Symmetra Whitewashing?

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
It seems like everybody is enjoying the new halloween update but I've noticed some people are having issues with Symmetra's new Vampire skin. People are saying that blizzard whitewashed Symmetra and that it either should be removed or make the skin tone darker or similar to her normal skin color. Now this reminds me an awful lot of the controversy of another of her legendary skins, Devi. I won't go into too much detail into that but I kinda want to know what everyone's opinion on this really. Do you think that this is an issue or do you think that people are overreacting?
Highly Rated
Oh my Christ who let the Tumblrinas out of their containment boards?
Highly Rated
Vampires are pale.

As a colored person, I'd be pale as a Vampire.

They made Symmetra pale because they made her a Vampire.

I don't see the issue.
Highly Rated
I repeat "looks like we ran out of things to complain about"
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UndeathlyPallor
Highly Rated
Well Reinhard is teal and pharah is purple, so I think the consensus is that undead are not colored like normal. Plus vampires are generally portrayed as very pale. Seems fine by me.
Highly Rated
Why are we not talking about Roadhogs event skin? They clearly hulkwashed him.
10/12/2016 01:40 PMPosted by Conspire
Vampires are pale.

I don't see the issue.

/thread
Yeah cause that Vampire skin

http://i.imgur.com/yZAg8oB.jpg

has such lively peach skin and blonde hair.
shut the !@#$ up, holy %^-*ing !@#$, its a %^-*ing vampire, btw EVERY !@#$ING SKIN turns gray and loses pigmentation when you %^-*ing die.
and peoplre are !@#$ign white,pink,yellow,tanned,blazed,black, dark brown,light brown, skin have so many tones but I guess %^-*ers like you can only see black and white.
10/12/2016 01:37 PMPosted by Punsexual
I won't go into too much detail into that but I kinda want to know what everyone's opinion on this really. Do you think that this is an issue or do you think that people are overreacting?

For the love of god, people, stop feeding the trolls that make those 'controversy' posts by thinking they actually have any merit.
Vampires are pale.

I don't see the issue.

There can be dark skinned vampires. Blade?

Symmetra doesn't even look pale though. Her skin is totally white. I think the rationale is more like she already has skins that give her unnatural skin colours, so they ran with that. Which is fine, I guess.
As a colored person

????

Your point is right and Symmetra's skin is fine. But I have a hard time believing any person who isn't ignorant of the incredibly derogatory history behind that term would actually use it to describe themself. It's insulting as hell.
People are saying that blizzard whitewashed Symmetra

no one has said this

no one.
10/12/2016 01:47 PMPosted by Kwannon
Vampires are pale.

I don't see the issue.

Symmetra doesn't even look pale though. Her skin is totally white. I think the rationale is more like she already has skins that give her unnatural skin colours, so they ran with that. Which is fine, I guess.

Blade doesn't follow typical vampire tropes.
It seems like everybody is enjoying the new halloween update but I've noticed some people are having issues with Symmetra's new Vampire skin. People are saying that blizzard whitewashed Symmetra and that it either should be removed or make the skin tone darker or similar to her normal skin color. Now this reminds me an awful lot of the controversy of another of her legendary skins, Devi. I won't go into too much detail into that but I kinda want to know what everyone's opinion on this really. Do you think that this is an issue or do you think that people are overreacting?

You've never seen Blackula, have you? That was the last time people EVER thought black (colored/ethnic/nonwhite) people should keep their color while being a vampire.
Vampires are pale.

I don't see the issue.
Thank you for this.

And guys, they meant PoC: person of color. A newer term, but it checks out. :)
Are you sure people are actually upset about this? I have only seen one thread about this before but I am 1000% sure it was a troll. This is a non-issue.
Nobody is normally that shade of grey. It's Blizzard's way of denoting undeath. If you look closely at Reaper's regular outfit, you can see that his skin is grey as well.

Likely because of the death of pigmentation or some such. I don't know. Either that or they want her to have that black and white with hand colored look from creepy old photos.

Symmetra doesn't even look pale though. Her skin is totally white.

I don't see that at all. Her skin is definitely grey not white. Thriller 76 has white skin that's actually white.
10/12/2016 01:51 PMPosted by Kitsune

Blade doesn't follow typical vampire tropes.
Also, Blade isn't even a vampire, he's a dhampir.

Vampires are pale because they have a severe allergy to the sun and thus they don't ever get a tan.