Reaper and Soldier.
Still not dealt with. No bans, no detection.

GG