Why can't tracer blink upward?

General Discussion
She used to be able to blink up in beta. It was broken.
Balance
09/18/2016 10:41 PMPosted by Sheauwn
I think Tracer is [lore alert] only able to control her time, as in she can only move forward to where she could move normally.

For example: she can't blink through walls because a wall is in the way. In the same fashion, she cannot blink upwards because she cannot jump that high.

That's sufficient reasoning but, correct me if I'm wrong, Tracer can't blink downwards, so it'd be an inconsistent reasoning.
Arguable.
Tracer ult can only be countered by Sound Barrier and a Zarya bubble, and a select few abilities that only protect the hero that uses them. Genji ult can be countered by just killing Genji, every support ultimate, those same normal abilities and more.

Tracer is one of the few characters whose core mechanic seems to work as intended without anything particularly broken, annoying or overpowered. However, her ultimate is very weak. It can be countered by Sound Barrier, Zarya's shield, Mei's ice block, Reaper's wraith form and (I think) Tracer's recall. It can be prevented (probably on accident) by Genji's deflect, D.Va's Defense Matrix, Rein's shield and Winston's bubble shield. It's hard to aim, easy to accidentally dodge, cannot kill most of the tanks if they have full HP and has a very small blast radius. Finally, it can kill Tracer herself.

If there is anything to improve about Tracer, it's her ultimate.
09/18/2016 05:51 PMPosted by Munbalanced
I mean balance aside, we see her blink upward in the short as well as in one of her highlight intros, so with all the tactical advantages of being on the high-ground are considered, why wouldn't tracer blink upward when she clearly has the ability to?

I think it would be really neat to give her some vertical mobility, even at the cost of 2-3 blinks, what do you guys think?

Because she doesn't teleport. She just fast forwards herself. On her own, she's apparently able to jump 16 feet in the air.

Either that, or fastforwarding pulls movie logic and increases her momentum.
As fun as it would be, it just would make her alot harder to hit and although she will still be ridiculously squishy, I imagine it would aid in her survival abit too much. Thus people would really be crying for nerfs whereas atm she is one of the most balanced chars. Only got to look at Genji and see how !@#$ing annoying that char is because he could run away up walls.
jump then blinking up once I would be fine with that
09/18/2016 10:30 PMPosted by Leper
<span class="truncated">...</span>
Arguable.
Tracer ult can only be countered by Sound Barrier and a Zarya bubble, and a select few abilities that only protect the hero that uses them. Genji ult can be countered by just killing Genji, every support ultimate, those same normal abilities and more.

If you mean in just killing potential, then yes, Dragonblade is better, but consider this.
For every 1 Dragonblade you get, I'll have had 2-3 Pulse Bombs. And during that time, I'd have earned those Pulse Bombs by outright dealing more damage than a Genji would have done anyway.

<span class="truncated">...</span>
It would jump to 100%.
One of the highest DPS values in the game.
Some of the best sustain and objective control in game.

The only thing she lacks is verticality. Right now, she needs to waste her CDs to get high, or is just completely shutoff from high ground. And in that same note, her needing to go on the footpath to get to high ground always puts her in an enclosed space, her weakness, and with fewer CDs than she'd prefer, since she either spent them getting there, or was so slow that it was impractical to pick Tracer anyway.

If you give her verticality, she'll jump to 100%.

Uh what, you have no idea what you are even saying, I guess your rank of average is showing. Genji has better burst, range, ultimate, mobility then Tracer. The only thing tracer has over him is getting health back on recall, but that is easily surpassed with an extra 50 health and reflect that kills people with a reflect of a Reinhart sheild. Un fog your glasses dude.
What even is math and statistics? Why do a quick google search for real DPS values, ult charge rates, and hero statistics, when I can just roll my face across my keyboard while tongue jacking the keys, and then post what gets typed just like this guy does!
Woah man I didn't mean to start a war!

Yeah I agree that it would tilt her off balance, and apparently she could do it in beta? that's cool I need to find some footage!

I just found it interesting that tracer plays under her "true potential" and is still a strong contender. while other heros match their lore or even go beyond just to compete :P

When you think about it, pretty much every hero is using some kind of handicapped, expect for the new guys, who go all out.

Ana: Could get her eye fixed but chooses not to
Tracer: Refuses to blink upward
Rein: Old as heck, visibly distressed (especially after charging into a wall)
Winston: Beat reaper in the recall short... so he is clearly hiding something since in game reaper wipes his face on the ground xD

Original OW team must have been crazy OP since they're all going easy on the new guys :P
Oh god, a flying Tracer
If anything, they need to remove a blink charge from Tracer (from 3 to 2).
We experimented with this concept when first creating the blink ability. Not only was the balance off, but it changed the hero in so many core ways.
09/19/2016 08:27 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We experimented with this concept when first creating the blink ability. Not only was the balance off, but it changed the hero in so many core ways.

Bummer. It would've been really cool though. Oh well.

with all the projectile heroes being able to headshot her so easily, isn't the balance off already?

not to mention heroes like reaper being able to kill without even properly aiming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPeqyf7_bSk&feature=youtu.be
09/19/2016 08:38 AMPosted by Violence

with all the projectile heroes being able to headshot her so easily, isn't the balance off already?

not to mention heroes like reaper being able to kill without even properly aiming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPeqyf7_bSk&feature=youtu.be

Not if you need to counter her. It's hard to snipe a good tracer.
Oh damn, thanks for the insight!

Are we ever going to get anybody faster than Tracer?
We also see Winston taking an entire Death Blossom and getting right back up, just about uninjured. If every hero could do what they did in the cinematic, the game would be a lot more crazy.

That and she would be a counter to Pharah right off the bat.
76 is faster if we're talking about long-term running. It's the battle between speed and acceleration. Short rage? Tracer wins. Long range? 76. I'm not 1-upping, b0ss, promise. Just sayin' ^-^
09/19/2016 09:13 AMPosted by Corobo
76 is faster if we're talking about long-term running. It's the battle between speed and acceleration. Short rage? Tracer wins. Long range? 76. I'm not 1-upping, b0ss, promise. Just sayin' ^-^

Just like a horse vs a cheetah?