Why is Symmetra a Support?

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
she is pretty much the epitome of a defense character
She best works when supporting another, meatier individual. She rarely works in 1v1.

Her turrets apply a slow, making people easier to shoot.

Her shield is literally a support ability.

Her ult supports the team by letting them get back to the fight sooner.
10/06/2016 06:43 AMPosted by FoolishStew5
She best works when supporting another, meatier individual. She rarely works in 1v1.

her ult is useless on offense.
her turrets are useless on offense.
having one useless shield ability does not justify classing her as support.
I just saw another thread suggesting blizz is gonna move her to defense so I guess I'm not alone in this thinking lol

By this definition, Mei is much more of a support than Symmetra.
I main Symmetra and play her on everything. She is fine and a worthy support.
10/06/2016 06:54 AMPosted by Prozak

I just saw another thread suggesting blizz is gonna move her to defense so I guess I'm not alone in this thinking lol

Her ult is amazing on offense, especially because defense doesn't move up past the payload to find the teleporter.

Her turrets are amazing at shutting down flankers, just keep putting new ones up.

Her shield isn't useless if your team knows how to use cover.

10/06/2016 06:55 AMPosted by Roymachine

Mei don't support the team on the same manner. She is one of the single best 1v1 heroes and is a compete area denial hero, not an anti-flanker. That is a defense hero.
10/06/2016 07:00 AMPosted by FoolishStew5

Her ult is amazing on offense, especially because defense doesn't move up past the payload to find the teleporter.

Her turrets are amazing at shutting down flankers, just keep putting new ones up.

Her shield isn't useless if your team knows how to use cover.

10/06/2016 06:55 AMPosted by Roymachine

Mei don't support the team on the same manner. She is one of the single best 1v1 heroes and is a compete area denial hero, not an anti-flanker. That is a defense hero.

rofl symmetra isn't an area denial hero?! she literally shuts down entire avenues of attack and can 1v3 people that run into her turret nests. your logic for determining a support hero is retarded.

Which is why she's getting a massive rework in the near-ish future. Surprise!
That's not because her support is weak and that she can have turrets ,that she must automatically be a defense character.
10/06/2016 07:11 AMPosted by Prozak

rofl symmetra isn't an area denial hero?! she literally shuts down entire avenues of attack and can 1v3 people that run into her turret nests. your logic for determining a support hero is retarded.

No one who is competent with symmetra believes she is an effective area denial hero. If she uses 6 turret it will only take an attack with dps of 6 to destroy the trap she set. A pillar of mei's ice wall has 500 hp, junkrats traps are 100. I have over 70 hours with symmetra and the only time I can 1v3 people is if they are of a much lower rank and don't understand symmetra primary or if they are considerable low on health to begin with and can't aim for !@#$. She is support because she is based of utility to help them team and to not engage the enemy but for the enemy to engage her.

This is different from most defense heroes cause they tend to have kits that have engaging and disengaging abilities. Torbs gun has distance or spread and molton core makes him hella aggressive. Mei's gun is perfect for 1v1 but her alt as suppressing aspect. Junkrat lays traps while lobbing Grenades. Snipers are true to their name. And Bastión through out so much dps that it makes the oppsing team stop and think for a bit.

Symmetra has similarity to defense but at the end of the damn ISNT a defense character.
She's the only support that can't heal. By virtue of that alone an argument can be made to move her to defense. But let's consider another character, Torbjorn. She does many close range turrets, he does one long range. He makes armor, she gives shields. They both have slow right clicks and powerful left clicks. They both operate best on defense, particularly defending objectives. The teleporter does not provide enough "support" to justify being support. If anything it provides defense because it gets the defense team back to the point to defend it faster.
She was a ''support'' because they needed 4 heroes to fill the support role in Overwatch release, now that we have Ana they are going to move Symmetra to the defense role after she gets reworked.
Love how everyone misses what they said in the video

they said we would rather move her to defense rather than make her a healer and make her something she is not.
yet all people hear is "------move her to defense---'
10/06/2016 08:04 AMPosted by JasonBellond

they said we would rather move her to defense rather than make her a healer and make her something she is not.

It's already common sense between the medium to high-end players that she is not a support, assuming they will move her to defense is perfectly sensible.

The support category should be reserved for healers and possible future characters that don't heal but can give useful buffs, not this ambiguous mess that it is right now or else you can argue that every character is a support.
as a symmetra main
I can tell you guys she is defanatly the all rounder kind of character

her gun does massive damage comparable to most attack heroes

her turrets can (If placed well) help out on defense no doubt about it

and she gives an extra 25 hp which can help out more than people will ever care to notice

she is just this really odd Attack/defense/support hero but currently she is regarded as the weakest because of all the other characters that are their to balance her out but due to buffs and nerfs she kind of ended up in this bottom of the barrel.
10/06/2016 08:15 AMPosted by Maat
10/06/2016 08:04 AMPosted by JasonBellond

It's already common sense between the medium to high-end players that she is not a support, assuming they will move her to defense is perfectly sensible.

The support category should be reserved for healers and possible future characters that don't heal but can give useful buffs, not this ambiguous mess that it is right now or else you can argue that every character is a support.

Symmetra shield is a buff by nature while her turrets are debuffing by nature as well. Jeff didn't say she is going to be a defense character. The context was, "we would rather make her a defense hero than make her a healer."
By that by logic mercy and Lucio are defense heroes as well.
10/06/2016 08:32 AMPosted by BT160526
Symmetra shield is a buff by nature while her turrets are debuffing by nature as well. Jeff didn't say she is going to be a defense character.

I said useful buffs, not terrible buffs that barely makes any difference and almost no one past platinum uses.

10/06/2016 08:33 AMPosted by BT160526
By that by logic mercy and Lucio are defense heroes as well.

How exactly by following my logic do you reach this conclusion? Care to ellaborate?
10/06/2016 08:33 AMPosted by BT160526
By that by logic

I don't think there's much logic in this thread.
There's an odd category thing going on here.

Symmetra is by all means, a defense hero, not support. She excels at defending a point, not supporting.

The Lucio and Mercy analogy is there because they both provide positive buffs to an ally (speed boost and attack boost respectively) while healing.

In order for Symmetra to become support she should either provide meatier shields, an overheal (temporary shields that go above the target's HP) or have turrets that heal or perform actual support. She does not.

This is one of those odd category things, because Winston is a tank that performs like an attack hero. He jumps in, causes havoc, attacking weaker or weakened enemies, and then jumps out, similar to Tracer. They perform the same jobs.

Zenyata is the obverse. He's an attack hero that happens to have support skills. He can heal, and discord enemies, but at the end of the day, he's primary function is to attack from range.

What should happen is Zenyata should move over to attack along with Winston, and Symmetra should move over to defense.