The reason why Zarya is both powerful but underplayed in QP

General Discussion
I heard it was because she was hard to master or learn. I dont know though because i've never used her
10/03/2016 12:46 PMPosted by to0ty
she is the result of the SJW petition that occured about diversity...so we end up with a !@#$%^ looking tank.... remember the SJW outcry about tracer also?....yea
these SJW also do not buy video game in mass like hardware enthusiasts gamers like us do....we want our women to look like woman and men to look like men

honestly i think zarya is the most unappealing character design in the whole game. a woman who has more masculine characteristic is just unappealing.....

Russian women are actually pretty hot and how blizzard came up with zarya boggles my mind

Actually I had heard that she's one of the only models based on a real person. There's supposedly a lady in their graphics department whom her appearance is based on, sans the huge muscles.

And she's a tank, hence the muscles. Do you really want another infantile physique that's as petite as petite can get with a tween's voice, but with a large chest so they can say "of course she's 18," when it's obviously questionable (eg, tracer, d.va, and even mei), as a tank? Should females simply not be allowed to be tanks in your opinion? Plenty of women like her exist with huge roid muscles, so IMO I think she has a perfect appearance for her role.
Has absolutely nothing to do with her appearance. A lot of new players feel she is underpowered, that she isn't tough as other heroes and can't do much damage, while her ultimate is unsatisfying.

This is generally the perspective of a new player who doesn't understand or hasn't mastered her shielding system, nor understands using her ultimate in conjunction with other team mates.
10/03/2016 03:29 PMPosted by BlytheRayne
Zarya is the only tank that can consistently and effectively team kill. Anyone who says she's boring is someone who doesn't appreciate the actual skills it takes to play her well.
Zarya cancels insta-kill by Roadhogs and can protect from almost all ults.
She can melt almost anything at a decent charge and anyone that plays her well will usually team carry.

People don't play her in quick play because she's difficult to master and her ults is most effective with people who will work with you. Her timing is crucial and you can save game just by bubbling at the right time.

QP is just a Lord of the Flies scenario. It has nothing to do with stray, winning or team comp, it's just a bunch of bored people running around (usually with ninjas) trying to kill things and failing.

Those "actual skills" are not skills, they're raw experience. There is a difference. Her abilities are not hard to grasp at all (unless you're a particularly special snowflake) but utilizing them for maximum effect takes more than simply reading their description and getting the gist of what all her barriers do.

Mind - this goes for EVERY hero. Some more so than others.

Mostly however, the reason Zarya is boring is because she's a walking stat sheet. You lose an exchange of fire because you don't have charge. You win an exchange of fire because you do have charge. There's no spiffy movement options, using the barriers is literally push a button -> keep doing whatever it was you were doing. It gets to the point where playing her is to commit to a routine to make her worth playing in the first place.

She's the Bastion/Mccree/Lucio among tanks. Simple to play for anyone, and a powerful influence in the more experienced player's hands, but the reliability and practicality of her kit comes at the cost of being only a fraction as interesting as other hero's kits. I understand for some people her kit being effective and able to melt people is what makes it fun, but for others (apparently many) "fire for effect" isn't nearly as fun as zipping around everywhere and making a huge, chaotic mess.
I think another reason is because she is straight garbage in the wrong hands. I think some people try her out a couple of times, fail to master her kit immediately, and just stop playing her altogether. I rarely see a Zarya that is just okay. They are either really good or really bad, at least IMO.
There's really no mystery here. Her lack of play time in QP doesn't have anything to do with her appearance.

How often have you seen someone insta lock a tank or support in QP? How about insta locking a damage character? If your experience is anything like mine, you see auto lock damage dealers WAY more often. A lot of people who are playing QP just want to have fun and smash faces.

For those people, grabbing a tank or support is pretty much the last thing they want to do. Zarya is probably the most team dependant tank in the game. If her teammates don't use her bubbles well and don't follow up on her ult, she's going to have a bad time.

So yeah. Zarya is a Tank/Support hybrid and often QP doesn't really like either of those roles.
10/03/2016 04:03 PMPosted by Lagomorph
Has absolutely nothing to do with her appearance. A lot of new players feel she is underpowered, that she isn't tough as other heroes and can't do much damage, while her ultimate is unsatisfying.

This is generally the perspective of a new player who doesn't understand or hasn't mastered her shielding system, nor understands using her ultimate in conjunction with other team mates.

This. When I played her for the first time, I thought she was very weak, because her beam doesn't do much damage with low charge. Doesn't help that the beam has very bad feedback, as someone already mentioned. They should add some sparks and lightsaber sounds in there.
10/03/2016 05:45 PMPosted by CuddlyFlower
10/03/2016 04:03 PMPosted by Lagomorph

This. When I played her for the first time, I thought she was very weak, because her beam doesn't do much damage with low charge. Doesn't help that the beam has very bad feedback, as someone already mentioned. They should add some sparks and lightsaber sounds in there.

I think then UT method of making the target glow and spark with energy would work. Some kind of "splash" effect would be nice too, like it's hitting a surface and actually dispersing across it instead of just drilling a small hole.
I dont get how people dont have fun playing Zarya? She has a game changing ult that isnt that hard to charge up if you're not terrible and plus when start learning how to keep your charge up around a 60% and up, the sound is very satisfying for her left click and can burn down supports and tanks very very quickly when done right.
The blonde Zarya olympic skin looks pretty neat imho.

If anything, I want them to fix her crosshair. I'm using the dot one and it's not aligned properly.
Much more likely it's just because she's harder to use effectively, and she generally is only worthwhile as a secondary tank; in quick play you're lucky if anybody willingly picks a tank at all. So between people being reluctant to pick any tank, and then the lower value of Zarya without another tank, it's understandable that she has little appeal.
Well, I can't speak on behalf of people I don't know, but as for me and my friends, we don't play Zarya because of the surgical precision you need to use her kit. Not only do you need to be a God at tracking to use her LMB, you also need to be able to react instantly when using both your shields and shielding teammates otherwise she's worthless. It's much easier just to use reinhardt and only worry about landing charges and flamestrikes or as roadhog and just spamming LSHIFT than it is to learn to play Zarya.
The reason she's not as solid in QP is because people don't play as a team and that's what Zarya needs to be a strong pick.
I said the same weeks ago. If Zarya was a ripped dude she (he) would be in every game.
This is simple....

ZARYA REQUIRES TEAM PLAY TO BE OPTIMIZED AND QP DOESN'T HAVE A TON OF TEAM PLAY.

That's the whole story.

Specifically, it's maximizing the ult (requires a follow up of damage) and getting shield charge (unless you have a team that trusts the shield is coming, they won't put themselves in the spot to get shielded from damage).

These two things are vital to her play, and harder to get in QP than with a coordinated team.

The end. Nothing to see here.
Another reason (which may have been mentioned- maybe I missed it) is that Zarya is constantly in the meta. so people from competitive play whom go to QP probably want to play other characters so they probably try to avoid playing the same 6 heroes that they are forced to play in competitive.
To all those saying she is boring.....I play Zarya alot in competitive, pretty much the only hero I play right now in comp and I find her to be incredibly fun especially with well timed shields. She requires alot of situational awareness and not everyone wants that or is cut out for that. But personally that is what I find fun about her and when done right she is a game changer.

I actually find the other tanks especially Rein to be just flat out boring

Personally I think it is a combo of everything which has been posted, I will admit that at first her asthetics did keep me from playing her but only at first.
Her lmb also requires constant tracking to kill small hitbox chracters and majority of people(that includes me) can't track aim to save their lives.