Surviving Genji as Mercy

General Discussion
As a matter of fact - you can't. By yourself I mean. Fly away to your Rein/Zarya and hope you'll not get killed while you fly. I tend to disagree with guys who are suggesting to rely solely on the Guardian Angel so that Geni will not engage vs 2 enemies. It's working consistently only if you've noticed him before he actually jumped on you. If not - you'll fly to the teammate already wounded and decent Genji will pursue you with his dash: he'll most likely finish you + get a free escape card since dash resets on kill.

That's the truth about Mercy - you have to track enemy movements and be the one with the most situational awareness. You have to predict flankers and know their routes. You have to think "aha, that guy went to the right, so he'll be coming most likely there". You can increase your survival chances, but you can't achieve the consistent strategy of dealing with decent Genji. It's his job to kill supports and good Genji knows that. The issue that only Mercy is in a very bad spot against flankers right now.
10/16/2016 02:31 PMPosted by Joey
10/16/2016 02:20 PMPosted by Brady
A lot of times you can't do anything. Thats the problem with Mercy. Every healer has a way of dealing with him but all mercy has is "fly to a teammate" and "hope you get lucky with your blaster" which is very situational. If a genji is dead set on killing you, you might as well switch until the devs address this issue.

Zenyatta as no way of dealing with genji ult.

No, "shoot him" is not a solution, because good !@#$ing luck shooting him when he's dashing right into your face and 1shotting you.

He has his ultimate
A lot of times you can't do anything. Thats the problem with Mercy. Every healer has a way of dealing with him but all mercy has is "fly to a teammate" and "hope you get lucky with your blaster" which is very situational. If a genji is dead set on killing you, you might as well switch until the devs address this issue.

No, "shoot him" is not a solution, because good !@#$ing luck shooting him when he's dashing right into your face and 1shotting you.

I survive more on Zen than Mercy easily. Zen can put up the discorb orb and force out a deflect. Even if you're missing with those orbs, Genji knows the danger. Ironically, despite being a lower mobility character than Mercy he escapes more often this way, which just shows what hot garbage Guardian Angel really is in a serious situation.
I agree with Brady. As someone with almost 30hrs on Mercy, 1v1 is a death sentence. Unless that Genji is trash.

My strategy is to stay close, but not too close, to your team. Hiding around corners can help, but Genji will eventually catch on. Your greatest strength is you GA. The cooldown is super low compared to Genji's Dash. Plus you can get about the same distance of movement. When I see a Genji near me, I GA to the furthest teammate and use them as a shield. Sometimes Genji will dash looking for a kill. GA again. You can fly around the battlefield and make your team see he is after you.

When Genji Ults, this is a different story. Generally I'm the first person he goes after. So I'm am constantly spamming GA in the hopes of surviving while Damage Boosting/Healing my team.

Of course, this all depends if your team is actually paying attention. Most of the time they are and will switch to handle Genji. Other times...you'll spend more time walking back from spawn.
Ask for help and pray your teammates listen.
It's very hard to survive Genji's gank, especially during ults.

There are a few methods:

Bouncer- stick to an ally with a hard counter to genji like Winston, Mcree or Mei. For Winston, damage boost the winston to keep the genji away or force a retreat.
Scatter- Essentially fly towards 2 or 3 distant targets since swift strike has a 10 sec CD, and it will be the primary killing stroke.
Escape Guardian- requires chat, have a buddy with high mobility like Pharah or an allied Genji. If its Pharah, perform the boost and zip over to her, glide down, or stay in the air. If its genji, make sure he's zipping out of fire, rather than into fire.
I only survive if I'm in a small space where he can't jump high. Otherwise I die almost every time.
10/16/2016 10:03 AMPosted by Dairy
How in the world do I survive against a decent Genji?

I've tried playing close to my team so they can react easily but I end up taking damage from the rest of the enemy team. I have also tried staying far back to stay safe but I end up getting singled out by Genji before my team can react.

It is frustrating how quickly he can burst you and how sticky he can be. Survival seems damn near impossible god-forbid he ults and jumps straight you.

Any tips or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated!

You don't. Just spam Fly as best you can before you or the Genji dies.
Genji counters Mercy.

If your teammates won't help you deal with him, then you have to switch, just as your average Genji player has to switch when someone goes Winston.
Technically speaking.. you have a higher DPS than Genji does.. so kill him xD
In a more realistic scenario, try to fly to one of your teammates. Preferably one that is on a high ground. TL;DR: Get away asap.

What are you on about? Discord will help teammates to drop him quicker, trans now has the same duration as dragonblade and will even get you through nanobosted one (if Ana isn't smart enough to use biotic grenade)

Genji counters Mercy.
Literally everything counters Mercy.
Swap to a hero that can handle it. Zenyatta and Ana deal way better with genji, so just swap.
If you don't think you should swap characters to counter another...I don't think you understand the point of the game.
You don't. I usually give it 2 deaths then switch to another support. So many times the enemy genji will solo ult me and then his team rolls us.
Shoot him, when he deflects, stop. Then shoot him again.
I can tell you from over 200 hours of experience, you don't. When you see the Genji its best to just give up and accept your death.
No but for real a good Genji, at his current state, is pretty hard to counter as Mercy given that Genji is a counter to Mercy. (I mean, who isn't a counter to Mercy) As stated in previous responses your best option is to fly to teammates given that Genji will have a much harder time killing you if you have your team around. Your blaster is always an option but when it comes to Genjis jumping around, you will need some good aim and tracking to land shots on him. Or the third option, if theres a cliff near by to jump off of, jump. If the Genji or anyone for that fact is good and you know your not going to win the fight, better to jump than let them kill you.
Genji counters Mercy.
Literally everything counters Mercy.
Flying around with shift does the trick, as long as you have team mates in various places. Otherwise there isnt anything you can do. You can try to kill him, but a good genji will always kill you as mercy.
You cant. You shouldn`t. If mecry will be able to kill genji, genji will be useless. Genji's role is flanker i.e. He has to kill mercy, zenyata, ana and etc. Each Support has their own way to survive flankers.

Zenyata has high damage.
Ana can sleepdart
Lucio has speedboost
Mercy can fly to teammate or grab a pistol.
Symmetra.....Genji doesn`t like to flank symmetra....
You can escape most Genjis by flying to a far away teammate after he blows his dash.

A good Genji will either save his dash and just run up to you, dash close to you before ulting and dash again with the reset, or get a reset on one of your teammates and then catch up.
In this case it is better to just switch to Lucio. Overwatch is a game of counters, and Mercy isn't exempt from this. Lucio can pretty much survive a Genji ult all the time if Lucio has all his abilities up.

Surviving against a good Genji as Mercy depends on your teammates. A McCree needs to flash bang that Genji or a Zarya needs to shield you. If your teammates can't protect you, consider switching to Zen or Lucio so you can peel for yourself.