Why do most girls play Support characters?

General Discussion
1 2 3 12 Next
Why do most female overwatch players play Support characters? kind of weird to me that most females i see on the forums or in game play support :?
Downvote fest 2k16 because of a Small Note xD Rip
Highly Rated
I don't. I'm female and prefer playing offense. Because I like to wreck !@#$.
But I'll go support when it's necessary for the team.

Also -- There are plenty of amazing female players who choose characters outside the support class. Just fyi.
Highly Rated
It's a gender roles thing. OBVIOUSLY IT DOESN'T ALWAYS APPLY, but it is a TENDENCY. Girls tend to favor support roles because they're not usually as competitive, so they tend to favor less aggressive playstyles. Being the gun-slinging badass is usually seen as a "guy" thing. The DPS/Tanks watch out for their supports, and the supports keep the DPS/Tanks standing strong. It's the whole nurturer and provider thing.

Having said that, the two girls I play with main Soldier 76 and Torbjorn, and I'm an Ana/Zenyatta main so...
09/24/2016 08:42 AMPosted by BT160708
I don't. I'm female and prefer playing offense. Because I like to wreck !@#$.
But I'll go support when it's necessary for the team.

Also -- There are plenty of amazing female players who choose characters outside the support class. Just fyi.

i said most not all
A lot of assumptions in one post
i dont really thing it matters anyone have they style there can be girls who pick charaters to support like Mercy or there can be girls who pick character and just want to destroy the other team like Junkrat
why do most boys play offense characters?
09/24/2016 08:30 AMPosted by SUPER
Why do most female overwatch players play Support characters?

Because confirmation bias is a thing.
They dont.
Knowing two or three girls that play support doesnt make for a good observation pool.
I main Zarya and know some girl players that dont. Know some guy players that favor support as well. People like what they like.
Sure I know a support hero just in case no one wants to be one, but thats because I love to win! XD
09/24/2016 08:49 AMPosted by kirsch
why do most boys play offense characters?

i would argue that there is a more even spread

09/24/2016 08:49 AMPosted by ZeMadmax

can you explain what you mean by this?
09/24/2016 08:47 AMPosted by SUPER

i said most not all

when you're saying broad stuff like this without anything to support it, you really don't want to use the word "most." you could have just said "why do girls play support characters?"
Most girls ive played with are usually on support.

Back in WoW? mots girls were healers.

Heroes of the storm? Girls were healers.

gf? she likes supports.
09/24/2016 08:51 AMPosted by Izanami
09/24/2016 08:47 AMPosted by SUPER

i said most not all

when you're saying broad stuff like this without anything to support it, you really don't want to use the word "most." you could have just said "why do girls play support characters?"

That would have been a greater generalization, because without "most" it sounds like he's saying "all".
Highly Rated
Maybe the girls who play the game realize that they're grouped up with a bunch of wannabe dps babies who would rather lose than play support, and are willing to compromise their own dps dreams in order for the team to win.
just so the females know im not saying its a bad thing that youre playing support and im not saying all girls play support, im just saying from what ive seen most girls tend to pick support
09/24/2016 08:49 AMPosted by ZeMadmax

This too. You're less likely to notice all the female players that aren't support mains. The group of guys I play with are mostly support mains, as am I.