Any word on replays?

General Discussion
Maybe it's just because I haven't kept my ear as firmly planted to the ground recently, but I haven't heard anything about replays in a long time, which is odd, because it seems obvious to me that it should be the absolute focus for the next item on the menu.

Not only does every top level competitor in every sport use recordings of themselves to improve, and so your competitive community would flourish, but also a replay feature would allow a community of content creators to spring up around the game with things like deep analysis of top players, after the fact play-by-plays, dissections of team fights, the list goes on.

I feel like every day spent without a replay feature is a day that some of the potential for this game goes out the window.
We're still a ways off from this feature. I would not expect it before the end of this year.

It's something we really want to work on, but we haven't had the opportunity to just yet. We're really passionate about the feature and want it in the game badly.
Thanks for the update, Mr. Kaplan!
09/06/2016 08:55 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We're still a ways off from this feature. I would not expect it before the end of this year.

It's something we really want to work on, but we haven't had the opportunity to just yet. We're really passionate about the feature and want it in the game badly.

It's hard with sombra hacking your HQ and all
Knowing it's as important to you as it is to us, I'm assured that it's coming and it will be done well. Thanks for the update.
Cheers for the reply Jeff :)
That's great to know you're interested in this feature Jeff and that the team has a passion for seeking new ways to improve the game, which is already fantastic. Please don't think that this is a pressing issue though, they're multiple 3rd party programs that can offer replays and preserve highlights / potg / potm's.
I for one am happy you are focusing on what you feel is of higher priority at this stage. All the best to you and the team.
I think Nvidia has a decent recording feature? I recall seeing something about it, buy I never use it myself.
Would you be able to elaborate on what is taking more of a precedence at this point in time?
I noticed this though. It might not be much, but if you use the streaming thing for FB while playing OW. The video does seem to get saved on FB profiles. Though there is no way to convert it to like YouTube, but that is one way to share it with friends.
09/06/2016 01:35 PMPosted by ImpRoV
Would you be able to elaborate on what is taking more of a precedence at this point in time?

I would guess fixing S2 MM. Or fine-tuning the engine. Or working on the production of the Overwatch World Cup. Or programming/tinkering with Sombra and other new heroes. Or testing new maps. Or, they redistributed their best programmers once the 60+tick improvement was done, and they were hoping that no one would notice the glaring lack of personal and server-side demos.

But in all probability, it does take some concerted effort and time to implement demos properly. HLTV for HL took a long time for valve to implement, so I understand why it's taking a long time. What I can't figure out is why did they not hire some people a year ago to work on that feature so that it can be out already? Or out for launch? Or beta?

At this point, adding new heroes should be the very last priority. The highest should be demos, encouraging league play, fixing comp S2 matchmaking/MMR, balancing, and additional maps. Beyond that, they should be working on custom-optioned 120+ tickrate servers for league play, better spectate mode, highly precise personal demos that record all player inputs and all server inputs, etc. But that takes time, so I understand, Jeff :).

But maybe since you're reading this, please fix matchmaking so that I don't lose twice as much mmr per loss as I gain for a win. -40, +20, -40...feels bad and I'm boycotting competitive until it is fixed. :) http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/ZePwnage-1309/heroes/11
Any timetable on other spectator improvements other than replay functionality?
i use plays.tv and just hit a button to record the last 60 seconds when something neat happens

cant tell you how many times i accidentally logged off before recording a kick !@# potg tho T_T
09/06/2016 11:35 AMPosted by SanJazen
they're multiple 3rd party programs that can offer replays and preserve highlights / potg / potm's.

09/06/2016 11:49 AMPosted by Matthias
I think Nvidia has a decent recording feature? I recall seeing something about it, buy I never use it myself.

09/06/2016 03:20 PMPosted by JaredFondle
i use plays.tv and just hit a button to record the last 60 seconds when something neat happens

Sorry if my original post was misunderstood, but this is not the replay feature that I was talking about. The feature that you guys are talking about is called "screen capture", and it's great for things like making montages, but it's incapable of showing you anything that you didn't record on your screen.

A proper, fully implemented replay feature would allow you to record gameplay from the server itself, so that later you could go back and see things from other peoples perspective, or maybe even from a flying freecam, as well as scrub through the timeline at will, and other potential features. Allowing you to view something like a team fight from many angles and perspectives, creating a much more detailed understanding of what's going on than you could possibly get from just screen capture.

A feature like this would become an invaluable tool for players who want to hyper-analyze their mistakes in order to get better at the game, as well as internet personalities who want to create overwatch content, but aren't satisfied with the limitations of screen capture.
09/07/2016 10:34 AMPosted by Bones
09/06/2016 11:35 AMPosted by SanJazen
they're multiple 3rd party programs that can offer replays and preserve highlights / potg / potm's.

09/06/2016 11:49 AMPosted by Matthias

09/06/2016 03:20 PMPosted by JaredFondle

Sorry if my original post was misunderstood, but this is not the replay feature that I was talking about. The feature that you guys are talking about is called "screen capture", and it's great for things like making montages, but it's incapable of showing you anything that you didn't record on your screen.

A proper, fully implemented replay feature would allow you to record gameplay from the server itself, so that later you could go back and see things from other peoples perspective, or maybe even from a flying freecam, as well as scrub through the timeline at will, and other potential features. Allowing you to view something like a team fight from many angles and perspectives, creating a much more detailed understanding of what's going on than you could possibly get from just screen capture.

A feature like this would become an invaluable tool for players who want to hyper-analyze their mistakes in order to get better at the game, as well as internet personalities who want to create overwatch content, but aren't satisfied with the limitations of screen capture.

You are right Bones. I was referring to programs like Nvidia's ShadowPlay, OverWolf etc. and these are limited by what is shown on your own screen.
The replay features you've described would be amazingly useful for analyzing gameplay all round, especially within the E Sports scene and far surpass anything screen capture can come close to.
Jeff did acknowledge that he and the OW Teams understand this too yet I feel that they're prioritizing their immense workload to make this game for better for everyone from the casual gamer, strategists (like yourself) to content creators and of course pro teams in the E Sports scene.
I'm certain the teams are working really hard to get us all the things we'd love as quickly as possible.
I know it's an old thread but I wanted to reinforce that this is a key feature that is much needed for people trying to improve. I remember my time in Starcraft (both 1 and 2) was fueled by replay watching and trying to understand what the other guy did that messed me up or what I did that turned the tide in my favor. With a 6v6, this becomes exponentially more important, because sometimes based on what is on your screen, you literally have no clue what the hell happened that lost you the game, so you can't improve on your failures.

Of course I understand that it's challenging and would take some good amount of effort to create something that's really helpful, but I would prioritize this over, say, new heroes or new maps.
I second this. Some of my pro Quake and CS friends (some of my countries top FPSers) have stopped playing (not all together, but taking it seriously as a comp game) because features like this is missing. Replays would be a huge improvement.

PS, I'm super noob compared to them...
10/18/2016 05:09 PMPosted by n4rzul
I second this. Some of my pro Quake and CS friends (some of my countries top FPSers) have stopped playing (not all together, but taking it seriously as a comp game) because features like this is missing. Replays would be a huge improvement.

Nice Necro
10/18/2016 05:12 PMPosted by Kagrenac
10/18/2016 05:09 PMPosted by n4rzul

Nice Necro

I know! I saw Jeff and had a insta-triggered "HE REPLIED TO THIS!? ;_;" moment.