The purpose of "/all" chat

General Discussion
I'm probably not the first one trying to discuss about this, but let's talk about it anyway...

What is the purpose of "/all" chat in OW matches?

We know games like WoW need it. We need to find people to play with, to recruit players into our guild, to sell items, etc... but does the "/all" chat have the same need and purpose in OW?

Certainly there is absolutely no need you would want to comunicate with the enemy team. You dont need to discuss strategies with them and certainly they dont want or need to know your feelings AKA toxic behaviour in general.

Sometimes it feels like the /all chat forces sportsmanship among the community, sportsmanship that it doesn't exists anymore or it's very rare. It its weird that a player /claps a good play from the enemy team or /pat the enemy team when they lose. That kind of "good behaviour" doesn't exist anymore or it's rare to find, and it still makes me wonder: is the communication between enemy teams an absolute neccesity?

Even Blizz trivialized the existance of it, by "censoring" the globally known "gg ez" into "funny" phrases, and the solution to great part of the growing toxicity in the community could probably be just erradicate all kind of communication between opposing teams, because you certainly dont need to communicate with them for "gameplay" purposes like strategy, etc.

In WoW you can't communicate with the opposing faction, except for the standard /emotes and that's it, and it hasn't been an issue ever, so should Blizz apply the same system into OW and eliminate the communication between oposing teams? Should Blizz be the first ones to aknowledge and realize that some games or game genres don't need global communication at all, like being able to chat with the enemy team, and do something about it?

Team communication is neccesary, even with the toxicity it could be in it, the flamming, blaming, etc... but we still need it, but communication with the enemy team isn't a neccesity.

Should Blizz remove /all chat in a match and block all kind of communication between opposing teams?

pd: sorry for bad english.
God forbid people just want to converse with people on the enemy team, laugh at something that happened together, or just ask questions in general.
Blocking communication is never good. Sure you can trade abuse via chat but at the same time if you want to ask "how did that happen?" about a kill that didn't make sense to you, it's nice to have a chat feature. It's also something that's in pretty much every single FPS and it would be a horrible move to get rid of it.

Also, why the / in front of everything?
It's for typing gl hf at the beginning of a match and gg at the end.
I've seen every kind of conversation between teams. From "how did you", to "nice hack", passing by "lol nice" with of course the occasional trash talk, whether about your team or the opposite, and the usual "GG" at the end of the game, oftentime replaced by the auto-message from writing "GG EZ", either as an attempt to be a butt or just for the lolz.

I don't think it needs to be removed, but you should be able to disable it. In fact, I think you can? Not sure, never looked into it.
Making friends with your opponents or chatting with someone in qp who used to be on your team and is now on the other side? Complimenting someone who's good at their character, laughing about something that happened, good sportsmanship before and after a match, sometimes skilled players are even willing to share tips with people trying to learn their character. I'd say the Allchat is a useful feature.

Also the overwhelming majority of toxic behavior, at least in my experience, has been aimed teammate to teammate, not being slung from the other side.
trash talking is a part of competition
We allow people to chat across teams in match chat because in Quick Play, the game can shuffle teams between maps. Because of this, that person who was on the enemy team will now be on your team. Our hope is that you make some social connections with people on your team or the other team and group with them in the future.

For people who don't like this direction, we also enabled the ability to leave these channels via the Channels interface.
09/27/2016 10:25 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We allow people to chat across teams in match chat because in Quick Play, the game can shuffle teams between maps. Because of this, that person who was on the enemy team will now be on your team. Our hope is that you make some social connections with people on your team or the other team and group with them in the future.

For people who don't like this direction, we also enabled the ability to leave these channels via the Channels interface.

The game does not remember your settings when you leave/re-open the game, however, which would be nice.
Ive had some of the most fun ingame joking with the other team
It is obvious not everything that happens in "all" chat is toxic stuff, that is obvious, but is it an absolute neccesity to comunicate with the enemy team? If Blizz removes it, is it something that breaks game mechanics?

If you find a good player in a match, whenever it is on your team or the enemy team, you can just add them to your friend list or invite him/her to your group and play together.

I know there is the "mute" feature and I use it often when it's needed, but what do you do when someone on your team doesn't understand or doesn't want to use the feature and just spends the whole match "trash talking" to the other team (and basically does nothing else than just talk) or someone in the other team said something, he/her got butthurt and spends the whole match raging back at that player?

Maybe Blizz should block "all" chat in competitive to avoid this? Because some players LOVE to pour their emotions and thoughts whenever they go, no matter if those emotions and feelings are mocking the opposing team or raging back if someone mocks you.

There should be a bigger control on that matter. In Quick Play it doesn't matter I guess, it's just a Quick Play, but what about Competitive? Competitive should be about "try hard" and focus on trying to win, not about pouring all your frustrations with people that don't even care.

Thanks for the reply, it is possible to disable only the "all chat"?

Jeff! Long time no see!
09/27/2016 10:33 AMPosted by EvilKing

Thanks for the reply, it is possible to disable only the "all chat"?

Yes
Mind to share how? I want to only see my team chat.
One person I met, Furymonkey, was an enemy Genji and I was Ana. We had friendly banter and ended up added on bnet and now we do comp together, lol. That's why.

Jeff, I can understand having cross team chat in the lobby, but if ppl are conversating across teams about frivolous BS while the match is in progress, they're not playing.

They can not move or shoot while typing.
09/27/2016 10:10 AMPosted by Dracologist

Well why not have it only at the beginning and ending of matches then if that's the case. :D
09/27/2016 10:57 AMPosted by DreamKiddy
09/27/2016 10:10 AMPosted by Dracologist

Well why not have it only at the beginning and ending of matches then if that's the case. :D

Cause it's not hard to take 1 second to type something especially if your dead??