Why is Symmetra a Support?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
For starters, Healer =/= support, can we clear this up?

Secondly, the one defining trait shared by all the supports that no other hero does (Widowmaker is an odd case) is their ults affect allies only.
Ana ult -> Buff ally
Mercy ult -> res allies
Lucio ult -> Shield allies
Zen ult -> Heal allies
Symmetra -> Teleport allies
Widowmaker is an odd case, but you can look at it as Widowmaker is actually debuffing enemies rather than buffing allies.

Third. To the guy that obnoxiously said "she's only support because they needed four". No. Just no. they made her support because Blizzard see her as a support. Multiple times they have said this, including in the video yesterday.

Finally to the guy that says her ult is useless on attack. Well you simply lack imagination.
10/06/2016 06:54 AMPosted by Prozak

her ult is useless on offense.
her turrets are useless on offense.

The only thing that makes her useless on offense is that one or two players will become so preoccupied with being as toxic as possible they'll prioritize that over playing the game.
10/06/2016 06:54 AMPosted by Prozak
I just saw another thread suggesting blizz is gonna move her to defense so I guess I'm not alone in this thinking lol
did that really make you laugh out loud? Anyway, yeah, I wouldn't mind her being classified as defense, since I see her weapons as akin to a mini winston/mei type character, and it would eliminate some of the idiotic reactions to picking her.
She best works when supporting another, meatier individual. She rarely works in 1v1.

Her turrets apply a slow, making people easier to shoot.

Her shield is literally a support ability.

Her ult supports the team by letting them get back to the fight sooner.

Just saying, but Torb also gives more hp with armour, and his turret prevents players from doing as they please as long as it's up, especially if it's tucked into a corner or room somewhere, like in Volskaya or Temple of Anubis around objective A.

The only thing that really makes her a support character with Torb in the defensive roster is her teleporter. Basically, they're both hybrids of defense and support, just like how Roadhog is a hybrid of a tank and defensive hero (he's shares similarities to Mei, where he can stall the objective or incoming enemy players).

I think the reason why Symmetra is hard to pin down as a defensive or support hero is that she's not definitively either, when compared to others on the roster.
I suppose I should also mention the reason Symmetra fills the role of support over Torbjorn is because her shield provides long term damage mitigation. If you get hit by a few loose bullets from say a reaper shooting at long range, or the occasional spread from a bastion, her shields heal that small damage back up so you don't actually lose any health. Meanwhile, once that armour Torb gives you is gone, it's gone.
Symetra is for defense
I wouldn't say Symmetra was useless on offense, the teleporter is clutch if you are pushing the payload and when you get to the check point you get a certain percentage back based on how many charges that were used, sometimes you can put the teleporter back up. On attack the turrets are really used to get kills, they are used as alarms and to help charge the teleporter, which happens pretty fast. King of the Hill, Symmetra excels there too. Symmetra's biggest downfall is her counters Winston and Pharah. They destroy her turrets so fast, sometimes with one shot. Which can definitely cramp her style. But I've won quite a bit on attack with her. So it can be done. Hopefully with the revamp it will be a lot easier and not so stressful. I think a speed buff is definitely needed for her as well. As a character that constantly has to run off to set traps and her teleporter.

Personally I would want Symmetra to be moved to defense based on how she is now, but doing that, they would have to buff the hp of her turrets to put her more in line "balance wise" as a defense. Now they are working on her, who knows, they may totally revamp her shields making her a more valuable support.
10/06/2016 09:19 AMPosted by JoJo
Symetra is for defense

Thank you for your oh so helpful input
Buff her armor ability or move her to different tier.
Symmetra is a Defense / Support Hybrid.
But because her Ultimate is a supporting ability, that means she is Ultimately a Support character.

I'll show myself out.
She:

-is best played behind someone else
-provides a refreshing 25HP (though the HPS on it isn't exactly nuts) throughout a fight
-Slows people
-Has incredibly damage that's not very noted by players
-cuts your effective respawn timer (ie, not when you respawn but the time it takes you to get back to a FIGHT) by over half.

She's a weird support, but she's a support. Maybe they'll change that.
10/06/2016 09:30 AMPosted by Practical

-is best played behind someone else

I personally disagree with this, but it's the main way people play her :P I play her rather offensively
Because you have to be supportive despite bad behavior
Most healing provide benefits to 1 hero at a time, or in a specific radius:
    1. Improved chances of winning a fight.
    2. Reduced need to run for health packs.
    3. Reduced number of times players die.

Symmetra provides a weaker benefit to all heroes, all over the map:
    1. Improved chances of winning a fight (shields + extra pressure from teleporting in to an advantageous position.)
    2. Slightly reduced need to run for health packs.
    3. Reduced time spent running back after you die.

Symmetra's support is diluted, but it is still support. "Death isn't the handicap it used to be."
Support =/= healing. Support means buffing your team in a supportive way. Her shield give the player a permanent buff to health (albeit a small one) and her ult is a support ult, aka it helps the team and doesn't directly dmg the enemy team.
To put it simply,
Defense is about manipulating the enviorment to hold a point.
Support is about assisting your team.

Symmetra is a combo of these two. She has elements of a defense character geared more towards a support roll.
A Support's job is to amplify their allies, as opposed to trying to destroy the enemy directly. This can take many forms, most notably healing your allies so they don't die. Though Symmetra doesn't heal her allies, she supports her team through increasing their max health, creating distracting turrets which slow the enemies movement, and using the teleporter to shorten the time it takes to run back after dying.

There are many other support concepts that we haven't done yet, but we could do some day. For example, we could have a support character that's main focus was to weaken the enemy, instead of strengthening their allies. In that case they are still focused on amplifying their team, as opposed to directly attacking and defeating the enemy themselves.

That said, our roles are mearly guidelines and Overwatch heroes aren't intended to fit rigidly into these buckets. For example, Zenyatta/Zarya/Roadhog can deal a lot of damage, even if the roles they are assigned to aren't primarily focused on dealing damage. Widowmaker and Junkrat can make potent offensive heroes, even though they are categorized as defensive heroes.

As Jeff mentioned in the recent dev update, we're looking into Symmetra right now and trying to make her more fun to play and more viable in more situations. I don't have any more details just yet as we're still prototyping some stuff, but I can say its not going to be just numbers tweaks for her.
10/06/2016 10:34 AMPosted by Geoff Goodman
A Support's job is to amplify their allies, as opposed to trying to destroy the enemy directly. This can take many forms, most notably healing your allies so they don't die. Though Symmetra doesn't heal her allies, she supports her team through increasing their max health, creating distracting turrets which slow the enemies movement, and using the teleporter to shorten the time it takes to run back after dying.

There are many other support concepts that we haven't done yet, but we could do some day. For example, we could have a support character that's main focus was to weaken the enemy, instead of strengthening their allies. In that case they are still focused on amplifying their team, as opposed to directly attacking and defeating the enemy themselves.

That said, our roles are mearly guidelines and Overwatch heroes aren't intended to fit rigidly into these buckets. For example, Zenyatta/Zarya/Roadhog can deal a lot of damage, even if the roles they are assigned to aren't primarily focused on dealing damage. Widowmaker and Junkrat can make potent offensive heroes, even though they are categorized as defensive heroes.

As Jeff mentioned in the recent dev update, we're looking into Symmetra right now and trying to make her more fun to play and more viable in more situations. I don't have any more details just yet as we're still prototyping some stuff, but I can say its not going to be just numbers tweaks for her.

I think you made a mistake by having such arbitrary and restricting labels in the first place. Now you are going to have to constantly explain why you placed one hero into one category or another, instead of focusing on creating unique characters.

Please just remove the categories, the are simply pointless, and an aggravation and merely exist to cause confusion at this point.

Downvote all you want, but categorizing yourself is just a form of self-restriction. Remove the labels and let the characters speak for themselves.

I still don't like you changing Symmetra

If any thing, we need at least 50 on the shield she gives.

Would be funny if we can attach turrets to team mates lol

I think a lot of players just don't know how to utilize Symmetra in the specific way she's been designed so they scream that she needs an complete overhaul. I hope whatever you guys are planning doesn't change her so much that she's not recognizable anymore. It's quite unfortunate to learn the ins-and-outs of a character only to have them altered so much that everything you learned and practiced is nullified.