Concern on "Heros Being Gay"

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 20 Next
It disappoints me that people need to know this stuff about video game characters. As if kids don't have enough problems, you want to force sexual identity at them from video games; on top of peer pressure, the church, "gender awareness" classes at school, and TV and movies?

And adults playing the game aren't going to reconsider their position when they find out their favorite hero is straight/gay/bi/whatever, either.

People don't need to be put into categories based on their sexuality.
08/26/2016 04:13 PMPosted by frumpygonads
I'm a gay guy and I know if there was a gay character there'd be an angry mob against the fact that there is a gay character and if they do or do not resemble gay and that they are too "stereotypical" just enjoy the vague hints they put in. Bit like dumbledore being gay and Hermione being black.

Dumbledore is gay though. It's canon. The writer confirmed it. As inconsequential as Dumbledore's sexual orientation is, it's more than we have in Overwatch.
I'm a gay guy and I know if there was a gay character there'd be an angry mob against the fact that there is a gay character and if they do or do not resemble gay and that they are too "stereotypical" just enjoy the vague hints they put in. Bit like dumbledore being gay and Hermione being black.

I'm afraid if Blizzard came out saying "x" character is gay, people would say something along the lines of "Doesn't look that gay" or "You made this character too 'stereotypical', you're doing it wrong" the discussions would just move on to that instead of like you said, keeping it kinda vague.
these discussions would never end, either way.
08/26/2016 04:14 PMPosted by Zeron
But, in fear of sounding blunt. These are video game characters in a GAME. So why does it matter?

Why did you make this thread?

Exactly.

Which is one of the unfortunate points. Leaving it neutral nd leave it up to the players imagination is really the best way to go.

But, as I said, I am just simply stating an opinion for consideration.

its a game, play have fun for what it is.
[quote="207471480855"]T

But, in fear of sounding blunt. These are video game characters in a GAME. So why does it matter?

I literally gave some reasons why it matters. You could choose from any of them. Would any answer actually suffice for you? Im not trying to sound rude but I am honestly curious because people seem to be giving plenty of reasons, including Bliz themselves, but people keep asking that very same question and now I am confused. Unless it's supposed to be rhetorical in which everyone's mind is made up and this is a waste of time lol
08/26/2016 04:17 PMPosted by CuddlyFlower
08/26/2016 04:14 PMPosted by Zeron

Why did you make this thread?

For that very reason.
08/26/2016 04:17 PMPosted by Misui

I'm afraid if Blizzard came out saying "x" character is gay, people would say something along the lines of "Doesn't look that gay" or "You made this character too 'stereotypical', you're doing it wrong" the discussions would just move on to that instead of like you said, keeping it kinda vague.
these discussions would never end, either way.

That is probably true but everyone is always crying about something. It would be nice if people had designated places to go cry with others on the official forums. It might also make everything easier to sort out for the Mods and stuff. But fair point.
08/26/2016 04:15 PMPosted by Stickyfox
It disappoints me that people need to know this stuff about video game characters. As if kids don't have enough problems, you want to force sexual identity at them from video games;

What do you mean by force? That they suddenly turn gay?

So what is the problem then by having a gay hero.

Oh okay, I wanted to make sure that is what you were meaning.

Yes, it is very unfortunate that is whats happened. I hate it, that people get targeted for just being who they are. They are great people too, and nothing wrong with it. I would be the first to a persons defense just because they are being attacked for being gay.

On your statement later in your post, I am not saying it should be up to Blizzard per say as it should just be left up to the players to decide how they want their character to be viewed. keeping it neutral. That its just a game.

In other words, as I have said earlier,

I am not saying at all that there shouldn't be a gay character.

I am just saying, leave it neutral. is all.

Depending on what you mean by Neutral?

Wanna leave it up to blizzard? Dont post about it?

Want it at a 50/50? Good luck, Hetro is always favored. We have to fight for that.

Thats all.

How so? if its left to players OWN imagination, there is no 50/50 in that?

I apologize if I misunderstood your point.
The fact is most people think any strangers sexuality isnt there business. I don't want to know anyone's sexuality. Why do I have to have it spoofed down my throat and "celebrated."
If you think Mei and Zarya are a couple, by all means, there's plenty of fan fiction.
But why do you have to jam this political statement on the rest of us?
Blizzard should have no part of this.
Matter of fact, outside of Jimmy Raynor and Keerigan, which is the lamest romantic storyline in video game history, blizzard doesn't usually delve down this road.
So don't force them to just to appease your selfishness.
It disappoints me that people need to know this stuff about video game characters. As if kids don't have enough problems, you want to force sexual identity at them from video games; on top of peer pressure, the church, "gender awareness" classes at school, and TV and movies?

That's the exact opposite of what representing LGBTQ+ people is about.

Currently, people are pressured in to being straight and cisgender. If you're not, you have to come out about it because "straight" and "cis" are the defaults. We don't want to reverse it so that people are pressured into being gay and trans. We want people to not feel pressured into one rigid identity!

We need representation so show people (especially kids who don't get taught this!) that there are other options. If you're under the LGBTQ+ umbrella, that's great! But because only straight relationships and sexualities are considered acceptable content for media, people think anything else is unhealthy

you want to force sexual identity at them from video games; on top of peer pressure, the church, "gender awareness" classes at school, and TV and movies?

This already happens with straight stuff. An male infant can stare at a female nurse in the hospital (because babies stare at everything for no reason) and the adults will go "Whoaaa, we've got a ladies' man over here!"

Or a kid in first grade will have a friend who is of another gender and the teacher refers to one of them as the "boyfriend"

...Or any other forms of heteronormative garbage. Don't pressure anyone to identify any way. Problem is, since our society is already so biased towards straight people, we need to represent LGBTQ+ people so that pressure is relieved.

Hope this helps!
08/26/2016 04:18 PMPosted by Gigglez
[quote]
T

I literally gave some reasons why it matters. You could choose from any of them. Would any answer actually suffice for you? Im not trying to sound rude but I am honestly curious because people seem to be giving plenty of reasons, including Bliz themselves, but people keep asking that very same question and now I am confused. Unless it's supposed to be rhetorical in which everyone's mind is made up and this is a waste of time lol

I am sorry, let me rephrase that. You are right.

I meant to say, is it really necessary?

Ill edit the post.
Backstory is backstory. Adjectives are adjectives. Each is as valid as the last, and is up to the storyteller. If the storyteller is telling stories, then you can either a) keep reading and accept their choices or b) stop reading because you think they are making bad choices.

If Widowmaker has the adjectives: French, sniper, widow, murderer, married at one time, villain.

And Tracer has the adjectives: British, peppy, fast, time-traveler, good-hearted.

It's no different than Reaper having the adjectives: Ruthless, sneaky, dangerous, gay, talon, edgy.

There is literally no difference. There isn't anything inherently different about the descriptor of "gay" in a narrative sense. It is part of who the storyteller decided they are, and that's that, the same way D.Va is from Korea and plays video games and how Mei is scientific and curious and apologetic.

The only reason why people react to "gayness" this way is because of what they are associating with it.

So, in short OP, I guarantee you we wouldn't be having this discussion if a hero was suddenly described as "shy" or a "lady's man" or "into classical music".

But, we would likely be having a similar discussion if a character was described as "pro-choice" or "religious" or a "Trump supporter" because each of us brings some sort of our own bias and opinion to those labels.

At the end of the day, the storyteller keeps telling the story, and if you don't like how the person paints the picture, you can stop turning the pages or accept it and move on.
tl;dr: OP is such a bigot he would start disliking a character based on his sexuality, despite this having nothing to do with the game.
It disappoints me that people need to know this stuff about video game characters. As if kids don't have enough problems, you want to force sexual identity at them from video games; on top of peer pressure, the church, "gender awareness" classes at school, and TV and movies.
lmao what disappoints me is that you think children who are gay don't have the stress of sexual identity because all they have for comparison in video games is straight people - I grew up with mostly only video games as reflection and it would of been a nice sign of respect to realise gay people exist and are just like everyone else.

I don't think it should be "forced" into video games but should appear just as much as !@#$%^-*!@#$s. You know, that thing called equality. Remove all relationships or include all relationships, simple as.
08/26/2016 04:10 PMPosted by Aiyles

No, actually it does not. I made that clear I do not have a problem with people being gay.

Just don't push it on me, and respect me as a person, just like they want to be respected.

But that is not the point I was trying t make anyway.

The point is, just leave it neutral. Everyones happy.

No matter how much you think being gay is fine (which it is!) I need to point out that this is still very one-sided.

Some people use interpret "respect" to mean "the state of being treated like a human being." Other people interpret it to mean "the state of being treated like an authority."

Asking for LGBTQ+ heroes is asking for "human being" respect.
Asking for only LGBTQ+ sexuality to be excluded is asking for "authority" respect.

----

(I've posted something like this a ton of times today but it's so important!)

The game can't possibly "remain" neutral regarding sexuality because sexuality in Overwatch has existed since day one. Widowmaker's model is oversexualized. She was married to a man. Ana has a daughter. Users regularly post "We need swimsuit skins!" threads. And they make those "What hero would you go on a date with?" threads.

If you take issue with sexuality in video games, you should be taking issue with those examples as well.

The only reason most people take issue with LGBTQ+ sexualities is because it does not benefit them personally.

Thats kind of unfair to say that its me having an issue with sexuality in a game.

But not say the same of those people who actually want sexuality in a game.

see my point?
08/26/2016 04:24 PMPosted by frumpygonads
It disappoints me that people need to know this stuff about video game characters. As if kids don't have enough problems, you want to force sexual identity at them from video games; on top of peer pressure, the church, "gender awareness" classes at school, and TV and movies.
lmao what disappoints me is that you think children who are gay don't have the stress of sexual identity because all they have for comparison in video games is straight people - I grew up with mostly only video games as reflection and it would of been a nice sign of respect to realise gay people exist and are just like everyone else.

I don't think it should be "forced" into video games but should appear just as much as !@#$%^-*!@#$s. You know, that thing called equality. Remove all relationships or include all relationships, simple as.
lmao apparently the technically term for straight people needs to be blurrd out :p
Just wanted to let you know OP, that 76 is a gay dad.

He's a pretty great guy though, so I hope this doesn't taint your opinion on your favorite character.

I am sorry, let me rephrase that. You are right.

I meant to say, is it really necessary?

Ill edit the post.

Oh no, it's totally fine I was just entirely confused lol.

IMO it isn't entirely necessary but since they already introduced romantic relationships (and some could argue sexual because ana had a kid even though that could be complicated... for another post I think lol) it shouldnt be a big deal. I mean no one is freaking out about how Mei and Winston interact (Im not sure if it's flirting or not, tbh), and someone said that Lucio and Dva sound like they are flirting in game, and there were robots shagging it up with humans.. so while it isnt necessary, it seems fitting.

It seems MORE fitting since Blizz confirmed that it shall be a thing one day.
But as I said before, NONE of the lore is necessary to the game, REALLY. Blizz just decided it was/is/wants it to be.

I highly doubt Blizz is going to let us decide what is and isn't necessary, though.