Zarya

General Discussion
1 2 3 11 Next
Why does everyone think that Zarya is overpowered? She has a high enough skill cap and deserves to be strong at high level play. Blizzard should just reward other high skill cap heroes as well. Otherwise, what's the point in putting time into learning them when you can just pick reaper or soldier? Plus, Zarya is pretty useless at low level play anyway.

I would be fine with a slightly longer cooldown (maybe 2 seconds) for one of her shields but anything more than that I think would be a bit too much.
It's not that hard to get decent with her. "Perfect"? Sure - that one will take a lot of time. But in a regular platinum-diamond tier everyone is far away from "perfect" meaning that just a decent play is well enough.

And when the player gets perfect, her kit grants very strong advantage. It's just ineffective not to play her. So we see her in pro-plays in every game. Yeah. In. Every. Game. https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2016-10-03-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-overwatch-open-deep-dives

With the tank meta she raised to the A tier and holds that niche with every other hero but Lucio out of reach. Since Lucio by himself doesn't counter any hero, it's not that bad he is also a must have (but that goes against Blizzard ideas though). But Zarya? She hard-counters D.Va, she is very strong against Rein, she can deal with Genji or at least force him to disengage - and so on.

I truly believe no hero should be a must have in all circumstances. It's fine when one hero is better than another on some chokes / some maps. But everywhere? No, something is broken if that has place. Zarya needs changes. Or other heroes need changes so they start hard-counter her. Because right now she has this point of advantage too - no hero hard-counters her, she is relatively good against all of them.

Situation like this hurts the game. It hurts diversity and hurts the attraction of the game to the viewers. Hence - less money involved, less tournaments played. That's on a high level. On a low-mid levels it also hurts. Because not everybody likes to play heroes that are "must have". Chances are - there are much, much more "F-tier" hero mains that "S/A" heroes mains. We have.. what, 10 heroes as an F tier? And one D-tier. That's half a roaster. So half of the heroes are useless and so players who enjoy playing them are frustrated, more or less. Not saying it's exactly 50%, but I would think - close to that.

Here are some "doubts" from Zarya main: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0oLAux7D5g - he understands it's something wrong that a hero needs to be present in the team and you have to have Zarya in order to have greater chances to win. The video shows the doubts - as a Zarya main, he doesn't want changes (well, he mains the hero after all and that allows him to win more), but as an honest player he sees that there is a problem, it's stupid to try hiding that.
Everyone calls zarya overpowered citing that she is on every team in every game. If she is on both teams every game then 1 of those zaryas is getting wrecked every game. So why is 1 zarya OP and the other zarya is getting owned?

Zarya is strong because she is a great team player. Never alone, always working coordinated with team and actually tries to save teammates lives. When you hear a junkrat tire or dva ult instead of just running with everyone else, zarya activily looks for a teammate to save.
10/03/2016 08:52 AMPosted by Widowmaker
Everyone calls zarya overpowered citing that she is on every team in every game. If she is on both teams every game then 1 of those zaryas is getting wrecked every game. So why is 1 zarya OP and the other zarya is getting owned?

Zarya is strong because she is a great team player. Never alone, always working coordinated with team and actually tries to save teammates lives. When you hear a junkrat tire or dva ult instead of just running with everyone else, zarya activily looks for a teammate to save.

Zarya should not be the best counter to Zarya
10/03/2016 08:39 AMPosted by BT160524
Why does everyone think that Zarya is overpowered? She has a high enough skill cap and deserves to be strong at high level play. Blizzard should just reward other high skill cap heroes as well. Otherwise, what's the point in putting time into learning them when you can just pick reaper or soldier? Plus, Zarya is pretty useless at low level play anyway.

Probably !@#$ty Genjis that don't how to take their fingers off the mouse when she puts the shield up, then wonder why they can't deflect her beam.
Zarya has always been extremely powerful and usually sees very low play time. Internally at Blizzard, we all felt like she was one of the most powerful characters in the lineup in the early Alpha and Beta. We were always shocked that she was played so infrequently. We've made very few changes to how she works over the months but we're always keeping an eye on the balance of all of our heroes.

Zarya is definitely powerful but requires a high skill player to get the most out of her. I don't think she is a problem right now but we'll keep watching how she does, especially now that she is finally gaining in popularity.
10/03/2016 08:55 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Zarya has always been extremely powerful and usually sees very low play time. Internally at Blizzard, we all felt like she was one of the most powerful characters in the lineup in the early Alpha and Beta. We were always shocked that she was played so infrequently. We've made very few changes to how she works over the months but we're always keeping an eye on the balance of all of our heroes.

Zarya is definitely powerful but requires a high skill player to get the most out of her. I don't think she is a problem right now but we'll keep watching how she does, especially now that she is finally gaining in popularity.

She's quickly becoming my favorite along with Tracer. Great, great design. She is extremely unique and fun

Cheers
10/03/2016 08:56 AMPosted by Mxy

She's quickly becoming my favorite along with Tracer. Great, great design. She is extremely unique and fun

Cheers

Why do you always end your posts with cheers?

Yeah I don't think it's Zarya that's overpowered, but I think that heroes whom she easily counters like D.Va could use a buff.

How was this surprising? The internet is a place where cooperation is a vague concept. And cooperation was Zarya's strength. If you got a team that won't listen to her saying "GET IN THERE" , then she's as useful as a deflated chocolate bladder.

Other wise, even a low skill level player like me can just steam roll people.
10/03/2016 08:58 AMPosted by TDC
Why do you always end your posts with cheers?

It's a relatively common way of signifying a combination of "Thanks" and "Bye"

Hope this helps

Jeff, are you serious? Referring to the alfa/beta builds? I was a tester for a full time and I know - she wasn't played not because she was weak. Only two reasons - players were not good enough/not familiar with the game (+ what, a 5000 player-base?) and second - other heroes often were plain broken, so meta was gravitating towards them.

But now.. It's 4+ months since the release. And she gained the "popularity" you're talking about in like ~1 month since the release. Now it's 3+ month when she's dominating all matches by her presence. True - on a bronze till gold I hardly doubt she is much of an issue - but - look, starting from platinum and till the pro-level of play you have to play her. Why were you unable to determine that a hero is a problem for 3 months that she has so high pick-rate? Isn't that against your Blizzard philosophy that no hero should be a "must have"? Because we see opposite things in this case.

Again, when one slot is 100% determined in the team and then half of the team is built against that team - it hurts diversity. Every match I watch in the pro-level I can tell who will be played (like 3-4 heroes without a doubt). Every game I want to win - I know which heroes my team should run. Isn't that boring? Isn't that unfair?

Let the statistics tell instead of me then:

- https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2016-10-03-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-overwatch-open-deep-dives ; Date: ~October, 80%+ pick-rate
- https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2016-09-22-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-world-of-tanks-edition ; Date: ~September, 70%+ pick-rate
- https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2016-09-06-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-season-2-meta-boogaloo ; Date: ~August, 65%+ pick-rate
- https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2016-08-11-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-don-t-panic ; Date: July, 70%+ pick-rate

What else do we need? It's all there - not a big deal to find. And that's really is an issue in my opinion.

Edit: dv me till the hell, but numbers aren't lying. If Blizzard doesn't see the problem - it doesn't mean the problem is not there.

Thank you! I'm glad to here that even those at Blizzard think Zarya isn't necessarily as overpowered, as many claim her to be. I've always said that if Zarya's charge is kept relatively low, she is pretty easy to counter.

She is definitely a hard hero to master, but she's one of the best tanks once the player gets used to her mechanics. I stayed away from her for a long time at the beginning due to not understanding where her strengths lie.
10/03/2016 09:04 AMPosted by EliteHunter1

Thank you! I'm glad to here that even those at Blizzard think Zarya isn't necessarily as overpowered, as many claim her to be. I've always said that if Zarya's charge is kept relatively low, she is pretty easy to counter.

That's...not quite what he said. Or rather that's not what I got out of it.

My interpretation of his statement is that they know full well that Zarya is strong, but until recently her usage stats didn't back that up and she has a high skill floor so they've been avoiding making changes to her. Now that she's getting popular and players are getting better with her, they'll keep an eye on her and see if she really is too strong or not.
Everytime i try to play her, i can't get anything done with her.
Zarya is in the same boat as Reaper; perfect. Neither one is overpowered but neither needs any change to their kit to work properly.

Funny thing is, I feel all powerful on both of them unless there's a mei. Mei rocks both of them pretty hard. As Mei Zarya barrier means so little, her charge build up doesn't matter against getting frozen. I think as Mei becomes more popular people will see Zarya can be vulnerable

Excuse me

but is their any plans to deal with the fact that zaryas weapons dps vs armor is reduced to ~28% or so instead of the standard 50%?
Nobody played her at all the first month of release. Even Blizzard confirms it.
I don't think she is OP but I hate when my team keep feeding her and doen't even bother to finish her off.

It also annoys me that she is direct counter to d.va and you can see her in literally every match.