Widowmaker Love Please - Jeff?

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Highly Rated
Hello Overwatch team,

I wanted to say thank you for the awesome developer videos you guys post on the YouTube Channel every so often as I really do enjoy them and it's pretty rare for a company/developer to give insights on game development as such. While I'm sure I'm going to get flamed in this post with calls of "git gud" for simply giving my opinions and constructive feedback, I wanted to share my thoughts on Widowmaker and why I stopped playing the game.

First and foremost I was deeply in love with Overwatch when it first came out. I did a 24 hour live stream, make several YouTube videos, grinded my way to almost level 100 in the first couple weeks and was having a blast. Then out of nowhere due to (complaints I'm guessing) Widowmaker received some very controversial nerfs that I feel she never deserved especially for a game such as OW. (which I'll explain in a minute)

Widowmaker was and still is my favorite character in this game which is Ironic because I told myself for months I was going to play Tracer when the game came out haha. I always felt at home playing Widow and could never really have fun with or identify with any of the other characters; not to say I couldn't play the others it's just that they weren't my style and didn't provide the level of fun as WM did.

The nerfs to Widow basically ensured that the character was locked behind only getting headhshots which I feel are a rare occurrence in this game especially on the higher mobility characters like Tracer, Lucio, Mercy, Genji etc who just become almost impossible to get headshots on. This coupled with all her other weaknesses such as never being able to stand on objectives, having no damage ult, bad defensive options etc has left her seeing barely any casual or competitive play. "Almost" every other character in the game relies on bodyshot damage for kills except her. Meanwhile similar characters like Hanzo and Mccree have become better snipers than her do to their buffs while also being able to stand on objectives and having dmg ults.

I find it rather silly that as a Sniper character her Ultimate now tells people shes can see the enemy and when shes about to snipe them. This has now caused a turtle style where people just wait 10 seconds behind a wall until WM ult runs out rendering it useless specifically for her. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't ever recall in movies or in real life a sniper shouting out to their target "Hey I can see you, I'm about to snipe"....

Currently I'm not a fan of Venom Mine either as I feel it's a pretty lack luster and not working as intended which is to be used as a defensive trap and alert Widow of incoming enemies. The mine is way too easily spotted and doesn't do nearly enough damage and overall just feels like a wasted ability in her kit.

Overall I would just love to see some kind of rework of Widowmaker and make her fun and competitive again. The scope change on the PTR didn't really do anything for me as her inherit problems all still exist. One small idea I had was to allow her to build combo points for not missing shots; in other words she gets rewarded for playing well. This is similar to Nova's Snipe Master talents in HOTS (yes I'm a HOTS fanatic) where she does more damage for landing successful shots in her Q; while that talent is bad specifically in that game I feel it could work really well here in Overwatch.

Thanks you for your time.
#MakeWidowGreatAgain
The ultimate needs to be silent again.

That ALONE would make it better than Sonic Arrow
10/05/2016 12:36 PMPosted by Trigglypuff
The ultimate needs to be silent again.

That ALONE would make it better than Sonic Arrow

More than that, but it would be a start. That change was just silly.
#MakeWidowGreatAgain
They should make it so she can shoot through walls during her ult. Shorten the duration to 6 seconds or so.
I think a good start would be reducing the cooldown of both Grappling Hook and Venom Mine. They have unnecessarily long cooldowns.
Making the Ultimate Silent would be nice, maybe seeing the Ultimates off the enemy team would be cool.
10/05/2016 05:42 PMPosted by Jeuscifer
I think a good start would be reducing the cooldown of both Grappling Hook and Venom Mine. They have unnecessarily long cooldowns.

Yeah during my time I always felt the CD on grapple was a little too long because you use it to get up to your advantage point but then when you get caught it's already too late to run and it's still on CD.
Just when I thought the majority of it was gone...
10/05/2016 06:22 PMPosted by Arcadius
Just when I thought the majority of it was gone...

What?
10/05/2016 12:07 PMPosted by LCD

The nerfs to Widow basically ensured that the character was locked behind only getting headhshots which I feel are a rare occurrence in this game especially on the higher mobility characters like Tracer, Lucio, Mercy, Genji etc who just become almost impossible to get headshots on. This coupled with all her other weaknesses such as never being able to stand on objectives, having no damage ult, bad defensive options etc has left her seeing barely any casual or competitive play. "Almost" every other character in the game relies on bodyshot damage for kills except her. Meanwhile similar characters like Hanzo and Mccree have become better snipers than her do to their buffs while also being able to stand on objectives and having dmg ults.

You mean a sniper has to actually attempt to headshot rather than spam 150 damage bodyshots to easily take down most heroes? You mean that sniper class has a skill ceiling to consistantly land headshots?
The grapple cooldown is too long for the simple reason that it is un-reliable. When I press shift with Lucio, Zen, 76, Tracer...the ability does what it is supposed to. WM's does not always do that. In fact, I'd say that un-reliable grapple causes my death, realistically, every other game.

It needs to be 6 seconds,not 8. It doesn't do damage. They've given Hanzo every advantage, while giving widow every disadvantage.

I still don't understand 75hp damage on venom mine. Why? That mine and one fully charged bodyshot should be enough to kill a flanker...period...yeah, reaper is a flanker. There ain't no splash damage on a body shot...she deserves some survive-ability....and body shots still mean you have to hit a fully charged one...it isn't luck. Meanwhile, in overwatch land, junkrat's trap does 80 damage and holds you still as he either throws a bomb in your face or detonates the one that is already there for an elim. How is this balanced? As soon as widow kills a couple of people (for the knowledge of you non-widow players) the wrath of god comes down on her by the entire opposing team....doubt that happens to junkrat. Jebus, give her something.
I don't even play widow maker and I'd be OK with this. I've only ever played one or two matches against a widow maker that was good enough to make anyone on my team feel threatened. Consistently landing head shots, which made us have to think outside the box for once; it was a breath of fresh air. Now imagine if widow maker started popping up a lot more often and could do damage more consistently. That would add some more variety to matches as open spaces wouldn't be safe anymore (yes Hanzo is a thing, but his damage is so insanely inconsistent as well the only kills I ever see him getting is through spams and ults)
For me her changes is useless. I think they should drop her hook cooldown to like 3 sec so she could escape more reliably and/or make her able to keep hooked for some places so she could reach and stay in places others cant (like from Alive trailer where she was hanging from the roof)
Amen and bump
she needs more than just 0.3 seconds scope in. Come on blizzard it took you four months to implement 0.3 seconds worht of change? why couldn't u have done this in a hotfix like you've done with mcree everysingle patches and inbewteen patches.
I actually had a similar idea before she was even nerfed. It was to drop base damage and increase it for successive shots and/or headshots. That way normal damage was lower but the highest stack was higher. I called it "Overcharge". But honestly, simpler might just be the better way to go. I don't really know anymore.

What I'd like to see most is a lower hook cooldown. The scope change is great though and it's exactly what I was looking for for a long time. I'd also like a revert to the ult change. I think they jumped the gun on that one. It made no sense. The whole point is so that you catch your enemy off guard and provide info to your team. That doesn't work when they know about it. It also makes no sense for a sniper/assassin to yell that out. The whisper made much more sense. There's really nothing "ultimate" about it when you think about how often Hanzo can do the same thing.
If they make Widow's ult silent, they should make Junkrat's silent as well. I mean both enable kills out of nowhere, it makes sense that there should be no way to know about them.

Watch this get downvoted because widowpickers have no idea what balance is.
10/06/2016 03:01 AMPosted by Garubi
she needs more than just 0.3 seconds scope in. Come on blizzard it took you four months to implement 0.3 seconds worht of change? why couldn't u have done this in a hotfix like you've done with mcree everysingle patches and inbewteen patches.

Same for me, that scope change didn't do anything for her honestly.