Concern on "Heros Being Gay"

General Discussion
1 2 3 20 Next
Hello Blizzard,

First I want to state that I generally do not have an issue or problem with peoples preferences. This is not a troll post, and I am not trolling anyone. If people are offended, then that is on them, as I have no intention to offend anyone. I have every right, just as they do, to state my opinion. But I will say sorry if it does.

However, I will state my concern on the matter, and I appreciate you taking the time to read this. I am just bringing this to the table for consideration after ive had much thought on the matter.

The question is, why do we even have to place or state what preferences the Heroes in the game have? What is the point and why does it matter?

The concern is that some people may like their Hero just the way it is. I was at Blizzcon the day Overwatch was announced, and one of the things that was stated about the game was (along these lines):

That the heroes are so diverse that people may like and pick a hero because it reminds them of something or it may be a hero because they can relate to that hero...." etc etc

Point is, that a person may really like their hero, but then all sudden that hero has been deemed "gay". This may impact how a person may feel about their favorite hero, amongst other things.

For example, someone who really likes Reaper from their point of view, but then it is deemed he is "gay", they may not like that or just don't like being associated with that Hero because it changed their perspective of that Hero. (Not in a bad way, mind you. Just what they themselves think what the Hero is like and is all about, is my point)

Same goes for other heros. Hanzo. Soldier 76. even Mei. Or how about D.Va?

I will add I am one of them. Soldier 76 is by far my favorite Hero, one of the main reasons I really liked playing the game, and I have a point of view about him. If its put into the game that he is "gay", it would totally change my view and perspective of that Hero.

I shouldn't have to stay "politically correct" to be able to voice this, in fear of backlash, just as other people or groups feel they shouldn't be able to voice their opinions either. So I will say it. I would not like it if the Hero I "associate" in some way or another thus is why I like that Hero, all sudden is gay. It would change my perspective of that Hero, is what I mean. In a bad way? No, that is not what I mean. I mean overall. It is the opposite of the reasons some groups of people WANT this kind of thing put into the game, so I have every right to feel that way as well.

Is that because I am being mean and hateful? NOT AT ALL.

The reality is, It should be left up to me to consider who may or may not have a preference etc. In fact, it really shouldn't matter.

It may be a genuine concern to some people. I would think it would have a more negative impact more so than just not even bringing this into the game.

Not everyone agrees with the subject at hand. Some don't care, some do. its the way it is. Some do not want their children exposed to "sexuality" of any form in a game. There may be people out there that do not want their children associated with a hero that has been deemed "gay". That's reality, unfortunately.

Bringing this into the game may have a lot more negative impact then positive a one, because it is NOT necessary to begin with.

It should just be left alone, and let people decide (or fantasize, for some people) for themselves on their chosen hero.

What's wrong with that? I have yet to see a good reason why this needs to be brought into the game. Is it going to stop people from playing if you don't? I really don't think so.

But, if it is, will it give some people a negative impact? Maybe not, but more likely it would vs not doing it to begin with. I can also forsee all the arguments, the trolling, the name calling when a person picks a hero, being called names in game etc etc. It is possible, but I'm sure it would happen.

It really is NOT necessary to bring into the game, and of course you have every opportunity to change your mind and just not even do it.

I mean, to be honest, I do not remember the last time to make it a point or announce that characters in a game are "!@#$%^(sexual)", and I do not ever see anyone ever complain about that either. People just made up their own mind.

Leave it up to the players to decide for themselves, and let the game be what it is. A team based Hero shooter. That's it. That's all, and have fun.

Thank you,

Blizzard games fan for many years.

:)

PS: Thank you for making such a great game such as Overwatch.

EDIT: For some reason, it blocked the word -*!@#$(sexual), so I fixed it.
Highly Rated
So, what you're saying is to leave it up to each individual to decide the sexuality of the character for themselves and just leave it as an opinion?

Or am I wrong?
08/26/2016 02:44 PMPosted by Vaxillian
So, what you're saying is to leave it up to each individual to decide the sexuality of the character for themselves and just leave it as an opinion?

Or am I wrong?

Yes, that is what I'm saying.

This way, no issues arise. There is no reason whatsoever to bring this into any game. It stays neutral that way.
Highly Rated
The entire issue of sexuality should be left alone regarding this game so I agree with the premise of your post.

Unfortunately people feel the need to insert sexuality into everything (no pun intended. . . . kinda') so its going to come up regardless.

Sex and violence. . . . the dynamic duo of humanities attention span.
Inspired by my post on a "We Want A Gay Hero" post?
Lol. I agree, though.
omg shut up I couldn't get through reading half of this garbage

You ask why does it matter but at the same time complain that your favorite hero might be gay if you don't think it matters then why does it matter to you?

I personally don't care who is or isn't gay what I care about is if they just make someone gay just so they have a gay person, I.E. just randomly choosing someone rather than making it believable in their story.

Another thing you said is it doesn't matter in game if they are gay but it also doesn't matter who is evil or good, nothing lore-wise matters in game but thats not the reason they make the story.
08/26/2016 02:45 PMPosted by Zeron
08/26/2016 02:44 PMPosted by Vaxillian

Or am I wrong?

Yes, that is what I'm saying.

I guess you got a bit of a point, just leave touchy subjects like this alone entirely and leave it up to the imagination of the player.
So in short, the argument is that it would change the perception in positive ways too. Blizz says they want to be diverse and they want it to be natural, not forced. Odds are it'll only be noticed in lore (though that's just my assumption) so if you just play the game it won't matter. Also, it'll probably be subtle and a very small part of the lore at all. Relationships have already been introduced, to an extent, but mostly as side things. It'll probably stay the same. Not to mention, I don't think it'll be hard to censor for the kids (which should already be happening, and this is a T for teen game).

You are definitely entitled not to like it or want it. That's youre opinion. You stated how you felt and your questions respectfully and to that I applaud you (though be careful because you might have a storm coming your way). I hope you hear something back from Bliz besides what they have already stated (http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748735085?page=16#post-301).

Good luck!
H why do we even have to place or state what preferences the Heroes in the game have? What is the point and why does it matter?

The concern is that some people may like their Hero just the way it is.

You just asked why it matters before writing a bible chapter about why it shouldn't be a thing? If it doesn't matter then why do you care?

Edit: By having NO sexuality in the game you understand this means no straight couples too right? Do you understand how much story telling and lore that would make Blizzard unable to achieve?

Sorry bud, but Blizzard are here trying to make up a story for Overwatch. There's 22 heroes and soon to be 23. They're wanting to give backrounds/lore/origins to each one of those.

They shouldn't have to stop themselves adding love/romance into OW just because a few people can't wrap their heads around 2 chicks making out.
I generally think its a bad move for any company to make a political or ethical stance through their product. If a certain sexuality is pertinent to story development, then so be it, but they should not be badging certain heros with a certain sexuality one way or the other just to placate certain people, every opportunity to maintain a neutral stance should be taken, as its the only way to keep as many people happy as possible.
08/26/2016 02:47 PMPosted by Saelon
omg shut up I couldn't get through reading half of this garbage

You ask why does it matter but at the same time complain that your favorite hero might be gay if you don't think it matters then why does it matter to you?

I personally don't care who is or isn't gay what I care about is if they just make someone gay just so they have a gay person, I.E. just randomly choosing someone rather than making it believable in their story.

Another thing you said is it doesn't matter in game if they are gay but it also doesn't matter who is evil or good, nothing lore-wise matters in game but thats not the reason they make the story.

I wasnt complaining. I was merely trying to make a point.

Perhaps take the time to read the post before making assumptions.

I understand you may have been offended by this post, but theres nothing in it to offend anyone.
This is a video game.

My God.
Yea I mean I wouldn't be caught dead playing a confirmed gay hero. That's why I don't play Junkrat.
I think confirming there are gay heroes is enough for me, but some others want more representation than I so its up to Blizz but just saying there are characters like this or that is supporting people of that orientation or background I feel like. Then you have the freedom to guess who it is and project onto whichever hero you like.
08/26/2016 02:48 PMPosted by Rakari
H why do we even have to place or state what preferences the Heroes in the game have? What is the point and why does it matter?

The concern is that some people may like their Hero just the way it is.

You just asked why it matters before writing a bible chapter about why it shouldn't be a thing? If it doesn't matter then why do you care?

You answered your own question.

My point is, it shouldn't even matter to even place it into the game.

But if it is, it may matter to some people.
08/26/2016 02:49 PMPosted by Zeron
I understand you may have been offended by this post, but theres nothing in it to offend anyone.

I'm not offended I'm just informing you that you're argument is stupid and hypocritical in itself.
Agree with OP. No need to interject things about characters that could just as easily be left up to interpretation. Especially something that shouldn't have any bearing on the back-story for that character or their behavior.... I don't care if D.va likes chocolate over vanilla, and I don't care if she's a lesbian either.
08/26/2016 02:49 PMPosted by RPinHD
This is a video game.

My God.

Exactly.
08/26/2016 02:49 PMPosted by RPinHD
This is a video game.

My God.