McCree is a "Solid Counter" to Genji

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
Highly Rated
I call bull!@#$. I get outplayed by even the most average Genjis. Hit em with a flashbang. Lines up the fan the hammer. Swift strikes away only landing 3 bullets on the Genji while proceeding to hand me my %^-. I find this *!@#ing annoying. When Blizzard said McCree can counter Genji the could not have been more wrong.
Just shoot him in the head twice while he is stunned, works a lot better than fth due to his slim hitbox.
10/16/2016 04:48 PMPosted by AMeiZing
Just shoot him in the head twice while he is stunned, works a lot better than fth due to his slim hitbox.

I try that and he just swift strikes and/or deflects and proceeds to hand me my !@#. The only times I do kill Genji is when he jumps mid air and I get a lucky headshot on him while his health is low.
He's not a hard counter by any means.

And if he gets away after a flash you have no one left to blame but yourself man
Maybe you're not as good as you think you are.
bait his deflect and then flashbang
you do know that they can deflect flashbangs right?...
10/16/2016 04:48 PMPosted by AMeiZing
You mean like this.
https://gfycat.com/OrganicImpoliteGalapagosmockingbird

And he will just sit this whole time just staring at you, doing noting.
10/16/2016 04:53 PMPosted by Daily

They can deflect the projectile itself but not the explosion, throw it above them
To nobody is McCree a counter to Genji, Winston is 10000 times better at getting rid of annoying Genjis than McCree ever was
McCree counters Genji like how Winston counters Reaper... I don't understand why so many people think he does when every piece of Genji's kit works against McCree.

Flashbang? Easily deflected. Followed by a right click of shurikens and a melee/dash dealing massive damage to McCree.

Flashbang + FtH? Deflect fully stops this from killing Genji and can punish McCree with his own shots. Even if the flashbang is not deflected, McCree cannot land enough shots with FtH to kill Genji unless Genji blows all his cooldowns. Genji can also dash away or through McCree for 50 free damage before enough shots connect.

Sharpshooting? Deflect punishes good aiming. Genji's enhanced mobility with dash and unlimited double jumps makes him the hardest target to land shots on. Not to mention he hides his head during a double jump.

McCree's lack of escape abilities or a good mobility ability make him an easy target for landing shuriken throws. These projectiles have bigger hitboxes and have no damage falloff. The only times where a McCree has the advantage is if he completely surprises Genji from behind, gets lucky/well-aimed shots consistently, or catches Genji with his abilities on cooldown.

And this cowboy is supposed to be a counter to Genji.
I don't understand why so many people think he does when every piece of Genji's kit works against McCree.
Cause he was supposed to. Cause people wanted to make it work thinking if they will practice more they will be able to.
Maybe you're not as good as you think you are.

If you are one of those who believes the system works, then that wouldn't matter, he is playing against people of the same skill, and he still getting raped by Genji.

I call bull!@#$. I get outplayed by even the most average Genjis. Hit em with a flashbang. Lines up the fan the hammer. Swift strikes away only landing 3 bullets on the Genji while proceeding to hand me my %^-. I find this *!@#ing annoying. When Blizzard said McCree can counter Genji the could not have been more wrong.

In my personal experience McCree is not a counter to Genji in the sense that he has the advantage, but i don't think Genji has a huge advantage either, the game is complicated and a lot is circumstantial.

The problem with McCree vs Genji is that he can deflect your flashbang and if he does so he has the advantage as he will dash you and start jumping like crazy and throwing shurikens at you until he kills you, and it's way easier to land Genji's shurikens than it is landing shots on a jumping Genji. Also Genjis are always jumping as i already mentioned and this makes it hard to make use of your stun even if you manage to land it.

What i usually do when there is a Genji is try to stay with my teammates as much as possible so that they will help me with him if necessary, and i don't have to do all the work nor give him the chance to kill me that easily, i do the same with Tracer as i do struggle against her as well.
If by solid you mean Genji flying across the map after a flashbang, then yeah. lol
10/16/2016 04:41 PMPosted by AnObeseRabi

FtH isn't really that reliable for finishing off Genji but to be fair same with the normal shots as well, one good reflect means all he has to do is dash and quick melee for the kill while he jumps around like a chimpanzee whose previous drink was a !@#$%^- laced double espresso. Not only that jumping also still carries momentum so even if you flash him mid-air he is still moving, making it much harder to aim at. Flash only lasts .7 seconds so you roughly have to be quick on the draw to hit the first headshot, and probably won't manage to get the second before he reflects and dashes out of there.
10/16/2016 05:14 PMPosted by Plazmasnake
Flashbang + FtH? Deflect fully stops this from killing Genji and can punish McCree with his own shots.

No it doesn't unless you take too long to fan
The only reliable counters to genji is winston and to a lesser extent (because of squishyness) symmetra.
He doesn't hard counter him obviously but McCree definitely has the advantage in a 1v1.
I remember so many times when I have shot Genji immediately after stunning him, only to have him reflect it while seemingly still stunned.
10/16/2016 05:37 PMPosted by Mestre
I remember so many times when I have shot Genji immediately after stunning him, only to have him reflect it while seemingly still stunned.
The same thing often happens with characters like Reaper and Mei.
Often there's enough time to press shift and survive. Because 0,7 seconds on a stun is a bad joke honestly.
Its kind of funny how Flashbang works on almost everyone expect the one it was intended for aka Genji.