Suspended due to disconnects?

General Discussion
1 2 3 20 Next
I am currently suspended from ranked gameplay for 10 minutes because of disconnects. It has been happening on and off today, and I am normally allowed to rejoin but this time it banned me? I mean hell, I was just disconnected at the title screen as I typed this up, do I have to worry about being permabanned because of this?
Highly Rated
if your internet isn't reliable, you shouldn't be playing comp.
Highly Rated
......... have you tried fixing/trying something new to stop disconnecting?

or is it reliably going to happen again in the next match too....
Highly Rated
How many times did you disconnect before making this thread?

At the third one, maybe even the second, I would've stopped trying to play and see what's up with my computer, router, and ISP in that order.
you wont have to worry about a perma ban, but you will lead up to a full season ban for comp if you keep disconnecting. Dont risk it and play QP till you know you have a stable connection
No, it just started today. Sometimes it lags for a few seconds but its mostly been fine with the exception of one or two matches where I disconnected repeatedly. I just thought it was psn since I was always immediately allowed to rejoin. I never actually left a match.
09/14/2016 04:28 PMPosted by Wraith
09/14/2016 04:33 PMPosted by JimmyCarter
09/14/2016 04:28 PMPosted by Wraith
my internet is reliable, please add something constructive to the thread. I will report trolls or spam.
09/14/2016 04:36 PMPosted by ChapterFive
<span class="truncated">...</span>
my internet is reliable, please add something constructive to the thread. I will report trolls or spam.

That was more of an obvious advice than trolling. You want something constructive about your issue? Do you want blizzard to change the system for d/c players. If they didn't do it last season then they probably won't do it this season. Best of luck and if the internet acting up then wait til your lag free by doing quick play.
09/14/2016 04:33 PMPosted by JimmyCarter
It clearly isn't if you're having connection issues. On a very serious note, what are you doing to test other internet services (preferably streaming) to make sure it isn't just Overwatch? And again, have you checked your router? If many things aren't working contact your ISP.
...my internet is reliable, please add something constructive to the thread. I will report trolls or spam.

That was more of an obvious advice than trolling. You want something constructive about your issue? Do you want blizzard to change the system for d/c players. If they didn't do it last season then they probably won't do it this season. Best of luck and if the internet acting up then wait til your lag free by doing quick play.
I just need to know how touchy this ban system is, I cannot predict when I will have a lag spike, as I cannot see the future. I have no idea what is causing it but if it starts working fine for the rest of the day and my connection gets dropped randomly by comcast or whatever the problem is, say sometime tomorrow, will I be banned for the season? In a way, the ban forced me to leave that match permanently, instead of being able to jump back in. Third match to do that to me in ten hours of gameplay.
You're not playing Overwatch via wardriving, are you?
Hi ChapterFive,

We're really sorry you had a bad experience due to a disconnect. Personally, I hate when that happens myself so I can relate.

Unfortunately, we're in a really tricky spot with Competitive Play in regards to players leaving matches. If you read through these forums, we get a lot of complaints that players leaving matches is a huge point of frustration for our players.

There is no reliable way that we can discern if you disconnected because of a connection issue, or you forced a disconnect. Because of that, we need to treat anyone who leaves a match in the same way.

We're way more lenient in quick play. And it feels like we're generally in a good spot in Quick Play. However, in Competitive Play, if anything, we hear from our player base that we should be increasing the leaver penalties and making them more harsh.

For Season 2, we added a 10 minute delay to your first "leave" to make you aware that leaving is bad and there are in fact penalties for leaving. We also wanted to put in increasing penalties to help dissuade people who were having connection issues from repeatedly trying to reconnect to Competitive Play games. We know that sometimes the connection issues are not your fault. And that really is a shame. But also, when those moments are happening, it's not a good time to jump into a team game and subject your teammates to the mercy of an unstable internet connection.

My advice for people who are having connection issues is to play modes like the Brawl or Play vs. AI until their connection stabilizes. Again, I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but hopefully you can understand the situation from the other side. It's very likely that someone who was on your team in that match posted in one of the many angry "leaver" threads on these forums.

Hopefully this sheds some light on our thought process.

Again, apologies you had a bad experience.

-jeffrey
09/14/2016 04:48 PMPosted by ChapterFive

I just need to know how touchy this ban system is, I cannot predict when I will have a lag spike, as I cannot see the future. I have no idea what is causing it but if it starts working fine for the rest of the day and my connection gets dropped randomly by comcast or whatever the problem is, say sometime tomorrow, will I be banned for the season? In a way, the ban forced me to leave that match permanently, instead of being able to jump back in. Third match to do that to me in ten hours of gameplay.

If the majority of your matches are played without "leaves", you'll be fine.
...I just need to know how touchy this ban system is, I cannot predict when I will have a lag spike, as I cannot see the future. I have no idea what is causing it but if it starts working fine for the rest of the day and my connection gets dropped randomly by comcast or whatever the problem is, say sometime tomorrow, will I be banned for the season? In a way, the ban forced me to leave that match permanently, instead of being able to jump back in. Third match to do that to me in ten hours of gameplay.

Widowmaker threads need answering
Highly Rated
09/14/2016 04:55 PMPosted by Aubrina

Widowmaker threads need answering
Then why are you posting on a Competitive thread?
09/14/2016 04:52 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Hi ChapterFive,

We're really sorry you had a bad experience due to a disconnect. Personally, I hate when that happens myself so I can relate.

Unfortunately, we're in a really tricky spot with Competitive Play in regards to players leaving matches. If you read through these forums, we get a lot of complaints that players leaving matches is a huge point of frustration for our players.

There is no reliable way that we can discern if you disconnected because of a connection issue, or you forced a disconnect. Because of that, we need to treat anyone who leaves a match in the same way.

We're way more lenient in quick play. And it feels like we're generally in a good spot in Quick Play. However, in Competitive Play, if anything, we hear from our player base that we should be increasing the leaver penalties and making them more harsh.

For Season 2, we added a 10 minute delay to your first "leave" to make you aware that leaving is bad and there are in fact penalties for leaving. We also wanted to put in increasing penalties to help dissuade people who were having connection issues from repeatedly trying to reconnect to Competitive Play games. We know that sometimes the connection issues are not your fault. And that really is a shame. But also, when those moments are happening, it's not a good time to jump into a team game and subject your teammates to the mercy of an unstable internet connection.

My advice for people who are having connection issues is to play modes like the Brawl or Play vs. AI until their connection stabilizes. Again, I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but hopefully you can understand the situation from the other side. It's very likely that someone who was on your team in that match posted in one of the many angry "leaver" threads on these forums.

-jeffrey
Thanks a lot for the reply, Jeff. I'm really sorry that you have to deal with these people.
Granted, I haven't done CP yet, but I'll make sure to do so in the future!
...Widowmaker threads need answering
Then why are you posting on a Competitive thread?
I'll admit, I laughed. Also I'd rather see blue posts in those F, Marry, Kill threads instead of the constant "buff my favorite character" ones.
Highly Rated
W

09/14/2016 04:52 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Hi ChapterFive,

-jeffrey
wow, thanks for the response. That was very generous of you to answer my question, I was just worried that I might be at risk of being banned for the season is all. I love overwatch very much and made it to rank 64 last season, it would break my heart if I could no longer play. My internet is acting strange today, so I guess I will play something different until it returns to normal.