Purchasable Halloween Event Items?

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next
10/11/2016 01:49 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
The Halloween items are only unlockable or purchasable during the "Overwatch Halloween Terror" event, which ends Nov. 1.

If this event goes well and people respond to it positively, we'll consider applying this model to future events we run.

We're still learning...

I know it's been said already, but this model is something I love. Even with items being 3x the normal rate, that helps make their limited time status all the more reasonable. Pricing and gold for duplicates could be tweak for better values, but this is a perfect start! Please continue with this model of allowing us to use ingame currency. I can only hope it gets better as time goes by.
Well, i bought 2 50 loots and i got almost everything and with the coin left over from the dups, i was able to buy the rest. The only think i cant seem to get is the bewitching player icon..arg.
To me they nailed it with the balance, we gave feedback about the implementation of a safe net and they listened. Now if you play the event you can for sure at least buy the one skin you really like.
Also since the price is 3x the cosmetics can stay as "limited/luxury" which will generate revenue for them in the long run in a different way. This event feels "fair" to us and to them. They also reverted an "undesirable" consumer behavior caused by the past event, in which was totally not smart to buy lootboxes when we are not in an event.
I'm really happy with their response to our feedback.
I can't really think of a better model then this one. Makes the event items rare by having them so expensive, but also allows the players to use in game currency to purchase some if they have coins saved up.

I have been wanting to use my 6k coins for a long time now and I will finally have something to use them with if I don't get what I want in the boxes i earn/purchase.
Just curious,will the SAME items appear in next year's Hallowee Event?
The Halloween items are only unlockable or purchasable during the "Overwatch Halloween Terror" event, which ends Nov. 1.

If this event goes well and people respond to it positively, we'll consider applying this model to future events we run.

We're still learning...

Thank you very much for trying new model! Hope people will respond to it good enough with their wallets and hearts :)
10/13/2016 12:31 AMPosted by HuntFoot
Just curious,will the SAME items appear in next year's Hallowee Event?

Absolutely no, there will be new items along with old one :D
I love the events but to me personally it's a bit stressful with the skins. I love the new skins but I don't have as much time in my day to collect enough coins to buy them as well as I don't have enough spare money to just buy loot boxes.
I'd love to see the skins still be available after the event, with possibly higher prices. So people can still save up over longer time to get them, but they still would be rare.
10/11/2016 01:55 PMPosted by Sotanaht
Log on, buy Mercy Skin, event over.

Yeah, "perfect".

Ignore people like this- they're never satisfied.

We're still learning...

One small request: I can see people trying to get the most amount of (free) loot boxes right up to the end of the event. Like not purchase boxes through the event in hopes of getting as much free as possible. It would be nice to have the skins and boxes purchasable for about one week after the event. That way if a player was still grinding boxes right up to the end, you'd have time to grab some of the event loot with coins or purchased boxes.

I think the purchase price with in-game coins is a little high. 150% instead of 300% would have been a lot more fair, imo. I know some folks have tons of coins saved up but a lot of us don't. This event will likely wipe me out if I purchase even a couple of skins.

Thanks for the reply, thanks for learning, and thanks for trying different stuff for the event.

We're still learning...
Give us a small window to buy the Summer Games stuff then. This is too little, too late if you don't.
Why are people complaining about this model? It's perfect. People complained about not being able to purchase the skins and now people complain they're too expensive also there's people complaining they shouldn't be purchasable? What the hell is with people being exclusivity douchebags and people being overprivelaged children? Keep it up Blizz

We're still learning...

It's going well! I'm responding positively! For the love of Mei don't regress to the Summer Games model of not being able to purchase them with credits! I have been luckless all my life, but I'm a hard worker, and I'm okay with getting 0 good drops out of boxes if it means I can get enough coins to do it some other way.

We're still learning...

I think you guys should keep this model going forward. With that said, I do hope that we will have a dedicated PVE mode, as Junkenstein's Revenge is way too much fun to be regulated to a specific, yearly event.

We're still learning...

I just wanted to say that I like the new event design. The prices are a bit high, but I like the possibility to buy them.
And love the new brawl! Thanks a lot!

We're still learning...

I want to let you know, in case you wanted to hear some feedback, that I am much happier with this event than the Summer Games event.

The Summer Games event was so bad (for me) that I stopped playing after it finished. Putting cosmetics (which even if they aren't integral to the gameplay, they are still a large part of the game,) on a limited time frame, and with the inability to purchase the items for credits, and allowing duplicates to be able to drop was terrible. Add to that the terrible logic of keeping it that way to make things "rare" while simultaneously letting people buy extra raffle tickets with real money, plus no assurance that we would ever have another chance at getting those items, and you have a recipe for disaster. Not to mention that the response to criticism came off as kind of demeaning and derogatory.

This event is much better, in my eyes. Sure, I still personally don't like time-locked items, but if it is still accessable every year it isn't as bad. Making the items 3 times as expensive is a bit steep for some, but they are realistically purchasable. 3k credits takes time to get, but it is doable in 3 weeks. It strikes the balance between being able to buy them and making them expensive enough to try to get people to buy lootboxes (which I will always think is silly for a $40-$60 game, but I seem to be in a minority for that,) that you want so much.

Ultimately, I'm glad you seemed to listen. It is a good sign that the next time you tried an event, you paid attention to the criticism. There could still always be improvement, but it is a good start. I know that after the Summer Games criticism (with the Blizzard Did Promise we Could Use Credits megathread that reminded me so much of Overkill Needs to Reassess Some Recent Actions), I was left upset with Overwatch. The entire official response boiled down to "It's free, so you should really be thanking us," and "we'll discuss it later," which never happened. If at some point shortly after or during the Summer Games you had discussed or addressed the issues with the community, I think it would have been a bit better. I know I personally wouldn't have stopped playing for 7 weeks if you had come out and said "We understand that not everyone was happy with the event, and here are some of our ideas for what we could do for the next one." Listening to the community is a very, very good thing. But the community also needs to know you're listening.

So far, the Halloween event has been a pleasant surprise for me. I'm glad you took what you learned from the last event and have taken steps to address some of the issues. I love playing Overwatch, it is a very fun game. But I don't play games that try to abuse or milk their player base, which is what the Summer Games event felt like. Changing the Halloween Event makes me believe you and your team might have the players interests at heart, and as long as I believe that I'm willing to let accidents, mistakes, and learning experiences go.
I like that you can use credits this time around, but I hate the loot box purchasing system. I just can't bring myself to spend $20-40 to possibly not even get the one skin I want. I'd rather pay $25+ for all the skins or like $5 for one.

My other longstanding complaint is the chat system. Why aren't groups automatically added to Team Chat?? It would enhance the experience for solo-queuers SO much. I also think even people without a mic should automatically be put in. It's a team game why wouldn't you promote teamwork as much as possible?

I have to say though Blizz is killing it lately! If I'm not playing WoW I'm playing OW!
meanwhile still cant buy icons oh and duplicates yay............ especially annoying for leg skins.
YES PLEASE keep this model, it's excellent.

We're still learning...

Thanks for tripling the credit cost so that low income players are still at the Mercy(pi) of RNG and Limited Availability.

Let's be honest. You wouldn't apply anything that wasn't implemented for the sole purpose of pocket mining.

Stop letting marketing design your games, that's why they aren't fun anymore.