Elo "hell"

Competitive Discussion
I've been playing comfortably right on the cusp of plat for a while now then all of a sudden today I am 4-17. with a 12 loss streak before I got a win. I'm consistently being trolled and raged at in game. I of course report those who wish for others to off themselves but it's getting to the point where I'm reporting people every single game now. This community seems to have taken a turn for worse and I think I'm going to leave this game alone for at least until next season now. It was fun while it lasted but I'm not going to play a game in which people regularly leave/give up and troll at the first sign of resistance from the enemy team.
... with a 12 loss streak... I'm consistently being trolled and raged at in game... it's getting to the point where I'm reporting people every single game now

I hate to break it to you, but it's you, not the game. You were tilting. Being tilted makes you play worse. It also can make players hyper-sensitive (exploding if someone suggests you do something different, even nicely) or overly-aggressive (blaming and flaming teammates at the first lost fight). Even if you were nice to your teammates, if you're playing awful people will get mad.

You might have started tired or off for some reason, causing you to lose a few, then you began tilting only make the problem worse. Or maybe you just happened to lose a couple games in a row due to chance, but you started to spiral down mentally: playing poorly, losing games, getting upset, playing even more poorly.

Tilting is a well known issue for anyone whose played a competitive game. It happens in single player games like Starcraft. It happens in team games like Overwatch, CounterStrike, or Dota. With teams, even if only one player is tilted, they alone can disrupt team communication, frustrate teammates, and drastically hurt teamwork.

The solution, however, is easy. Long before you lose 12 in a row, stop playing and take a break. Honestly 2 or 3 losses should be enough to make you step back for a bit. Even just 20-30 minutes to have a snack, watch some TV, or get a little exercise will break the spiral you were about to fall in.

Or you can just blame the game for something that has happened to players in every video ever, and never learn. Your call!
10/25/2016 11:07 AMPosted by FriendlyFire
... with a 12 loss streak... I'm consistently being trolled and raged at in game... it's getting to the point where I'm reporting people every single game now

I hate to break it to you, but it's you, not the game. You were tilting. Being tilted makes you play worse. It also can make players hyper-sensitive (exploding if someone suggests you do something different, even nicely) or overly-aggressive (blaming and flaming teammates at the first lost fight). Even if you were nice to your teammates, if you're playing awful people will get mad.

You might have started tired or off for some reason, causing you to lose a few, then you began tilting only make the problem worse. Or maybe you just happened to lose a couple games in a row due to chance, but you started to spiral down mentally: playing poorly, losing games, getting upset, playing even more poorly.

Tilting is a well known issue for anyone whose played a competitive game. It happens in single player games like Starcraft. It happens in team games like Overwatch, CounterStrike, or Dota. With teams, even if only one player is tilted, they alone can disrupt team communication, frustrate teammates, and drastically hurt teamwork.

The solution, however, is easy. Long before you lose 12 in a row, stop playing and take a break. Honestly 2 or 3 losses should be enough to make you step back for a bit. Even just 20-30 minutes to have a snack, watch some TV, or get a little exercise will break the spiral you were about to fall in.

Or you can just blame the game for something that has happened to players in every video ever, and never learn. Your call!

Taking a break is something I started long ago for the explicit reason that like anyone else I do tilt. Every 4 games if I feel annoyed I'll stop to do something else. Getting up and moving around to take my mind off the high of Overwatch and then returning anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 day later.

In game I always analyze my situations to try to make the best of my teammates strengths and ask the team how I did after each game. Of those 21 games that I played in 16 of them (12 losses and the 4 wins) my teammates that were not muted due to incessant swearing thought I played well, one player went so far as to call me a god at ana. The other 5 games they didn't respond or told me I played subpar in their opinions. I go into each game with the mindset that we have just as much of a chance to win as the enemy.

I see where you're coming from in assuming that I don't do those things you mentioned in order to de-tilt, from how I worded the initial post but it simply isn't the case. I suppose it could mean that I was never meant to be placed in high gold to begin with. It could also mean that those players I played against were simply better. I could have been very unlucky in my teammates. For example the fact that one of them in every game would start swearing at teammates (not me) for picking heroes like widowmaker on attack. If they had just looked at that persons statistics they would have seen that the widowmaker player had very good stats. Then there is the question of Blizzards matchmaker being broken in which they have flatly said season 2 has far more people in gold and platinum than they intended. I personally think it is a combination of these things that led to me having such a low winrate.

Edit: The fact still remains that people seem to becoming increasingly toxic as the matchmaker tries to combine people of vastly different actual skill levels because the system itself is flawed. If blizzard manages to even out the rankings then I'm sure everyone will have more enjoyable experiences.

There will still be people who think they are lower than they should be. Personally I don't care what my rank is. I play my hardest to win and allow the matchmaker to do its thing. I'm more focused on the displeasure other players seem to have from playing with a large pool of people of different actual skill levels.
im currently stuck between 3800-4000. Elo hell is a real thing up here. If only my teammates were better i'd hit 5k no problem.
Look at my season high :(

I find it helps to do a 3 person group before you queue, making sure that in those three people you can cover all three classes (I'm putting defense and offense into DPS here) WELL. Generally, if you do that, you can carry the three categories, and the rest can back up if they're not superstars.
I love the people that just say you alone are the problem, or you should easily be able to carry.

When you have bad dps that cant get more than 5 kills over the entire attack and defence stages,

lets say your at the hero selection screen and you see,

Roadhog, zenyatta, mccree, genji, tracer, so basically your starting with 2 squishy flankers a dps, a dps with off heals, and a dps off tank,
say you picked Reinhardt to try and give your team cover to get the job done,

at the end of the first round as Rein you have gold 5 kills off a good pick in the first 1.30
lets say you kill nothing for the rest of the round and just sheild, and end the round still with all 4 of your golds,

what is the way to fix this team where 0 people are on comms, 0 people will change, do you just go a 6th dps and hope for the best.

there are legitimatly bad players in soloQ that will blow your mind at the COD mentality of me first

I don't completely agree. The system isn't great and while the OP had "tilting effect", it doesn't mean everything is fine with the system. When system is bad and it is indeed quite bad, people are triggered by it. Then you only need small spark and it all goes ablaze - your team morale is gone, people more fight each other than enemy, etc.
It's the system rising this negativity among players, not the players themselves. Players are humans and humans react to environment - it's basic psychology and that backfires really badly. Very few have nerves of steel and are not being affected or triggered by this mess.

You can say what you want, but system has flaws. Some of those were already admitted by Scott Mercer and it's not end of story, but they won't tell you their system sucks completely (no developer would admit to that). So flaws and fixes will see the official daylight piece by piece over the time.

So stop being blind fanboy saying everything is fine. It's really not, however OP should not continue playing when he hits losing streak to avoid tilting. Taking some break, refreshing your mind always helps ;)

Can you prove it was only him tilting and nothing else?
10/25/2016 11:59 AMPosted by Tankz
im currently stuck between 3800-4000. Elo hell is a real thing up here. If only my teammates were better i'd hit 5k no problem.

Avoiding the issue and mocking others. Typical fanboi nonsense.
It's really not, however OP should not continue playing when he hits losing streak to avoid tilting. Taking some break, refreshing your mind always helps ;)
Which I addressed. I already do take breaks. The 4W-17L was over the course of a few days. I realize that even though I may not think I'm tilted I probably am so I take breaks especially if I start to feel annoyed.
having played from 1300 to 2300 in many groups (yeah my sr went as low as 1300)

sometimes groups will be just that bad.
the best you can do is find a good time to play. e.g. : for me, right after work like... 8pm till 10pm is like... kindergarten, full of spanish swearings and all dps no tank/sup

during those times, i just go for quickplay.. or well, youtube or even paladins these days. it is that bad.

after 10pm, things start to get better, im having less losing streaks and well

also, if you notice you're getting bad groups, just try another day.
The other day I had a guy that was eating chips and burping in voice com. His mic was push to talk, so it was obviously purposeful. I had another guy tell me to go !@#$ myself at the start of the match because I --and I kid you not --asked them how they wanted to approach point A. He then started singing a loud as he could. This tilted another player that immediately went Widow and straight up typed in chat they were going to throw the match.

I wish this was rare, but it's actually becoming MORE prevalent as time goes on. Yes, I report. Yes, I mute. Every. Single. Damned. Time. It never gets better. It never changes. And the strangest part is the ratio between this happening in S2 vs. S1 is far, far more prevalent. I had some toxicity in S1 of course, but not near as consistent.

All of the trash people and all of the trash players are all over Gold and Platinum --despite those being "mid" tiers. I have defended this system multiple times over the course of many different posts, but I simply cannot anymore. This game's MMR is messed up.
10/25/2016 02:54 PMPosted by SaintCyr
I had another guy tell me to go !@#$ myself at the start of the match because I --and I kid you not --asked them how they wanted to approach point A

LOL one time I was singing in the most annoying tone in my mic and forgot it was on at the start of a match. When I realized that they could hear me, I was like, "Oh !@#$."

I'm sure they thought I was trolling, but it wasn't intentional and I was embarrassed as hell.
As someone that's been high plat for around 100 games, then fell to 2.4 after a long loss streak, let me be the first to tell you no elo hell isn't real. Elo hell is where you belong my elo hell was 2.8k-2.9k. If you're wondering why you're in elo hell its because you've plateaued. If you think 2.4k isnt low enough thats fine, I've had friends on my buddy list that rose from 1.7k at lowest to 2.6k, from 2.3k to 2.9k and many more examples.

The problem with these elo hell threads is that the OP's dont understand the simple logic behind discussion; If you're saying something exists and I'm denying that, THE BURDEN OF PROOF LANDS ON YOU, you're the one that needs to prove something not me, show me solid evidence of elo hell aside from the usual "I'm getting trolled every game, and belong at a higher SR" you are ONE player in a pool of MILLIONS so just because YOU experience something doesnt mean the same for everyone.

The most damning thing about elo hell is that everyone says its at a different SR that alone is enough to conclude elo hell is complete BS.
if i'd known comp was all about losing pretty much all the time, i probably would not have started it. i've dropped almost 500 SR since placements, and i wonder why the hell i got put in gold in the first place. i'm obviously terrible and unable to improve, so is this it? time to quit? seems kind of pointless. i'm below 2000 SR now but still being forced on gold players with much higher SR, since it's apparently impossible to drop down to silver. so now i guess i'm one of the worst gold players and a burden on any team i play with. seems like it's time to quit.
I never get tilted because I always quit after losing 2 or 3 games in a row

I also switch up groups or solo q

Just don't take the game to seriously and it will help a bunch
“The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..” a quote by John Milton

I just looked up the name, as I remember this quote from someone's forum signature awhile back. Point being, I was gold tier and wanted plat tier, eventually got it but noticed my game enjoyment actually went down in the new tier I was in. I enjoyed playing Zenyatta, but the higher rank I went I was getting harassed more by better Genji/Tracer/Pharah players and it wasn't fun really if I think about it. Now I sit back in gold tier thinking "this isn't so bad", of the place I wanted out of before.

Just my own little anecdote, I know each person has different perspectives. Figured I'd share mine.

tl;dr Guess I'm a casual after all.
10/25/2016 03:14 PMPosted by Fuzzy
The most damning thing about elo hell is that everyone says its at a different SR that alone is enough to conclude elo hell is complete BS.

the problem we have is people naming it elo hell when the real problem is a bad matchmaking that tries to make a 50% chance to win game with bad parameters.

its 50% chance every game, with 1/6 of the variables being you. while others will roll for good results, some people will also get a really bad result.

so its probability hell lol

10/19/2016 02:28 PMPosted by Scott Mercer
When the matchmaker creates a match, it determines the % chance for each team to win based on the match it made. The VAST majority of matches are usually near to 50% (especially if you're a player closer to median skill rating and you're not in a group)
10/25/2016 01:42 PMPosted by b3rz
having played from 1300 to 2300 in many groups (yeah my sr went as low as 1300)

sometimes groups will be just that bad.
the best you can do is find a good time to play. e.g. : for me, right after work like... 8pm till 10pm is like... kindergarten, full of spanish swearings and all dps no tank/sup

during those times, i just go for quickplay.. or well, youtube or even paladins these days. it is that bad.

after 10pm, things start to get better, im having less losing streaks and well

also, if you notice you're getting bad groups, just try another day.

Yes, the some groups are terrible and some are excellent, it depends how they group. There is tendency to group just for the sake of xp bonus and those groups are terrible.

Now a bit about times when it gets worse. Simple answer - I don't care! I paid the money and I want to play the game whenever I want. If weekend casuals or afternoon casuals (lets call them this way) can't have SR matching their skill, how is that my problem? If leavers or trolls don't fall into SR abyss, that's not my problem, that is faulty competitive system. See in normal games, those leavers, trolls and griefers sink like rocks (Bronze IV-V in League of Legends, where they troll each other). I've been dropping up and down, I've been at various ranks (except those very high), I've been everywhere. At any given rank there are good players and there are terrible players. It really is all over the place.
I will admit it seems to me the lower you go the more difficult the game becomes. I had no problems winning matches in plat but when I ent down to gold the game suddenly became much more difficult. Bad team comps, little to no communication, getting placed with people doing placement matches, leavers and the lost goes on..

I find it kinda funny that it's easier to play in the higher ranks then it is in the lower.. but that being said it sounds to me like you are letting it get to you. Just chill yeah we all want more golden weapons, and better ranks but fighting with your team members no matter how good or bad they may be won't get you any closer.