What does Prefer This Player do?

General Discussion
Hello,

Can someone from Blizzard shine some light onto how "Prefer This Player" works? It seems as if this feature doesn't work if at all.
would like to know as well, does this mean that if they are in que and we are that we are more likely to group with them? only logical thing i can think of
Friendly bump; because I'd like to know how this feature works.
Bump again.
This is new... and I want to know about it!
I'm not entirely sure but I have enabled "Prefer this player" for quite a lot of those I met in matches and I have ran into them a few times when matchmaking, but it almost never happens
09/06/2016 10:25 AMPosted by Yamr3
Hello,

Can someone from Blizzard shine some light onto how "Prefer This Player" works? It seems as if this feature doesn't work if at all.

Prefer this player will attempt to put you in a match with that player if there is a spot available in their match when you're in the matchmaking queue. It doesn't happen frequently because we matchmake on skill, ping, group size and other factors and don't weigh the "prefer feature" very high. It's there as more of a "hey, if it happens to line up right, I'd prefer to play with this person again."

The feature works at such a low percentage that we are considering removing it. Increasing the frequency can result in really bad/undesirable behaviors (poor matchmaking, harassment etc.) so we don't turn the dial to make it happen more often.
I'm very sad to hear that it might go away.

I've been using it quite a lot and it gave me the impression that I had a word to say with my matchmaking because I did bump into some of the Preferred players a few times.

For me, Prefer was a way of telling you game devs "Hey, btw this person plays well, is a nice person and uses his microphone. I want more people like this!"

Are you guys working on a way to reward people for using their mics, or a way to rate a person perhaps?
11/02/2016 06:27 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Hello,

Prefer this player will attempt to put you in a match with that player if there is a spot available in their match when you're in the matchmaking queue. It doesn't happen frequently because we matchmake on skill, ping, group size and other factors and don't weigh the "prefer feature" very high. It's there as more of a "hey, if it happens to line up right, I'd prefer to play with this person again."

The feature works at such a low percentage that we are considering removing it. Increasing the frequency can result in really bad/undesirable behaviors (poor matchmaking, harassment etc.) so we don't turn the dial to make it happen more often.

Can you talk about Sombra please.
11/02/2016 06:35 PMPosted by BorosCharmed

Do you understand what "relevance" is?
Maybe he should talk about that instead
Hello,

What percentage, aboot? I think if it's over 5%, keep it. You know, because P-values. If I were a physicist, I might say if it were over 0.001%, keep it, but I work in a very soft science.
Hello,

Can you at least address the Halloween event ending early.
11/02/2016 06:53 PMPosted by AlgaeEater

There are probably 5 or 6 active threads on this subject. If Mr Kaplan was going to address that topic I doubt it would be in a thread of someone reasonably and calmly asking a completely unrelated question.
11/02/2016 07:02 PMPosted by IlCosmoll
11/02/2016 06:53 PMPosted by AlgaeEater

There are probably 5 or 6 active threads on this subject. If Mr Kaplan was going to address that topic I doubt it would be in a thread of someone reasonably and calmly asking a completely unrelated question.

It's related though
11/02/2016 06:47 PMPosted by RegiRampage

Do you understand what "relevance" is?
Maybe he should talk about that instead

I was kidding. Wait til Blizzcon
Hello,

I really hope you decide to keep it. Some of the most memorable moments in this game have been being matched up with/against people and making friends/rivals. Facing off against groups who used to crush you (and winning against them) feels so much better than watching numbers count up. (Talking about SR not Sombra)
11/02/2016 07:04 PMPosted by Snoopy
11/02/2016 07:02 PMPosted by IlCosmoll

It's related though
No. Not really.

nope his lips are sealed, remember blizzcon is a few days away so he wont comment about anything not technical