Concern on "Heros Being Gay"

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 20 Next
The only way for them to do that is to make them get rid of the lore entirely.

Csgo for example, have no lore, which is why every characters are like a copy and paste version of one another, you still see different skins color in them, but otherwise, they are like cardboard boxes with no personality.

I think this is the main reason why diversity is added into a game like overwatch, since apparently, they gave every heroes different kind of dialogues, turning them into a unique character with a personality.

DVA is depict as a gamer, cheerful. Lucio is quite optimistic, Reaper is edgy, and Mccree is laid back etc. If Dev want the lore to have a deeper meaning in it, they have to add some kind of diversity in here. Ultimately, the decision is their to make.

By asking them not to reveal the heroes' sexual preference is the same thing as getting rid of heroes' characters, backgrounds, and ethnicity behind them.

Why does it matter that much to you? I don't care if my hero is a female or a male, I don't care about their skin colors, I shouldn't care about their sexual preferences as well. If my favorite hero turns out to be gay or straight, I would still play them anyway.

So why do you care whether or not Blizz add gay heroes in it?
08/26/2016 04:21 PMPosted by Bootytime
The fact is most people think any strangers sexuality isnt there business. I don't want to know anyone's sexuality. Why do I have to have it spoofed down my throat and "celebrated."
If you think Mei and Zarya are a couple, by all means, there's plenty of fan fiction.
But why do you have to jam this political statement on the rest of us?
Blizzard should have no part of this.
Matter of fact, outside of Jimmy Raynor and Keerigan, which is the lamest romantic storyline in video game history, blizzard doesn't usually delve down this road.
So don't force them to just to appease your selfishness.

...you realize blizzard said that would have gay heroes on their own accord without any real pressure. If you have problems knowing someone is gay, or them celebrating it, that's pretty objectively homophobic. Do you want us to hide our sexualities completely? Make our relationships secret? What's happening isn't "shoving it down your throat."
There are no current relationships in Overwatch. Matter of fact there's only 2 known sexual identies. Widow who's straight, and genji who's gay.
How do I know genji is gay? Because 16 million players have muttered it.
08/26/2016 04:22 PMPosted by Zeron
I am sorry, let me rephrase that. You are right.

I meant to say, is it really necessary?

Ill edit the post.

This has many answers.
1. It is not necessary in the sense that no one is going to die in real life just because we don't know who the gay hero is.
2. For gay people it is nice to see, since it is a sign of acceptance. Same reason pride parades exist.
3. Lore wise it can be necessary, so relationships between characters can be explained (Why does X hate Y? Oh, because Y broke up with X).
However, it is Blizzard's decision, since it is their story.
08/26/2016 04:23 PMPosted by SpaceCat
Backstory is backstory. Adjectives are adjectives. Each is as valid as the last, and is up to the storyteller. If the storyteller is telling stories, then you can either a) keep reading and accept their choices or b) stop reading because you think they are making bad choices.

If Widowmaker has the adjectives: French, sniper, widow, murderer, married at one time, villain.

And Tracer has the adjectives: British, peppy, fast, time-traveler, good-hearted.

It's no different than Reaper having the adjectives: Ruthless, sneaky, dangerous, gay, talon, edgy.

There is literally no difference. There isn't anything inherently different about the descriptor of "gay" in a narrative sense. It is part of who the storyteller decided they are, and that's that, the same way D.Va is from Korea and plays video games and how Mei is scientific and curious and apologetic.

The only reason why people react to "gayness" this way is because of what they are associating with it.

So, in short OP, I guarantee you we wouldn't be having this discussion if a hero was suddenly described as "shy" or a "lady's man" or "into classical music".

But, we would likely be having a similar discussion if a character was described as "pro-choice" or "religious" or a "Trump supporter" because each of us brings some sort of our own bias and opinion to those labels.

At the end of the day, the storyteller keeps telling the story, and if you don't like how the person paints the picture, you can stop turning the pages or accept it and move on.

Understood.

Which is why I asked the question. Why is it necessary to put it in to begin with? All it would do is bring in uneccessary drama.

But, with the understanding of the issues of course, just as one side has the right to say it should be in, the other side has the right to say it sholdnt.

I am on the side of, just leave it neutral.

But I understand all your points.
08/26/2016 04:21 PMPosted by Bootytime
Why do I have to have it spoofed down my throat and "celebrated."

EXCUSE YOU IT'S BECAUSE WE'RE FABULOUS

Sorry. I'm to make my posts a little more lighthearted and that seemed appropriate.
But why do you have to jam this political statement on the rest of us?

There is nothing inherently political about the existence of LGBTQ+ people.

Including a character who has dyed black hair is not a political statement.
Including a character who is 5'7" is not a political statement.
Including a character who lives in an apartment with a dog is not a political statement.
Including a character who has as job as a salesperson is not a political statement.
Including a character who likes to eat salads is not a political statement.

Being LGBTQ+ is just another character trait. Just another type of human.

EDIT: One more thing!

Widow who's straight

We actually can't be sure of that!

Widow could be:

bisexual
pansexual
asexual (but still into men in one way)
aromantic (but still into men in another way)
...with a handful of other options!

And Widow flirts with Mercy after she Resurrects her. So, if anything, it's unreasonable to assume she's straight, given that she flirts with women!

~lotsa possibilities~
08/26/2016 04:06 PMPosted by Joey
08/26/2016 03:56 PMPosted by Cherub
There is literally no reason why you wouldn't want a character to be gay that isn't homophobic.

"There is literally no reason why you would want a character to be gay that isn't heterophobic"

see how stupid it sounds?

This has already been called out into oblivion for being laughably bad, but since you directly asked me, I'll reply as well:

First of all, no, having characters be gay isn't heterophobic. Because the straight characters will always exist.

"Heterophobic" isn't even a thing that exists.
No one is heterophobic.

There is anger at straight people, because they arrogantly post bigoted, factless dribble like this and claim it to be the #truth.... and any opposition or different opinion is "whining sjw entitlement that doesn't actually matter"...

But a character being made gay doesn't in any way, shape, or form, discriminate against straight people...

I would love to have your life: one where you are so void of discrimination that you can be this ignorant, this toxic, this arrogant, and get on with your life perfectly fine.

But I can't because people literally become violent at the thought of Soldier 76 being gay, lmfao....

Nothing negative comes out of a character being gay, except to homophobic people.
And yet nothing positive comes out of ALL characters being straight, except to homophobic people.

Regardless, straight characters will ALWAYS outnumber gay characters in games. You will always have the upperhand, you will always benefit more, you will ALWAYS feel represented in your media that you enjoy.

We don't get that experience hardly ever.

And yet you still have the audacity to sit here and lecture US that what we say "doesn't matter", that "gay characters dont matter" that its "heterophobic" to ask for a gay character.

-*!@ right off with this asinine ignorant bull#$%^.
08/26/2016 04:29 PMPosted by Bootytime
There are no current relationships in Overwatch. Matter of fact there's only 2 known sexual identies. Widow who's straight, and genji who's gay.

Well widow could be bi but
08/26/2016 04:32 PMPosted by greetomatic
08/26/2016 04:29 PMPosted by Bootytime

Well widow could be bi but

but she ate her husband and has no feelings so we might never know.
I think that talking about the sexual orientation of any character, should not be problem. If developers would make mention of the possible !@#$%^-*!@ity in some future comic or some phrase of the game, not change the way I see it.

Many people like me are interested in the fanfic and precisely Overwatch has many characters that people would like them to be gay. This is also seen in many fanarts as McCree x Hanzo or Pharmercy.

A character will not be worse or better for being gay
A character will not get a nerf for being gay
You're not going to lose your skills by playing a gay character

Open your mind a bit and stop thinking so as homophobic. Respect the free choice of creators and their decisions if they ever confirmed anything.
Honestly, the only reason for making a character gay (or saying that they have a specific sexuality, straight gay or otherwise) would be if it were 1. not character-breaking and 2. would be integral to the story to reveal a heroes love interest. What do I mean by that? well, consider Widowmaker. The only reason it was reveald that she had a husband was for the part of her killing her husband, a symbolism of talons brainwashing.The reveal of Widowmaker having a husband and therefor being straight (or bi) was both integral to the story and not character-breaking. If they were to say, make a hero gay by giving them a love interest of the same sex, it would have to be for another purpose than saying "oh look how progressive and tollorent we are by having a gay character.", the reveal of that love interest would have to make sense in a story perspective and character perspecitve. That being said I'm all for having a gay character in Overwatch, but I would cry myself to sleep if we didn't.
08/26/2016 04:37 PMPosted by Testsubject
Honestly, the only reason for making a character gay (or saying that they have a specific sexuality, straight gay or otherwise) would be if it were 1. not character-breaking and 2. would be integral to the story to reveal a heroes love interest. What do I mean by that? well, consider Widowmaker. The only reason it was reveald that she had a husband was for the part of her killing her husband, a symbolism of talons brainwashing.The reveal of Widowmaker having a husband and therefor being straight (or bi) was both integral to the story and not character-breaking. If they were to say, make a hero gay by giving them a love interest of the same sex, it would have to be for another purpose than saying "oh look how progressive and tollorent we are by having a gay character.", the reveal of that love interest would have to make sense in a story perspective and character perspecitve. That being said I'm all for having a gay character in Overwatch, but I would cry myself to sleep if we didn't.

I think that's what they are going for because they want it to seem natural and to be part of the story, not some awkward stamp on the forehead.
08/26/2016 04:31 PMPosted by Cherub
08/26/2016 04:06 PMPosted by Joey

"There is literally no reason why you would want a character to be gay that isn't heterophobic"

see how stupid it sounds?

This has already been called out into oblivion for being laughably bad, but since you directly asked me, I'll reply as well:

First of all, no, having characters be gay isn't heterophobic. Because the straight characters will always exist.

"Heterophobic" isn't even a thing that exists.
No one is heterophobic.

There is anger at straight people, because they arrogantly post bigoted, factless dribble like this and claim it to be the #truth.... and any opposition or different opinion is "whining sjw entitlement that doesn't actually matter"...

But a character being made gay doesn't in any way, shape, or form, discriminate against straight people...

I would love to have your life: one where you are so void of discrimination that you can be this ignorant, this toxic, this arrogant, and get on with your life perfectly fine.

But I can't because people literally become violent at the thought of Soldier 76 being gay, lmfao....

Nothing negative comes out of a character being gay, except to homophobic people.
And yet nothing positive comes out of ALL characters being straight, except to homophobic people.

Regardless, straight characters will ALWAYS outnumber gay characters in games. You will always have the upperhand, you will always benefit more, you will ALWAYS feel represented in your media that you enjoy.

We don't get that experience hardly ever.

And yet you still have the audacity to sit here and lecture US that what we say "doesn't matter", that "gay characters dont matter" that its "heterophobic" to ask for a gay character.

-*!@ right off with this asinine ignorant bull#$%^.

!@#$*#!***% you're so right. You're so right I want to team up with you and kick all these homophobic straight people's asses on overwatch :p
I will say this once as many have probably said it: they could all be gay for all you know. Not everyone has to advertise it and I think the mystery is good for people to dream/imagine it. Haven't you seen all the Mercy/Pharah fan art?
The moral of the story kids, is that we're all gonna die, this is irrelevant, it's just a video game, and you need to get a life other than worry about video game characters' sexuality...
1) We already know one or more characters are LGBT in game. It is fact.

2) We don't know which one yet, but we do know at least 2 characters had relationships in the lore (Widowmakers marriage, and obviously Ana had sexual intercourse at some point((unless it was donor stuff)).

3) If having Reaper, S76, DVa, or any others being gay makes you not want to play them just because they are LGBT, then you have the problem.

4) Lore outside the game is important to the characters, because it defines them, and yes, sexuality is part of what defines a person. It is who they find attractive, who they will most likely fall in love with (with exceptions of course, there are always exceptions), etc.

5)Every game with characters, since the beginning of character games, has had people care about characters (and not just game play).
People go so far to make an issue out of anything these days... It is a game ffs, just play and stop getting offended by everything
Since gay people are essentially identical to straight people, then we could have a little option when you choose your hero to pick 'gay' or 'straight', maybe with an 'other' option too if you're promiscuous or something. Then you'd be able to play the game with your hero, with the gay setting you like, and it would have no effect on the gameplay since it's rated "T" and has no sexual content.
08/26/2016 04:45 PMPosted by SamStrelitz
Since gay people are essentially identical to straight people, then we could have a little option when you choose your hero to pick 'gay' or 'straight', maybe with an 'other' option too if you're promiscuous or something. Then you'd be able to play the game with your hero, with the gay setting you like, and it would have no effect on the gameplay since it's rated "T" and has no sexual content.

Google bisexual please.
08/26/2016 04:45 PMPosted by SamStrelitz

Its not intended to be for game play......