Concern on "Heros Being Gay"

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 20 Next
08/26/2016 04:28 PMPosted by greetomatic
08/26/2016 04:21 PMPosted by Bootytime
The fact is most people think any strangers sexuality isnt there business. I don't want to know anyone's sexuality. Why do I have to have it spoofed down my throat and "celebrated."
If you think Mei and Zarya are a couple, by all means, there's plenty of fan fiction.
But why do you have to jam this political statement on the rest of us?
Blizzard should have no part of this.
Matter of fact, outside of Jimmy Raynor and Keerigan, which is the lamest romantic storyline in video game history, blizzard doesn't usually delve down this road.
So don't force them to just to appease your selfishness.

...you realize blizzard said that would have gay heroes on their own accord without any real pressure. If you have problems knowing someone is gay, or them celebrating it, that's pretty objectively homophobic. Do you want us to hide our sexualities completely? Make our relationships secret? What's happening isn't "shoving it down your throat."

Actually, it wasn't on their own accord, if that is what I understand you mean.

It was brought on by a person who directly asked the Developers in a QandA session at Blizzcon.

By the way they responded, they had no plans of even bringing this in. They just agreed it would happen.

Just like they had no plans of bringing 1 player, story mode etc etc.

It was brought up, so they said they would do it. They just didn't say how they would.
08/26/2016 04:41 PMPosted by brogan
The moral of the story kids, is that we're all gonna die, this is irrelevant, it's just a video game, and you need to get a life other than worry about video game characters' sexuality...

Exactly. I mean pretty blunt way of saying it, but that is the point.
[quote="207470780715"] "shoving it down your throat."

Giggity
Why does it even matter to you, though? Why do you care? How would that affect your gameplay in any way at all? I don't think knowing their sexuality is important to the game. I think that's why Blizzard has left it as is. But some people like the characters/backstories/lore and sorry, but sexuality is included in that. Other people like representation. But it doesn't affect the game or how you play it so again, why do you care?

Also, an individual's sexuality shouldn't stop you from relating to them in some way. You don't have to have everything in common to understand someone.

22 hours ago

For those who may have missed it last year, the question of whether or not there are LGBTQ characters in the game came up during the Q&A portion of the "World of Overwatch" panel.

Here's the transcript:

Question: "I love the diversity of the game--the age, race, and gender--absolutely love it, and I was wondering if any of the characters are gay to expand on that diversity?"

Chris Metzen: "Bill, you want to take that right?"

Bill Petras: "The answer is yes. Now, it's still early, and we're still working on how we thread the stories, and how we build the world, but the answer is yes."

Michael Chu: "You know, we've just started to tell the stories of these heroes, and we have these comics now and shorts, and we want to really tell these stories and give them the chance to breathe. So, definitely keep on the look out."

Chris Metzen: "So, the answer is yes, a couple times over. And we want things to play out organically and not, I don't know, to have data like that feel contrived or pandering. So, stay tuned with the story telling."

And here's the direct link: https://youtu.be/AU2PVc4E0eE?t=40m

I hope this helps address the initial question. In the meantime, I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread since it's unfortunately become very hostile in later pages.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748735085?page=16#post-301
08/26/2016 04:13 PMPosted by Ayia
Just have to say that I really respect you for writing this out the way you did instead of going out on an angry tirade trying to force people to see things the way you believe they should be and saying that whoever disagrees is stupid and idiotic. We already see enough of that on the internet.

Oh, thank you.

I appreciate that.
It's pretty clear Blizzard intentional did not assign a specific sexuality to any hero on purpose. It's left up to the player to decide that for themselves. There is no in-game sex or dating mechanic. Who cares whom they are attracted too?
OP: "I don't actually care if any heroes were gay.... but I would like Soldier 76 a lot less if he was gay... but actually I believe everyone has their preferences!!! (but a character being gay might make people uncomfortable) So why does it matter? It doesn't even matter, I don't care either way! I promise I don't care!!!!!"

OP: *makes a novel of a thread explaining why he "doesnt care" and then sits here for an entire day replying and arguing with everyone saying they want gay characters*

HMMMM......
08/26/2016 04:52 PMPosted by Gigglez

22 hours ago

For those who may have missed it last year, the question of whether or not there are LGBTQ characters in the game came up during the Q&A portion of the "World of Overwatch" panel.

Here's the transcript:

Question: "I love the diversity of the game--the age, race, and gender--absolutely love it, and I was wondering if any of the characters are gay to expand on that diversity?"

Chris Metzen: "Bill, you want to take that right?"

Bill Petras: "The answer is yes. Now, it's still early, and we're still working on how we thread the stories, and how we build the world, but the answer is yes."

Michael Chu: "You know, we've just started to tell the stories of these heroes, and we have these comics now and shorts, and we want to really tell these stories and give them the chance to breathe. So, definitely keep on the look out."

Chris Metzen: "So, the answer is yes, a couple times over. And we want things to play out organically and not, I don't know, to have data like that feel contrived or pandering. So, stay tuned with the story telling."

And here's the direct link: https://youtu.be/AU2PVc4E0eE?t=40m

I hope this helps address the initial question. In the meantime, I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread since it's unfortunately become very hostile in later pages.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748735085?page=16#post-301

Exactly.

But if you saw their body language and how they answered it, youd know it was not initially planned.

Which is fine, nothing wrong with that, jut stating it was based on when it was brought up.
08/26/2016 04:53 PMPosted by Cherub
OP: "I don't actually care if any heroes were gay.... but I would like Soldier 76 a lot less if he was gay... but actually I believe everyone has their preferences!!! (but a character being gay might make people uncomfortable) So why does it matter? It doesn't even matter, I don't care either way! I promise I don't care!!!!!"

OP: *makes a novel of a thread explaining why he "doesnt care" and then sits here for an entire day replying and arguing with everyone saying they want gay characters*

HMMMM......

I never said the words "I would not like s 76 if he was gay" as in for that very reason alone.

I think you missed when I said I have gay friends.

You are just reading that way, and not fully understanding mine, or many others point of view on it.

Edit: Oops. I just realized who posted this. Its the same person whos having a lot of anger and hate. Don't know why you have so much anger, but if anything has happened in your life to make you feel very offended by this, then ill be the first to say, that I am sorry.
I will still always find Widowmaker x Tracer logical. It could make sense if done right, right? :^)
[quote="207471580319"][quote]

Exactly.

But if you saw their body language and how they answered it, youd know it was not initially planned.

Which is fine, nothing wrong with that, jut stating it was based on when it was brought up.

And they could have said no. They are adults AND the big hanchos in terms of the game. They weren't forced. It was a simple question. Everyone keeps claiming the LGBTQ demographic is too small to even worry about so if that is the case then it wouldnt have really hurt sales or anything else by saying "No" or "We aren't sure yet."
08/26/2016 04:48 PMPosted by Zeron
08/26/2016 04:28 PMPosted by greetomatic

...you realize blizzard said that would have gay heroes on their own accord without any real pressure. If you have problems knowing someone is gay, or them celebrating it, that's pretty objectively homophobic. Do you want us to hide our sexualities completely? Make our relationships secret? What's happening isn't "shoving it down your throat."

It was brought on by a person who directly asked the Developers in a QandA session at Blizzcon.

By the way they responded, they had no plans of even bringing this in. They just agreed it would happen.

It was brought up, so they said they would do it. They just didn't say how they would.

They did, actually:
a) say that they had been planning gay characters before the question was asked
b) say they wanted to introduce them naturally into the plot
http://blizzardwatch.com/2015/11/07/overwatch-will-diverse-include-gay-characters/
I know that's not a good source, but you can check the blizzard post on the original thread on gay characters for more.
TL;DR: they've always planned gay characters (since 2015) on their own accord
08/26/2016 04:53 PMPosted by Cherub

HMMMM......

I never said the words "I would not like s 76 if he was gay"

You are just reading that way, and not fully understanding mine, or many others point of view on it.

/YES YOU LIIIIITERALLY DID/!!!!!

Point is, that a person may really like their hero, but then all sudden that hero has been deemed "gay". This may impact how a person may feel about their favorite hero, amongst other things.

For example, someone who really likes Reaper from their point of view, but then it is deemed he is "gay", they may not like that or just don't like being associated with that Hero because it changed their perspective of that Hero.

I will add I am one of them. Soldier 76 is by far my favorite Hero, one of the main reasons I really liked playing the game, and I have a point of view about him. If its put into the game that he is "gay", it would totally change my view and perspective of that Hero.

There may be people out there that do not want their children associated with a hero that has been deemed "gay".

Bringing this into the game may have a lot more negative impact...

But, if it is, will it give some people a negative impact? .... more likely it would
08/26/2016 04:57 PMPosted by greetomatic
08/26/2016 04:48 PMPosted by Zeron

They did, actually:
http://blizzardwatch.com/2015/11/07/overwatch-will-diverse-include-gay-characters/
I know that's not a good source, but you can check the blizzard post on the original thread on gay characters for more.

I see. Well, I was actually at Blizzcon and witnessed the way they responded so.
I am just saying, that it wasn't planned. Probably the main reason is because they weren't even planning to do back stories on the characters.

They even stated they were to going to do so, but just like a small information about each character, as that was not the point of the game.
How did this topic even come to fruition? I've seen like 4 different threads about it, seemingly out of the blue.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I never said the words "I would not like s 76 if he was gay"

/YES YOU LIIIIITERALLY DID/!!!!!

Point is, that a person may really like their hero, but then all sudden that hero has been deemed "gay". This may impact how a person may feel about their favorite hero, amongst other things.

For example, someone who really likes Reaper from their point of view, but then it is deemed he is "gay", they may not like that or just don't like being associated with that Hero because it changed their perspective of that Hero.

I will add I am one of them. Soldier 76 is by far my favorite Hero, one of the main reasons I really liked playing the game, and I have a point of view about him. If its put into the game that he is "gay", it would totally change my view and perspective of that Hero.

There may be people out there that do not want their children associated with a hero that has been deemed "gay".

Bringing this into the game may have a lot more negative impact...

But, if it is, will it give some people a negative impact? .... more likely it would

Where? Where did I say "if soldier 76 is gay, I will not like him because hes gay"?

I think your proving you misunderstood the post entirely, as you are being blinded by hate at the moment, and seeing what you want to see.
..... I literally quoted you, and even bolded it?????????????????????????????
08/26/2016 05:01 PMPosted by Zeron
08/26/2016 04:57 PMPosted by greetomatic
They did, actually:

I see. Well, I was actually at Blizzcon and witnessed the way they responded so.
I am just saying, that it wasn't planned. Probably the main reason is because they weren't even planning to do back stories on the characters.

They even stated they were to going to do so, but just like a small information about each character, as that was not the point of the game.

Or they could have been afraid to talk about it because of flamers?? Id be afraid to talk about anything remotely not masculine AND about games at a gaming convention (hence why I havent been to one) because I just assume there would be so many trolls there.
BUT THEN IT IS DEEMED HE IS "GAY", THEY MAY NOT LIKE THAT

I WILL ADD I AM ONE OF THEM