1 2 3 5 Next
Hi!
I wanted to get a cheap gaming pc and got these parts:

EVGA 500W Bronze Power Supply
ASUS A68HM-PLUS, Socket-FM2+
HyperX Fury DDR3 1600MHz 8GB
AMD Athlon X4 845 Excavator Prosessor
XFX Radeon RX 460

I get like 70 fps most of the time on low graphics. But it drops like hell all random like from nowhere it drops to 20 fps an even lower. Makes the game unplayable.
I read that the processor is not that good even if its good for the price.

So my question is, if I put in a GTX 1060 would it get me better performance? I just want the game to run smooth, maybe update to an intel processor later.

What do you guys think? would it work or should i just send everything back and start over?
I've seen people reporting FPS drops, so it's likely not an AMD vs. Nvidia thing.

Though I would say, though it should be fine, as a general rule I wouldn't go below 650w on current systems. ;)
10/31/2016 09:23 AMPosted by rabb1t
I've seen people reporting FPS drops, so it's likely not an AMD vs. Nvidia thing.

Though I would say, though it should be fine, as a general rule I wouldn't go below 650w on current systems. ;)

Ok, well I had that power supply laying around so it was nothing i invested in. also have an 1000W stuck in a old dell computer and it wont open the side so i can take it out :(. Ny laptop with i5 6300HQ and Gtx 960M runs this game better. But i like to have an cheap desktop i can play around with.
That computer does not need a 650W power supply. More watts doesnt just = better. Having a rated power supply at a lower wattage is better then a unrated high watt power supply. Power supplies are all about quality over quantity and knowing how much power your system needs is a strong place to start when looking for power wattage on a power supply. On top of that newer hardware are now more power efficient we are starting to need less and less and a 460 GPU's are designed for low power most not even needing anymore then the 75W from the pci-e slot it self... Iam off topic so anyways...

First thing first, is your RAM set up properly? If XMP profile is not turned on in your (motherboards) Bios you will want to manually set the memory proper clock speed (1600Mhz) or turn on xmp. Next check the gpu power settings under the amd catalyst control center and set it to max performance if not already. Also try changing your computers power settings (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options) and test out high performance option (restart after applying this change). Also try doing a clean boot of windows to make sure its not a background program causing this issue: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135#method1
One last thing to try and make sure BNET app is closed when playing. You can set the app to close when game launches under the general setting found in the top left corner (click the bnet icon) of the launcher.
since the game is having fps drops issues currently i would advise you wait until it has been fixed.

and yes 500w is more than enough the "mvp" doesn't know what it is talking about
10/31/2016 11:36 AMPosted by Gelectrode
That computer does not need a 650W power supply. More watts doesnt just = better. Having a rated power supply at a lower wattage is better then a unrated high watt power supply. Power supplies are all about quality over quantity and knowing how much power your system needs is a strong place to start when looking for power wattage on a power supply. On top of that newer hardware are now more power efficient we are starting to need less and less and a 460 GPU's are designed for low power most not even needing anymore then the 75W from the pci-e slot it self... Iam off topic so anyways...

First thing first, is your RAM set up properly? If XMP profile is not turned on in your (motherboards) Bios you will want to manually set the memory proper clock speed (1600Mhz) or turn on xmp. Next check the gpu power settings under the amd catalyst control center and set it to max performance if not already. Also try changing your computers power settings (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options) and test out high performance option (restart after applying this change). Also try doing a clean boot of windows to make sure its not a background program causing this issue: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135#method1
One last thing to try and make sure BNET app is closed when playing. You can set the app to close when game launches under the general setting found in the top left corner (click the bnet icon) of the launcher.

I don't find any XMP profile in bios, only auto or choose what setting you want the ram on. its on the right performance. And now i put in the gtx 1060 and now its better. gets 50-60fps on ultra so i think its the cpu that sucks. Do you think the AMD A10-7870K Black Edition would be better? its the best i can get for my board what i can find in stores.
Howdy!

We have been looking into FPS drops for Overwatch and will need the communitie's help in collecting more data. Please take a moment to help us track down more information on this issue so we can look into it deeper! :D

Babbrabush You have been commenting on this issue for a bit of time now. We would really like your information, everyone else as well!

The technology we will be using is called Event Tracing for Windows (ETW)

Step 1: Simply download this zip file and unzip to a folder. This Blog will provide more information about these tools are and what they do.

Setp 2) In the etwpackage/bin folder that came from the zip file, we need you to run “UIforETW.exe”. The first time you run the application, Windows might configure some additional performance tools. Feel free to close it and open it one more time. It’s important to make sure and check the “GPU tracing” option, as that isn’t on by default.

Step 3: Click on “Start Tracking”. The “Save Trace Buffers” button should become enabled if everything is working properly. At this point, you can start Overwatch.

Step 4: When you see the low FPS / stuttering issue has started, you can save a capture (Ctrl+Win+C). The trace files (*.etl) will show up in the lower left of the “UI for ETW” application.

Step 5: Now we simply just need you to upload the files. We recommend Dropbox but any online box that we can download the data from is fine. Feel free to add the link to your reply on the forums.
^ good tip is to zip/rar the files before upload, since they can be compressed significantly.

here is mine (i took two dumps on two different places when i noticed the drops)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByiyydN00tn-dWU0aUJnOEpmdmM/view?usp=sharing
10/31/2016 01:41 PMPosted by SneezyDwarf
10/31/2016 11:36 AMPosted by Gelectrode

I don't find any XMP profile in bios, only auto or choose what setting you want the ram on. its on the right performance. And now i put in the gtx 1060 and now its better. gets 50-60fps on ultra so i think its the cpu that sucks. Do you think the AMD A10-7870K Black Edition would be better? its the best i can get for my board what i can find in stores.

AMD A10-7890K is the best you can get and is it worth upgrading to from what you have? It might not be a very good value upgrade ( but yes it would help but its hard to say how much which is why iam not sure if I can recommend doing the upgrade). NOW with that being said if money isnt an issue OR you can sell your old CPU at a decent price to help pay for it then it might be a very good value upgrade (also maybe you find one at micro center or something for example).

For now i suggest you make sure render scale is set to 100% not auto, set fog details to low, dynamic reflections to off, refraction quality to low, Antialias to Medium, Local reflections off, ambient occlusion off and the game should still look amazing but run WAAAAY better.

PS: if you still have issue follow up with the blue post.
Zuvykree > Good to see that your devs are looking for this bug!
Hope I will enjoy Overwatch just like I did before.

I will give info when my pc will be repaired (so many programs and tests done for getting rid of this bug crashed my graphic card... =) )
10/31/2016 09:46 PMPosted by Gelectrode
10/31/2016 01:41 PMPosted by SneezyDwarf

AMD A10-7890K is the best you can get and is it worth upgrading to from what you have? It might not be a very good value upgrade ( but yes it would help but its hard to say how much which is why iam not sure if I can recommend doing the upgrade). NOW with that being said if money isnt an issue OR you can sell your old CPU at a decent price to help pay for it then it might be a very good value upgrade (also maybe you find one at micro center or something for example).

For now i suggest you make sure render scale is set to 100% not auto, set fog details to low, dynamic reflections to off, refraction quality to low, Antialias to Medium, Local reflections off, ambient occlusion off and the game should still look amazing but run WAAAAY better.

Okey yeah well i'm sending back my rx 460 and processor. Have GTX 1060 MSI gaming and going for the AMD A10-7890K Black Edition instead, found that on similar processors but not when i searched for FM2 processors lol. Anyway hope that will boost my performance. Maybe then i can even play new games.
10/31/2016 03:03 PMPosted by Zuvykree
Howdy!

We have been looking into FPS drops for Overwatch and will need the communitie's help in collecting more data. Please take a moment to help us track down more information on this issue so we can look into it deeper! :D

Babbrabush You have been commenting on this issue for a bit of time now. We would really like your information, everyone else as well!

The technology we will be using is called Event Tracing for Windows ([url="https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb968803(v=vs.85).aspx"]ETW[/url])

Step 1: Simply download this [url="https://github.com/google/UIforETW/releases/download/v1.43/etwpackage.zip"]zip file[/url] and unzip to a folder. This [url="https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2015/09/24/etw-central/"]Blog [/url] will provide more information about these tools are and what they do.

Setp 2) In the etwpackage/bin folder that came from the zip file, we need you to run “UIforETW.exe”. The first time you run the application, Windows might configure some additional performance tools. Feel free to close it and open it one more time. It’s important to make sure and check the “GPU tracing” option, as that isn’t on by default.

Step 3: Click on “Start Tracking”. The “Save Trace Buffers” button should become enabled if everything is working properly. At this point, you can start Overwatch.

Step 4: When you see the low FPS / stuttering issue has started, you can save a capture (Ctrl+Win+C). The trace files (*.etl) will show up in the lower left of the “UI for ETW” application.

Step 5: Now we simply just need you to upload the files. We recommend [url="https://www.dropbox.com/login"]Dropbox [/url]but any online box that we can download the data from is fine. Feel free to add the link to your reply on the forums.

Thanks will try this if my problem still exist with my upgrade of processor.
By the way the processor i have Athlon(tm) X4 845 Quad Core Processor, it said quad-core on the spec page but its just 2 core and 4 thread with a 2mb cache. that is pretty bad in my eyes. So its more of an 4 thread not core haha
11/01/2016 10:22 AMPosted by SneezyDwarf
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Okey yeah well i'm sending back my rx 460 and processor. Have GTX 1060 MSI gaming and going for the AMD A10-7890K Black Edition instead, found that on similar processors but not when i searched for FM2 processors lol. Anyway hope that will boost my performance. Maybe then i can even play new games.

don't get the a10 mate. its for budget builds cause it has built in gpu too.
in processing power it hardly even beats what you have

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Athlon-X4-845-vs-AMD-A10-7870K-APU/m84491vsm29728
Hello,
here is mine.

A few weeks ago, I got like very small lags (less than a second )but every 3seconds.
Then it disappears.
Right now it's back, I have a massive lag (freeze during 2-4sec) every 30sec

Windows8 , i7-4930K, 1080GTX, 32Go RAM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6k6gwr1ee1nk02/etwtraces.zip?dl=0s
Hello babbrabush!

Thanks so much for your traces. I've taken a screen grab of a small cross section of your PC while running Overwatch - here is a link to it. I'll be referencing it while talking about a couple of things you can try to improve your experience. The top stacked graph is processes using your CPU, the middle line graph shows the CPU utilization of Overwatch, and the bottom graph shows the power state of your CPU cores.

The good news is that Overwatch isn't spiking up in CPU usage. This is consistent to what we've seen internally. Something that concerns me is the power state of your cores - take a look at what happens when the cores go into a lower power state. Overwatch CPU usage drops dramatically - I would expect you to see a stall in frame rate at those points. Given your trace has 6 cores, I would guess you have an AMD processor? If you have an Intel processor by chance, you could install the Intel CPU overclocking tools to diagnose this further. For AMD, I'm not certain there is a nice user facing tool for getting detailed stats - there might be, I'm just not aware of it.

I would also suggest trying Overwatch without your media player running. In the top stacked graph, the purple area and light green area just below it are your media player and AVG, respectively (almost an entire core). Regaining that CPU time will allow Overwatch to do more work in CPU intensive parts of gameplay.

I hope that gives you some things to try! I'm happy to look at another trace if you resolve these issues and still have FPS stalls in Overwatch.

Thanks!
Bruce
^
thanks.

do you have any ideas what sort of bios settings would be responsible for the power issue?
i have every power saving option like c6 state and cool n quiet (equiv to intel speedstep) disabled.

the weird thing tho is that i havet changed any bios settings before this issue started.

regarding multitasking other software yes you are right i shouldn't, but i promise you i have tried in selective startup as well and with second monitor disconnected and force shutting every non vital proceesses before running ow. i could do that again and upload a new trace should that help...

anyway, the graphs don't lie and i see that something is up, but do you have an idea what it might be?

could it be something like load line calibration and or hpc?
llc dynamically increases voltage when needed and hpd forces the CPU NOT to downclock.
(since i dont OC and have good cooling i feel it's safe to have HPC on)

regarding Avg, you mean Zone alarm right? cause i don't have AVG installed!

i do however have the same issue in overwatch on my windows 10 install too, and that only has window defender running and nothing else.

thanks again for your time
Hello babbrabush!

I am specifically referencing vprot.exe taking CPU time. IIRC that executable is installed with an AVG toolbar or web tune up application.

Thanks!
Bruce
11/01/2016 03:43 PMPosted by Bruce Wilkie
Hello babbrabush!

I am specifically referencing vprot.exe taking CPU time. IIRC that executable is installed with an AVG toolbar or web tune up application.

Thanks!
Bruce

oh i didnt realise i had that. i did install a torrent application a few days ago that mustve installed it.
i will uninstall it.

I would also like to reiterate -
the issue im having does NOT happen in Practice Range.

Would a trace when inside practice range be helpful to compare?
Hello drifs!

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide me your traces. I've uploaded a cross section of your PC when Overwatch is running, at this link. The top stacked graph is what your CPU is working on, the second line graph is another view of processes taking CPU resources, the third line graph is what your hard drive is doing, and the fourth graph is when your OS swaps memory to/from your hard drive.

It's difficult for me to say if Overwatch is having an issue or not - we have to solve your hard drive issue first. If your hard drive is constantly doing work when Overwatch is running, and worse yet, if you are swapping memory to your hard disk in addition to that, Overwatch (or any game for that matter) won't run smoothly.

In the top stacked graph, the green area is Overwatch. The mustard color area (as well as some others) is linked to Avast. Looking at your memory commit, it looks like over 20GB was in use at the time of the capture. I can't blame Avast for all of that, but having Avast do that much work while running Overwatch will make it difficult to have a positive experience playing. I don't use Avast, so I can't provide much insight here, but I'd certainly suggest taking a hard look at what is going on with regards to that software.

If you get your disk usage under control and Overwatch still has frame rate issues, I'd be happy to take a look at another trace.

Thanks!
Bruce