Bring McCree ULT on par with others.

General Discussion
1 2 3 18 Next
Highly Rated
Look, i get it, to be consistent with other ults, so no refund. Okay, not a problem at all.

The problem with McCree ult, it is sub par, it is one of the worst ones(Actually it is the worst one, data below). It needs some love.

Edit{
Data proof:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PfoExAargDnebFRplrvFe-HQZPA6mG5AMMnYitAxvXU/edit?usp=sharing

• Medium raw(w/o ult) kills compared to other heroes(most balanced)
  • The worst ult(least kills) compared to others.
  • The ult has the least kill contribution to overall kills among all heroes.

}

Keep the changes, but give it some love, make it comparable to other ULTs, now it is just bad compared to others.

Why is it bad? this video says a lot about why it is bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ngqK3ekjw

It is not like it was good and suddenly it became bad. It was always bad, there was just that "ok, ill try another time soon" thing which made it usable more often, hence people could live with the fact it was not as good as other ULTs.

@Devs if you could address some of the highlighted issues from the video, it might be good. Consider some experimenting with it internally.
Brainstormed ideas:
  • Increasing skull lock on speed
  • Removing some of the delay after the LMB press and actual shots
  • Removing some of the delay between shots
  • Shooting the targets that would actually die first, like those that are not behind a shield or another absorbing ability, not the static right to left pattern.
  • Making McCree not so visible while ULTing
  • Making McCree not so slow while ULTing
  • Some change that does not fall in the "tweak this existing part of the ULT a little" category

Not all changes at once, try some of them internally, see what makes it on par with other ULTs.
Highly Rated
McCree lighting up like a Christmas tree is the number 1 problem I have with his ult.
Highly Rated
Thank you, iSinner.

Genji mains unified to ensure Blizzard knew of their distaste in his changes. Dva mains expressed distaste in the DM change, so it most likely won't exit the PTR. The issue here is that the McCree mains aren't addressing this. They've been divided as for/against this, without critical analysis. There is no loud outcry; only silence.

The fact that people consider a fourth edit in two and a half months to a single hero is HEALTHY, just baffles me. It speaks of generalized imbalance within Overwatch.

No one is asking for a buff, only balance. Consistency. McCree and his Ult were not heavily discussed as of recent, yet here we are; another nerf. Rather, discussions on his underperforming Ult have surfaced. This calls for a rebalance. A hero with that many changes will not perform as intended. Repainting one wall with a bunch of colors will remove it's initial appearance. Eventually, it'd look horrendous; not as intended. "Good in theory."

I desire to change the outcome; but with silence from the people who've experienced McCree in different scenarios, it is likely that the changes will exit the PTR. This is unhealthy for the character, meta, player base, and overall mechanics of Overwatch. Until people understand where we are coming from in terms of rebalancing his kit, his Ult, removing any glitches; it doesn't seem bright. With this, what does it speak of for the future of other heroes? Generalized imbalance within Overwatch still has not been addressed. Only unloaded onto the target of mass hate; the new Genji or the new McCree.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone's favorite hero. This is not what Overwatch should become.
I wouldn't wish this on anyone's favorite hero.

It is not about favorite heroes. For devs, it is about balance and consistency, that is most important, and i agree with that.

If they just roll out the ULT nerf without addressing the fact that it is sub par by buffing it in some other way, it will just make it very bad. While the change is necessary, making the refund change THE ONLY change will just make the ULT very bad.
Ok. Do all of those things you listed but make the damage 70 per target.
08/19/2016 04:21 PMPosted by c4ndlejack

All of them might make it unbalanced, and bringing the damage to 70 will make it feel less like an ULT in the first place. I don't think it is a good idea.
I was about to make a thread referencing this video. Something really needs to be done about McCree and the funny thing is this video was made BEFORE they nerfed high noon into the ground more lmao.
08/19/2016 04:26 PMPosted by Googleplx
I was about to make a thread referencing this video. Something really needs to be done about McCree and the funny thing is this video was made BEFORE they nerfed high noon into the ground more lmao.

The irony is !@#$ing sad. It's a damn shame.

It was made mere HOURS before the change at that.

He needs to make another video, post change.

Blizzard definitely hates McCree.
His ult instantly kills everyone on screen from any range, with very few things actually defending against it.

It's fine. If you use it in the open, you deserve to get killed easily. They get behind cover? Congratulations, you've at least zoned them.

It's one of the few ults (bar D.Va's) that has the potential to instantly wipe teams that isn't completely wasted because nobody actually died to it.
Theres more problematic ultimate than Dead eye.
Your forgetting the Mcree has an insanely strong kit outside of his ult, Balance does not mean every ability is equal.

Not to mention Deadeye is not a bad ult its just not an ult you should be expecting to take out the whole team with much like tracers.
yeaah not mcree

**** that guy

=')) i lold, yup if i think about it again mcree ult does have a lot of flaw
08/19/2016 04:24 PMPosted by iSinner
08/19/2016 04:21 PMPosted by c4ndlejack

All of them might make it unbalanced, and bringing the damage to 70 will make it feel less like an ULT in the first place. I don't think it is a good idea.

You said you wanted it to be on par with other ults. S76 only does his normal damage with falloff. Torb's damage stays the same but he shoots faster. Junkrat's has a small radius and 100hp. Genji and Winston lose all their range.
I agree that mccree's ult didn't need a nerf, but I do think that mccree on live is too strong, mainly due to his left click potential.

I think that they need to make his FtH relevant again and nerf his left click.
They could improve FtH by making it more accurate and therefor more reliable, because currently there are virtually no situations in which it's better to use FtH over left click.

Perheps they could make his left click do 60 dmg instead of 70 so that he can't 2 shot 200hp heroes with a headshot and bodyshot or 3 bodyshots, by making his left click do 60 this would mean he needs either 2 hs, 1 hs and 2 bs, or 4 bs.
08/19/2016 04:29 PMPosted by Maulkvirr
His ult instantly kills everyone on screen from any range, with very few things actually defending against it.

It's fine. If you use it in the open, you deserve to get killed easily. They get behind cover? Congratulations, you've at least zoned them.

It's one of the few ults (bar D.Va's) that has the potential to instantly wipe teams that isn't completely wasted because nobody actually died to it.

your right it can wipe a team..... if nobody is pay attention and doesnt see a glowing mcree screaming ITS HIGH NOON, its only good like i said if nobody is paying attention because we cant run away or stun u and if were getting shot at and try to cancle our ult by time we hit rmb were dead lol
I agree that mccree's ult didn't need a nerf, but I do think that mccree on live is too strong, mainly due to his left click potential.

I think that they need to make his FtH relevant again and nerf his left click.
They could improve FtH by making it more accurate and therefor more reliable, because currently there are virtually no situations in which it's better to use FtH over left click.

Perheps they could make his left click do 60 dmg instead of 70 so that he can't 2 shot 200hp heroes.

yea only time i use fth is when i stun someone up close to kill quick besides that i can snipe pharahs out of the sky with LMB and take tanks etc down easy unless im under fire and cant make accurate shots
The McCree's ult is always a joke, really, but now it's out of control.

Ult must be used to kill someone, but in this case is used to die cuz he shines like a star, he's as low as a turtle and his voice is so loud that can wake up all my neighborhood.

Poor McCree.

Please Blizzard, change something, we trust in you.
Maybe adding in the ability for the Gunslinger's ult to slow the enemies targeted(not a massive amount), possibly slowing them through fear if you wanted a real-world reason, for the duration would help with making it pretty good? That's all I can come up with off the top of my head atm.
Agreed, i don't even play mcree that much and know his ult was on the weakside. It was more useful for zoning than killing.
Or just bring it back how it was.

Yes, McCree's ultimate is ultimately not the greatest. So it had a "try-again" mentality and the ability to zone with it a bit.

That was UNIQUE. I hate when Blizzard starts hunting down unique things for no reason.