PTR range lock in solo/group queue inconsistency.

Competitive Discussion
I have a friend in grand master, im diamond so we cannot play together.

Interesting enough, if we search at the same time, we played together 4 games in a row, on the same team.

If I can't group with him, make it that matchmaking won't make that huge difference in queue. I normally play with grand master guys who I cannot group, but all games there are at least one on my team.

if matchmaking doesn't put me on the same team means that grand masters will take years to find 1 game. So, the SR 500/1000 rank thing is not a solution but a patch that makes more problems than what it supposed to solve.

One may think that this happens on PTR because there are less people playing but in high tiers this will be a issue, specially on particular times (weekday 4am, for example) when player density is low.

I suggest to retire the GAP restriction and search for another solution.

This is just to give feedback, that the current system doesn't solve the intended problems. In theory looked fine, in practice doesn't work at all.
The 500 difference is just to avoid boosters and low sr smurfs boosting high sr ppl.

The most known case is a rank 90 guy that used to group with 2 SR80+ on SR30 accounts to get #1 ww.

Also people playing with low SR friends kinda ruined the high SR game.

Edit: Dont forget that happens because PTR player base is small.
Edit2: Playing 5am I got matched with a SR38 guy and I was 78 at the time, that will happen.
I have a suggestion.

Simply remove the gap restriction and base matchmaking on the highest ranked member in a group. That would naturally discourage players from pairing outside of their rank without outlawing it.

Boosting would not be an issue since the high ranked player is not in a position where he can carry the low ranked player. The low ranked player is no longer supplying low ranked opposition for the high ranked player. The low ranked player is not a asset to the high ranked player but a liability.

If the low ranked player is able to hold his own and win. He deserves to be there.
If not. He will drag the high ranked player down until they find the rank where both are able to succeed.
Or the high ranked player will stop playing with the low ranked player.

Either way the issue would resolve itself.
I think a better solution is a mix of both.

Remove the gap, but make it so the difference that counts to matchmakins is max 500 difference from the highest player.

so 4000sr can play with 1000sr but it will make it as if it were 4000sr and 3500sr.
08/27/2016 01:18 PMPosted by BenjaminWolf
I have a suggestion.

Simply remove the gap restriction and base matchmaking on the highest ranked member in a group. That would naturally discourage players from pairing outside of their rank without outlawing it.

Boosting would not be an issue since the high ranked player is not in a position where he can carry the low ranked player. The low ranked player is no longer supplying low ranked opposition for the high ranked player. The low ranked player is not a asset to the high ranked player but a liability.

If the low ranked player is able to hold his own and win. He deserves to be there.
If not. He will drag the high ranked player down until they find the rank where both are able to succeed.

This is probably the best solution to the grouping problem I have heard. The only issue I see with this is that while the low ranked player will likely weigh his friend down, he will do the same to 4 other people who legitimately earned their rank. Solo queue players deserve to play the game with and against people of similar skill level. There is a big difference in skill every 500 sr so bringing someone well below their rating will almost always ensure a loss. Boosting worked because of this same reason. A rank 80 destroys 65s all day long. A rank 80 grouping with 50s gets him in that 65 bracket where he can carry so hard the skill of his team doesn't really matter. The same would be applied with a rank 50 competing against rank 75+. It's an automatic loss for the team with the rank 50 95% of the time.
08/29/2016 04:47 AMPosted by Bart
I think a better solution is a mix of both.

Remove the gap, but make it so the difference that counts to matchmakins is max 500 difference from the highest player.

so 4000sr can play with 1000sr but it will make it as if it were 4000sr and 3500sr.

That would also be acceptable.

Anything that doesn't restrict player base but naturally discourage the pairing of high ranked players with low ranked players.
08/29/2016 05:02 AMPosted by Yoho
08/27/2016 01:18 PMPosted by BenjaminWolf
I have a suggestion.

This is probably the best solution to the grouping problem I have heard. The only issue I see with this is that while the low ranked player will likely weigh his friend down, he will do the same to 4 other people who legitimately earned their rank. Solo queue players deserve to play the game with and against people of similar skill level. There is a big difference in skill every 500 sr so bringing someone well below their rating will almost always ensure a loss. Boosting worked because of this same reason. A rank 80 destroys 65s all day long. A rank 80 grouping with 50s gets him in that 65 bracket where he can carry so hard the skill of his team doesn't really matter. The same would be applied with a rank 50 competing against rank 75+. It's an automatic loss for the team with the rank 50 95% of the time.

That is true... but rarely will that same group of solo players have this person on their team. I have rarely played with the same team during season one. And it is just as likely this group will end up on the other team. This would prevent high ranked players from making low ranked accounts to supply the high ranked players on their friends list a easy lobby.

The low ranked player will force the high ranked player to drop in rank until the group finds a rank at which they can all compete and succeed. Or they stay there at that rank because they belong there. Or they stop playing together.
08/29/2016 05:15 AMPosted by BenjaminWolf
08/29/2016 05:02 AMPosted by Yoho

That is true... but rarely will that same group of solo players have this person on their team. I have rarely played with the same team during season one. And it is just as likely this group will end up on the other team. This would prevent high ranked players from making low ranked accounts to supply the high ranked players on their friends list a easy lobby.

The low ranked player will force the high ranked player to drop in rank until the group finds a rank at which they can all compete and succeed. Or they stay there at that rank because they belong there. Or they stop playing together.

I get where your thoughts are coming from, but my opinion remains the same. Whether people admit it or not the skill gap of 1000sr is huge. The play from a 4K sr to 3k is huge, same with 3-2 2-1. A 3k shouldn't be allowed to compete with 4K players because 1. They haven't earned it and 2. They will get stomped on.

No one wants to talk about this because everyone thinks they are the greatest and can compete at any level. The fact is if you can't soloqued yourself to your rank, you ain't ready to be there, and forcing others who earned their position to play with you is bull!@#$.
there are SO MANY valid situations when you may want to play with people even if they are 1000+ lower SR.
08/29/2016 05:45 AMPosted by Yoho
08/29/2016 05:15 AMPosted by BenjaminWolf

I get where your thoughts are coming from, but my opinion remains the same. Whether people admit it or not the skill gap of 1000sr is huge. The play from a 4K sr to 3k is huge, same with 3-2 2-1. A 3k shouldn't be allowed to compete with 4K players because 1. They haven't earned it and 2. They will get stomped on.

No one wants to talk about this because everyone thinks they are the greatest and can compete at any level. The fact is if you can't soloqued yourself to your rank, you ain't ready to be there, and forcing others who earned their position to play with you is bull!@#$.

Alright. So start at the bottom and try to work up to the top without a team. Deal with the constant rage quits on the team. The poor composition. The enemy team is in a party and actually using team work.

And I am not forcing anybody to play with me. They choose to play with me because I will do everything in my power to ensure a win. I will play a tank. I will play a healer. I will fill any gap in the team that is needed. Because we cannot control what other people will do. And expect to see a few high ranked players drop down on purpose to pair up with their low ranked friends. Because that is the only option Blizzard has presented.

And using profanity is not the proper way to respond.