Fix roadhog hook through walls

General Discussion
If he gets you behind a wall/celing the wall should do a collision check and drop you. Losing to a wallhooking roadhog makes me log off for a few hours. Everytime. Nobody likes that s.
For the record, he does NOT hook anybody through walls. The hook only needs to touch the smallest part of you to impose the condition on you. Due to netcode issues and a rather lazy chain animation, it only LOOKS like he hooks through walls, when in actuality, he landed it on the edge of your player model on his screen, and you are then moved to where the hook would be around your waist when it collided with you.
If you get hooked and dodge behind the wall at the same time, you are behind the wall the collision should stop you.

Usually it is less cut and dry, with the extra large hitboxes that !@#$ can grab you through the wall like hanzo can shoot heads behind walls
09/06/2016 11:36 AMPosted by aeries
If you get hooked and dodge behind the wall at the same time, you are behind the wall the collision should stop you.
how? you got hooked by a chain? does the chain magically disappear and lose its ability to be yanked because you jumped and landed behind a wall(you actually got hooked before the corner on the roadhogs screen btw)?
09/06/2016 11:42 AMPosted by Playpen
09/06/2016 11:36 AMPosted by aeries
how? you got hooked by a chain? does the chain magically disappear and lose its ability to be yanked because you jumped and landed behind a wall(you actually got hooked before the corner on the roadhogs screen btw)?

Lastnight i was hooked when i was on a bridge i think map was waypoint but the roadhog was under the bridge but i still got hooked... ive been seeing that happen alot since patch im being hooked in more retarded ways
from another poster who posted these

https://youtu.be/EmQU-8bGIsE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMsNLJLjX38
https://gfycat.com/BadThornyBoar
https://gfycat.com/KindFavoriteGerbil
Yeah... I think people are beginning to abuse the hook mechanics a bit. Eichenwalde a day or two ago, I was crouching behind a wall and got hooked. On replay no part of my model was showing, the Roadhog aimed slightly above the wall for the hook and got me. Pulled me to the side I hadn't been to to get me out from it...
People really need to understand how the hook's hitboxes really work.

The vertical leeway is huge, and the horizontal is quite forgiving as well, although not as much.
This makes hooking players when they're 'just' out of your line of sight possible, since it'll catch the side of your forgiving hitbox. Even moreso with the slight lag that all games have.

You could nerf the hitboxes, but Roadhogs already miss every other hook they throw. He is countered by Zarya barriers, Reinhardt's shield, and anyone who plays together. (Got hooked? A friendly McCree stands by and easily stuns + headshots the Roadhog that has to stand still for the whole hook+kill thing.)

Nerf those hitboxes though, and he's unable to even remotely try and counter the fast moving classes that are hard enough to pin down. (Genji and Tracer are the two prime examples)

It's not often, if at all people play games like this where hero abilities can go far above and beyond just shooting bullets and explosives at targets, so people have a hard time coping and dealing with these sorts of things, especially around latency.
I've been playing a lot of Roadhog in comp and his hook is super weird sometimes.
I hooked a Zenyatta I shouldn't be able to hook through that house near the first choke on Hollywood and he was behind the car, but in the same game I hooked a Pharah in that hallway after the choke where there is a large health kit and she bumped her head on the ceiling while being hooked, stayed in place and killed me.
I hooked a Mccree Ulting and he appeared behind me yesterday, the hook is super unrealibe right now, it doesn't matter what side of it you are.
I know your feel. I once blew up hooking Roadhog as Junkrat. Got teleported through walls of Hollywood to first objective and behind it. GG Blizzard.
09/06/2016 12:06 PMPosted by MisterRyan
People really need to understand how the hook's hitboxes really work.

The vertical leeway is huge, and the horizontal is quite forgiving as well, although not as much.
This makes hooking players when they're 'just' out of your line of sight possible, since it'll catch the side of your forgiving hitbox. Even moreso with the slight lag that all games have.

You could nerf the hitboxes, but Roadhogs already miss every other hook they throw. He is countered by Zarya barriers, Reinhardt's shield, and anyone who plays together. (Got hooked? A friendly McCree stands by and easily stuns + headshots the Roadhog that has to stand still for the whole hook+kill thing.)

Nerf those hitboxes though, and he's unable to even remotely try and counter the fast moving classes that are hard enough to pin down. (Genji and Tracer are the two prime examples)

It's not often, if at all people play games like this where hero abilities can go far above and beyond just shooting bullets and explosives at targets, so people have a hard time coping and dealing with these sorts of things, especially around latency.

Yes, god forbid Roadhog players actually requiring aim for no-skill one-shot. He doesn't even need his hook to one-shot you.

Yes, let's have 3 McCrees for to guard the other half of the team when there's a Roadhog, you're a genius. Even if you stun Roadhog now, the hook still pulls you to him.

Roadhog's damage needs a huge toning down, and his hook range and hitbox need to be reduced.
09/06/2016 11:32 AMPosted by Geminus
For the record, he does NOT hook anybody through walls. The hook only needs to touch the smallest part of you to impose the condition on you.

Yes he does, Roadhog does not even need to see the character to hook. Nice try spreading lies though.
This will never be fixed will it?
10/26/2016 07:52 PMPosted by IronTwinkie
This will never be fixed will it?

After what I went through 3 times on Ilios yesterday?

Don't hold your breath tbh. Got to the point I got so sick I closed the game
Came here to let it be known that Roadhog's hook was never fixed, and will seemingly never be fixed.
The hook should be a projectile.

Make it happen, Blizzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
When is Blizzard going to address this crap once and for all? This is getting out of hand.
Hook should be fixed to be a projectile.
Once, I was crouching behind cover and Roadhog was able to hook me by throwing the hook ABOVE my head and then turning his reticle downward so it could hook me behind cover. So, I got dragged over a short wall and down to be greeted by a shotgun blast to the face.
it's not so much the hook, it's more of the tick rate