Calibration on competitive

General Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
Blizz, to improve the calibration system add a rule requiring everyone to stay in the game to end. If someone leave, the game do not count on the calibration.

Why?
Because how the system will can calibrate sorrectly if some matchs you need to wait 1 minute afk in the base to leave or wait some people on the other team just leave because someone ragequit the game.

Also, make the punishment for leavers more severe. Some time sh*t happens and you will need to leave. Ok, everyone can udertand this. But this 10 minuts ban for leave look like a joke. This punishment need to be 24h at least. And 3 leaves in a row season ban.
The reason we don't nullify a match if someone leaves after the match has been going for over a minute is because that would create a scenario where players are encouraged to leave matches that are going poorly for their team. The possibilities for collusion are far too great. It's clear that players do not like matches that involve leavers. The last thing we want to do is give players a gameplay impacting reason to leave matches (such as nullifying the match results for their buddies... or even strangers).

We did severely increase the penalties for leavers in Season 2. If we have room to increase these more, we will. We are constantly trying to balance the complaints of players who legitimately get disconnected (and therefore take a leaver penalty) with players who want leavers punished more aggressively. We're basically calibrating toward an acceptable place. But the penalties are a lot more aggressive than Season 1. If we can increase them without causing legitimate players to have a bad experience, we will.
Since this topic is about competitive, to avoid making a new thread,
I would like to make a simple question,
does winning/loosing on a streak make you win/loose more SR?
09/14/2016 05:04 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
The reason we don't nullify a match if someone leaves after the match has been going for over a minute is because that would create a scenario where players are encouraged to leave matches that are going poorly for their team. The possibilities for collusion are far too great. It's clear that players do not like matches that involve leavers. The last thing we want to do is give players a gameplay impacting reason to leave matches (such as nullifying the match results for their buddies... or even strangers).

We did severely increase the penalties for leavers in Season 2. If we have room to increase these more, we will. We are constantly trying to balance the complaints of players who legitimately get disconnected (and therefore take a leaver penalty) with players who want leavers punished more aggressively. We're basically calibrating toward an acceptable place. But the penalties are a lot more aggressive than Season 1. If we can increase them without causing legitimate players to have a bad experience, we will.
The punishment is fair and there's not much you can change without making it too harsh or too lenient. It's just comes down to the actual leavers at this point and not the system imo
Log the frequency of leavers and match them together please.
09/14/2016 05:09 PMPosted by PaulWall3

The punishment is fair and there's not much you can change without making it too harsh or too lenient. It's just comes down to the actual leavers at this point and not the system imo

It's reaching the point that it's starting to hurt the game.

Have you considered altering game rules to accommodate for leavers? Such as more hp for the down team or longer res timers for the team that has a full 6 man?

Not enough to make leaving a viable winning strat but enough so that a possibility of victory still exists for the team that's down a player.

Did you consider restricting entering another game while the left game is still in progress, leaving the only option to rejoin the left game for the leaver?
09/14/2016 05:13 PMPosted by iSinner

Did you consider restricting entering another game while the left game is still in progress, leaving the only option to rejoin the left game for the leaver?

This is how the system works. If it ever does not behave this way, that'd be a bug...
09/14/2016 05:09 PMPosted by MartinCL
Since this topic is about competitive, to avoid making a new thread,
I would like to make a simple question,
does winning/loosing on a streak make you win/loose more SR?
use the search function in the forum.
09/14/2016 05:12 PMPosted by Vgman
Have you considered altering game rules to accommodate for leavers? Such as more hp for the down team or longer res timers for the team that has a full 6 man?

Not enough to make leaving a viable winning strat but enough so that a possibility of victory still exists for the team that's down a player.

We have discussed ideas like this but generally we're not fans of "catch up" mechanics. They are very challenging to balance. Usually, there ends up being a perception of the "catch up" mechanic either being too strong and therefore unbalanced or not strong enough, in which case, why have it? We want there to be a "feel" to OW, meaning that you know what it takes to kill Tracer or Widowmaker and having that feel different seems off to us. We have similar feelings about increased spawn times or ult generation.
What about adding players in the match randomly from qp whenever someone leaves? Yeah, they might be bad or might mess around but it's still better than playing 6vs5, right?
Jeff please help, im from LAS and we have ping issues since 2 months ago aprox... we have no support assistant because they avoid answer about this issue and the game its unnplayable to many people, i dont know what to do, im so frustrated, i feel ignored by blizz, please i just wanna play or be listen please its have been too much time

I feel that if you are not partied with the leaver you should not 'lose' when they leave it's completely out of your hands as you have no real relation to them

but if you are in a manual party with them you should 'lose' as well
09/14/2016 05:17 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

We have discussed ideas like this but generally we're not fans of "catch up" mechanics. They are very challenging to balance. Usually, there ends up being a perception of the "catch up" mechanic either being too strong and therefore unbalanced or not strong enough, in which case, why have it? We want there to be a "feel" to OW, meaning that you know what it takes to kill Tracer or Widowmaker and having that feel different seems off to us. We have similar feelings about increased spawn times or ult generation.

And what about Backfill? Maybe an option 'I agree to be backfilled' in competitive and thus loosing or winning less if the match is still lost or won.

Another thing is that I sometimes have to deal with DC's. One of my placement matches was counted as a loss due a DC. Which is ok with me, I'm more angry at my provider. But as it also always changes my IP, I couldn't even rejoin the match. Is there a way to be recognized accountwise by the system or something? When it happens, it takes usually 15-20 seconds till I'm online again, so chances are that the match isnt already decided.
sorry for write about the ping issues in LAS in this thread but there are so many people with this problem and we have no answer please
I sincerely hope you are working on your reconnect system if you are looking to increasing punishment. The reconnect system simply dosnt work for myself and a lot of people. I for example get timed out by my provider once a day at seemingly random times and cant reconnect afterwards. Losing points for reasons beyond my control is frustrating enough.
09/14/2016 05:28 PMPosted by Ideentoeter
09/14/2016 05:17 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

And what about Backfill? Maybe an option 'I agree to be backfilled' in competitive and thus loosing or winning less if the match is still lost or won.

Another thing is that I sometimes have to deal with DC's. One of my placement matches was counted as a loss due a DC. Which is ok with me, I'm more angry at my provider. But as it also always changes my IP, I couldn't even rejoin the match. Is there a way to be recognized accountwise by the system or something? When it happens, it takes usually 15-20 seconds till I'm online again, so chances are that the match isnt already decided.

I would voluntarily queue to backfill for teams if I knew I wouldn't be penalized if I lost. However I don't believe you can reward a backfill player either, because then players would just backfill for the chance to go up and never go down in SR#.
09/14/2016 05:33 PMPosted by Poppyspy

I would voluntarily queue to backfill for teams if I knew I wouldn't be penalized if I lost. However I don't believe you can reward a backfill player either, because then players would just backfill for the chance to go up and never go down in SR#.

I wouldn't even mind getting nothing for backfill, just the chance of better games and 1 hero limit would be enough :D