Concern on "Heros Being Gay"

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 20 Next
08/26/2016 03:56 PMPosted by Cherub
<span class="truncated">...</span>

No. You misunderstood.

I have every right to feel I don't want s 76 to be gay. That is my right to eel that way as a person.

Just like someone else has the right to WANT s76 to be gay.

Follow me?

SO what I am truly saying is:

LEAVE IT UP TO THE PLAYER TO DECIDE IN THEIR MIND.

:)

You may have the "right to think that way".

But that way of thinking is disgusting and you should feel ashamed of yourself.
Basically.

No misunderstanding here: you're a homophobe who is uncomfortable with the thought of a character being gay.

There is literally no reason why you wouldn't want a character to be gay that isn't homophobic.

What I am seeing from you is that you indeed have a lot of anger and perhaps some hate. I am very sorry for that.

I am also very sorry if I have offend you in some way, as that was not my intent.

My intent was to bring this to the table, and have a discussion from all points of view.

You bring hate upon me, when I did not bring any hate upon you.

I have every right to feel the way I do, and I have every right to my opinion.

I have already made it very clear. I have nothing against people who are gay. Nothing at all whatsoever.

I simply brought perhaps some concerns of why it is even necessary. That is all.

Why cant the game just be played for what it is, and have to bring these kinds of things into it?

It ws opened for discussion and points of view.
The problem is, every hero is pretty much "straight until proven gay." Just stating you think a character is LGBT can get a crazy amount of backlash with people asking for evidence. Straight people get representation everywhere, so I'm not quite sure what the problem is with a gay hero being canon. Especially if it has something to do with the lore; if Reyes and Jack were in a relationship that would drastically change their dynamic and the ending of overwatch. If you relate to s76 as a white cis male, you probably don't have to worry so much about representation, anyway.

EDIT: Thank you op for being respectful in this discussion

But that way of thinking is disgusting and you should feel ashamed of yourself.
Basically.
There is literally no reason why you wouldn't want a character to be gay that isn't homophobic.

chill.
08/26/2016 03:58 PMPosted by Zeron
08/26/2016 03:55 PMPosted by Gigglez
People care because Blizz created lore and opened the door for gay characters. That is why people care. Not for the game play. For the story. Is that really THAT hard to comprehend?

Well, yes that's true.

Guess I was just the one that stepped forward to bring something on the table to be discussed and seen from all points of view.

That wasn't meant for you it was meant for flamers. I can understand why people wouldnt want characters to be changed that theyve been attached to for months now (depending on if you played alpha or beta or just spent a lot of time). I get that. That's fair.

But people talk about it because Blizz created stories. Blizz brought it up. Realism, diversity, representation, inclusion, those are all cool.. but since Blizz left the door open people want to speculate and discuss and should be free to do so, just as you should, without flamers.

Flamers are entirely unnecessary.
I identify with characters based on what they do out of the bedroom. Your choice of who you sleep with isnt an accomplishment. Is that what you want to be remembered for?

HERE LIES ROY. "He sucked a lot of ****."

"There is literally no reason why you would want a character to be gay that isn't heterophobic"

see how stupid it sounds?

[quote]
But I sorry, what do you mean by "everyone hates you for something you cant change"?

Being gay, for example isnt a choice.

Gay people have been beaten, killed, kicked out of their homes, entirely because they are gay. and still are.

You cant just choose to be not gay.

So if someone wants to make a positive statement about people who are LGBT, maybe contributing a future where LBGT people aren't still getting killed just for being LGBT. By putting a LBGT character in their game and saying "This is good now".

Why the actual !@#$ would you try to manipulate that?

Oh but you arent saying that there shouldn't be LGBT, your just saying its up to blizzard.

Like we didn't already know that.

Oh okay, I wanted to make sure that is what you were meaning.

Yes, it is very unfortunate that is whats happened. I hate it, that people get targeted for just being who they are. They are great people too, and nothing wrong with it. I would be the first to a persons defense just because they are being attacked for being gay.

On your statement later in your post, I am not saying it should be up to Blizzard per say as it should just be left up to the players to decide how they want their character to be viewed. keeping it neutral. That its just a game.

In other words, as I have said earlier,

I am not saying at all that there shouldn't be a gay character.

I am just saying, leave it neutral. is all.
I'd also like to point out if we are going to leave it up to the players then the players should be able to talk and speculate, for the lulz and the funz about which characters they think could be gay or not. I mean, we all are trying to avoid the "thought police" right?

I'm pretty sure that makes you a bigot.

No, actually it does not. I made that clear I do not have a problem with people being gay.

Just don't push it on me, and respect me as a person, just like they want to be respected.

But that is not the point I was trying t make anyway.

The point is, just leave it neutral. Everyones happy.

No matter how much you think being gay is fine (which it is!) I need to point out that this is still very one-sided.

Some people use interpret "respect" to mean "the state of being treated like a human being." Other people interpret it to mean "the state of being treated like an authority."

Asking for LGBTQ+ heroes is asking for "human being" respect.
Asking for only LGBTQ+ sexuality to be excluded is asking for "authority" respect.

----

(I've posted something like this a ton of times today but it's so important!)

The game can't possibly "remain" neutral regarding sexuality because sexuality in Overwatch has existed since day one. Widowmaker's model is oversexualized. She was married to a man. Ana has a daughter. Users regularly post "We need swimsuit skins!" threads. And they make those "What hero would you go on a date with?" threads.

If you take issue with sexuality in video games, you should be taking issue with those examples as well.

The only reason most people take issue with LGBTQ+ sexualities is because it does not benefit them personally.
I think all those people complaining about the possibility of a gay character kind of overestimate the consequences. Widowmaker having a husband didn't stop anyone from shipping her with Tracer. And I think, if Blizzard is going to create a canon LGBT character, that's not gonna be implemented via just saying they're gay but with backstory exactly like Widow's.

Before playing Overwatch I played Dirty Bomb and on their homepage they had character descriptions for every Merc (their version of Hero) there was and for Nader, on of the characters, it said that she left her wife back in Germany to fight for the thing they were fighting for. That didn't stop the waifu crowd from shipping her with themselves. It didn't stop anyone from shipping her with other characters. And it didn't stop anyone from speculating about any of the other characters being gay. All it did was giving some of the players someone to identify with.
It also is a way smaller game and there were still more people complaining about her having a wife than Widow having a husband.

Anyways, we have more important battles to fight. Like people with waifus. What's up with that?
08/26/2016 04:08 PMPosted by Gigglez
I'd also like to point out if we are going to leave it up to the players then the players should be able to talk and speculate, for the lulz and the funz about which characters they think could be gay or not. I mean, we all are trying to avoid the "thought police" right?

Someone will always disagree with ones opinion, discussing about these things on an open forum will eventually bring people with differing opinions in, they will state how they feel, many a time, say their opinion is supperior, causing a stirup. Nobody is stopping anyone from creating, lets say their own subreddit for these kind of discussions? easier to moderate such places than this open forum.
08/26/2016 04:06 PMPosted by Joey

"There is literally no reason why you would want a character to be gay that isn't heterophobic"

I have no idea what you're even talking about. You can't just flip gay and straight terms to make your argument because gay people are oppressed, straight people aren't.
I'm a gay guy and I know if there was a gay character there'd be an angry mob against the fact that there is a gay character and if they do or do not resemble gay and that they are too "stereotypical" just enjoy the vague hints they put in. Bit like dumbledore being gay and Hermione being black.
Just have to say that I really respect you for writing this out the way you did instead of going out on an angry tirade trying to force people to see things the way you believe they should be and saying that whoever disagrees is stupid and idiotic. We already see enough of that on the internet.
08/26/2016 04:06 PMPosted by Joey

Buddy, that sounds stupid because "heterophobia" is not a thing.

Straight people are not excluded from all forms of media. You can't turn on the TV and see gay people filling every single role. You don't have straight athletes being told to hide their sexuality because it would cause a scandal. You don't have horrible parents sending their straight kids to a conversion camp in a twisted attempt to make them gay. There aren't parents who worry about how to explain straight couples to their kids. There aren't straight kids who get bullied at school because they're straight. There aren't straight people who get kicked out of their home after they come out as straight to their parents. I mean, straight people don't even have to come out and risk their lives, safety, and support by doing so! "Straight" is just assumed!

Heterophobia does not exist because straight people hold all the cards.
08/26/2016 04:03 PMPosted by greetomatic
The problem is, every hero is pretty much "straight until proven gay." Just stating you think a character is LGBT can get a crazy amount of backlash with people asking for evidence. Straight people get representation everywhere, so I'm not quite sure what the problem is with a gay hero being canon. Especially if it has something to do with the lore; if Reyes and Jack were in a relationship that would drastically change their dynamic and the ending of overwatch. If you relate to s76 as a white cis male, you probably don't have to worry so much about representation, anyway.

EDIT: Thank you op for being respectful in this discussion

Oh, youre welcome.

And your right, it is sad that there may be backlash if its stated "officially" a hero is gay. This is one of the reasons I am mentioning that it may have more negative impact to take such an action that really is not necessary. It wont hurt anyone or affect anything if action is not taken. It was simply an opinion.

Also, people do get attached to their characters, because they have their own point of view of what they are and who they are. I was simply saying, just keep it that way. Up to the player.

But I can certainly understand why some people would like representation.

Point is, IMO, there already is representation, because there is no way anyone should assume all characters in a game are !@#$%^-*!@#$. If that makes sense what I am trying to say.

But, in fear of sounding blunt. These are video game characters in a GAME. So why is it necessary? (edited for clarification)
08/26/2016 04:11 PMPosted by Misui
08/26/2016 04:08 PMPosted by Gigglez

Someone will always disagree with ones opinion, discussing about these things on an open forum will eventually bring people with differing opinions in, they will state how they feel, many a time, say their opinion is supperior, causing a stirup. Nobody is stopping anyone from creating, lets say their own subreddit for these kind of discussions? easier to moderate such places than this open forum.

Oh no, I totally agree. I dont use reddit. I use this forum. I have proposed (as have other people) that the general forum be split up into sub forums for organizations sake (not just for conversations about lore but also about characters, guilds, etc etc). And I believe people should have differing opinions but flaming and discussing are very different. Not to mention it really isn't that hard to avoid a topic where you can't contribute anything constructive. If there is a topic shipping characters there is no reason for you to go in there and flame them for shipping. However, make your own thread, that's totally fine.

As it stands right now I think that the general forum is an eye sore of mish mashed stuff thatll get lost in a day or two. Hence why I made a thread suggesting at least a Lore section and asked other ppl to make suggestions too :)
It'd be nice to have a list of their favorite sexual position, along with their preference over bagged/boxed milk.
08/26/2016 04:07 PMPosted by Zeron
Being gay, for example isnt a choice.

Gay people have been beaten, killed, kicked out of their homes, entirely because they are gay. and still are.

You cant just choose to be not gay.

So if someone wants to make a positive statement about people who are LGBT, maybe contributing a future where LBGT people aren't still getting killed just for being LGBT. By putting a LBGT character in their game and saying "This is good now".

Why the actual !@#$ would you try to manipulate that?

Oh but you arent saying that there shouldn't be LGBT, your just saying its up to blizzard.

Like we didn't already know that.

Oh okay, I wanted to make sure that is what you were meaning.

Yes, it is very unfortunate that is whats happened. I hate it, that people get targeted for just being who they are. They are great people too, and nothing wrong with it. I would be the first to a persons defense just because they are being attacked for being gay.

On your statement later in your post, I am not saying it should be up to Blizzard per say as it should just be left up to the players to decide how they want their character to be viewed. keeping it neutral. That its just a game.

In other words, as I have said earlier,

I am not saying at all that there shouldn't be a gay character.

I am just saying, leave it neutral. is all.

Depending on what you mean by Neutral?

Wanna leave it up to blizzard? Dont post about it?

Want it at a 50/50? Good luck, Hetro is always favored. We have to fight for that.

Thats all.