Minimap - time to visit this again

General Discussion
Overwatch is a amazing competitive game. We can all agree on that. But while in casual play I think we should allow the player to toggle minimap on/off.

The minimap will show the location of the heath packs as well as the location of your teammates (never your enemy)

You should be able to tell which floor you are on by looking at the minimap.

Purpose of Minimap:
To help new players learn. Sure the maps are small. BUT to a new player who just joined the game its huge. Its fast and thus the ability to turn it on/off would help them get better at the game. Its a tool to learn and prepare for competitive.

While in competitive it would remain off.

To grow the community and to help new players learn, I would like the community to support/ improve upon it, thank you.
Highly Rated
Giving a new player a crutch would just make them fall once you kick it out from under them
I think this is a good idea. They should be able to be given a chance to learn the map and know where the health packs are rather than being yelled at their teammates for being sht. It's not a good first experience if the first few games they play are with toxic players.

BUT. One thing that the minimap should not have is the location of the enemy. It would completely ruin Sonic Arrow and Infrared Sight.
Mini map ruins every game imo.
Figuring out the location of the health pack manually by exploring the map is part of the learning process specifically in this game. New players can go to custom game skirmish and explore the map.

As for teammates location, I am pretty sure seeing the bright blue indicator on the screen is much, much more helpful and better in giving visual knowledge than staring at a minimap.

The first time I tried this game in the last beta, I also questioned the missing of a minimap, since I came from BF, CoD, and CS. But the more I play, the more I realize that minimap is 100% unneeded in Overwatch. You just have to focus on your ears and whatever in front of your camera.
When teaching a child to read, you do NOT read the book for them. This is what you are suggesting. It will not help new players learn.
09/19/2016 01:13 AMPosted by Steve
When teaching a child to read, you do NOT read the book for them. This is what you are suggesting. It will not help new players learn.

When teaching a child to ride a bike you don't give them the bike and tell them to figure it out.

The minimaps wont shot your opponents even if you engage them. Nor if a heath pack is taken. It purpose is to teach you. It will show the location of your team mates so it can help you were to position certain heroes. that is why I suggested there be a option to toggle it on/off. If you are a good player and you already know the map toggle it off, play it like you would in competitive.

This is only for casual play not competitive.

Do you just chuck the book at them then?
please no mini map.

play the game a few times and you will have zero need for one
09/19/2016 05:30 AMPosted by prizim
please no mini map.

play the game a few times and you will have zero need for one

This is only for casual and it should not effect the game play. your opponent wont appear on the minimap. only your teammates will. You will learn the routes so when you go to competitive you are more prepared and a better player.

you CAN turn it on and OFF. I am a new player and I want to learn the game but I am thinking to myself that a minimap would help so I can train for competitive. There is a difference when you watch a video on youtube and do it yourself and keep doing it yourself.
A minimap would ruin the usage of widow's ult or hanzo's sonar arrow. This is something that was touched upon by blizzard at one point and they have said they will not be adding a minimap.
09/19/2016 06:38 AMPosted by Jun1
A minimap would ruin the usage of widow's ult or hanzo's sonar arrow. This is something that was touched upon by blizzard at one point and they have said they will not be adding a minimap.

Did you read what i wrote. You cant see thought he walls.The minimap will only show you and your team mates.

the Mimimap WILL NOT display the opponents even when you ulti to reveal them. They WILL NOT show up on the minimap. Its a tool to help you learn the maps, so you can join competitive play.

here is a better idea. The map will only show you in it. No one else.
We don't have any plans for adding a mini-map to the game. Eventually, we would like to add a map for Observers in esport broadcasting but this is a ways off.

Our reasoning for not adding a minimap is that players claim they want this to solve navigation issues but more often than not, minimaps in FPS with small maps like OW do not actually help you learn the map much quicker than just playing it a few times. What tends to happen is players demand more and more information on the minimap (enemies in particular). What was originally intended to "help newer players" actually becomes a very high skill player tool (ask a MOBA or COD player how important the minimap is to competitive play).

We definitely agree that helping newer players learn maps is a worthy cause. We just disagree that adding a minimap to the game is the proper solution.
09/19/2016 08:33 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
What was originally intended to "help newer players" actually becomes a very high skill player tool (ask a MOBA or COD player how important the minimap is to competitive play).

I don't know about MOBAs, but I know that in the highest levels of COD play, the minimap is moot due to the high level of communication found in a structured team, especially since teams are smaller and the games are objective focused. This is the same reason that a suppressor is useless.

It's funny, whenever I come out of COD into OW, I feel like whenever I fire I show up on a minimap.

Minimaps really dont help players learn maps, though.
We don't have any plans for adding a mini-map to the game. Eventually, we would like to add a map for Observers in esport broadcasting but this is a ways off.

Our reasoning for not adding a minimap is that players claim they want this to solve navigation issues but more often than not, minimaps in FPS with small maps like OW do not actually help you learn the map much quicker than just playing it a few times. What tends to happen is players demand more and more information on the minimap (enemies in particular). What was originally intended to "help newer players" actually becomes a very high skill player tool (ask a MOBA or COD player how important the minimap is to competitive play).

We definitely agree that helping newer players learn maps is a worthy cause. We just disagree that adding a minimap to the game is the proper solution.

I agree to not giving us a mini map, but how about just giving us a mode to WANDER the maps without being bothered in training. I still can barely find the stupid health pick ups.

Holy !@#$ dude, did your parents just not give a damn? When i learned to ride a bike my dad taught me how. When I learned how to drive, he didn't just put me behind the wheel and say "figure it out"

When he taught me how to shoot a rifle and a revolver, he DAMN sure didn't just give me the gun.
09/19/2016 09:07 AMPosted by TheLeoCat
I agree to not giving us a mini map, but how about just giving us a mode to WANDER the maps without being bothered in training. I still can barely find the stupid health pick ups.

Play > Custom Game > Set to Skirmish > Play every map to your hearts desire without anyone shooting at you.
09/19/2016 09:07 AMPosted by TheLeoCat

Make a custom match with only yourself and set the game mode to skirmish.

I never felt the need for a mini-map in OW. I enjoy finding new routes on my own by chance, and the maps are not so big.

And what about plain awareness of your team? Its the only reason I want a minimap, not to see my enemies, but to know where my allies are exactly.

Although if we could see our allies through walls (not just that tiny, imprecise arrow), it would do a good enough job.

Perfect. For new players, you can always set up a custom and explore. They already have the blueline direct path marked. That's more than enough. Every game has a learning curve and it's not the game's responsibility to reduce that to zero, since that depends on the player largely, not the game.