20% on Zarya? Seriously?

PTR Bug Report
10/20/2016 03:30 PMPosted by SaintSteel
10/20/2016 03:06 PMPosted by MotoraBR
Yeap, its a pointless and unfair nerf.
Zarya doesn't need a nerf , players should really know how to counter pick instead.

If you are gunna tell people to learn to counter pick, list some viable counters....

Pharah
Tracer
Reaper
Widowmaker
Mercy
Bastion to an extent

People really need to learn how to play.
It is already incredibly difficult to charge up your shields against very good players (when using weapons with less travel time)

This change will make her pretty much useless, apart from the usage of her ulti and comboing that, or with heavy flanking hero combos (tracer/genji/winston).

Not to mention Zarya's ulti is one of the slowest one in the game to charge up. She is actually getting a ~45% ultimate charge up time increase (25% global and 20% dmg decrease).

Already planning on changing mains. Rein/roadhog/dva (all the other tanks are now MUCH stronger) or junkrat/soldier 76 are looking really good right now, if nothing changes.

They will either reduce the nerfs to Zarya, or her competitive play will go down dramatically.
I literally read the title and knew I needed to share my experience in my first and only match of the PTR so far, as Zarya, so I have no idea what anyone else has said so far but the change is hardly noticable. Granted I was contesting a small room instead of the point, but still I kept full charge, and gained it, at a fairly decent rate.
I have tested zarya out myself and I don't mind the charge nerf, but they should keep the shield at 200 instead of 160 which is why people feel that the shield drops way too quickly.
10/20/2016 03:42 PMPosted by Oizen
Being the top picked for 2 months straight does however mean theres a balance issue.

Not really, or at least not with her. Zarya is one of the few heroes that was pretty well balanced. It took a player that knew how to use her kit well, as well as a coordinated team, in order to get the most out of her. The only reason shes been seeing so much playtime lately is because all her counters are unviable, either due to nerfs to them (widow), or their own counters being too prevalent (Pharah). If Blizzard really thinks there's a problem with her high pick-rate, which they really shouldnt considering its mostly at the pro level, then they should buff her counters. They need it more than she does.
10/20/2016 04:51 PMPosted by Armsdragon18
Being the top picked for 2 months straight does however mean theres a balance issue.

Not really, or at least not with her. Zarya is one of the few heroes that was pretty well balanced. It took a player that knew how to use her kit well, as well as a coordinated team, in order to get the most out of her. The only reason shes been seeing so much playtime lately is because all her counters are unviable, either due to nerfs to them (widow), or their own counters being too prevalent (Pharah). If Blizzard really thinks there's a problem with her high pick-rate, which they really shouldnt considering its mostly at the pro level, then they should buff her counters. They need it more than she does.

Very true, agreed.

Well said
3 barriers instead of 2 is very reasonable. Zarya is a hard counter to far too many heroes as it is, and reducing her ability to beam everybody to death in a single use of both skills is more than fair.
Is it just me or am I LOSING energy at a higher rate on PTR? I didn't see anything in the patch notes about this.
10/20/2016 03:40 PMPosted by Seeley
10/20/2016 03:06 PMPosted by Buho

80% energy dropping + wait >10 secs to pop shields again, and pray for the enemy being dumb again to shoot them so the energy goes back by a bit.

No sir, this will put a lot of stress on an already skill needed hero.

What levels are you playing on? At high levels Zaryas are not waiting for enemy to shoot barrier, they use barrier when enemy is already shooting. Like ulting ally, ally getting rekt, Reinhardt fire stuff, bombs, rockets, protection from enemy ult etc.

Exactly. This whole "Dont shoot the shield" rhetoric is just Zarya mains trying to justify their OP hero. A skilled Zarya FORCES you to shoot the shield, it's unavoidable, and they know it.
Let us all take consideration in high level play. Because it is very different at high diamond than let say medium platinum. There is a big gap in skill
10/20/2016 04:21 PMPosted by Kavorka

If you are gunna tell people to learn to counter pick, list some viable counters....

Pharah
Tracer
Reaper
Widowmaker
Mercy
Bastion to an extent

People really need to learn how to play.
It is already incredibly difficult to charge up your shields against very good players (when using weapons with less travel time)

This change will make her pretty much useless, apart from the usage of her ulti and comboing that, or with heavy flanking hero combos (tracer/genji/winston).

Not to mention Zarya's ulti is one of the slowest one in the game to charge up. She is actually getting a ~45% ultimate charge up time increase (25% global and 20% dmg decrease).

Already planning on changing mains. Rein/roadhog/dva (all the other tanks are now MUCH stronger) or junkrat/soldier 76 are looking really good right now, if nothing changes.

They will either reduce the nerfs to Zarya, or her competitive play will go down dramatically.

of the 6 counters you gave 4 are considered fairly bad pharah is just a flying zarya battery
I also fail to see how mercy counters her in any way
Bastion is bastion,
widowmaker is barely used because no maps are designed for long range engagements

the only two you can call counters are reaper and tracer, and honestly they are far more like soft counters than hard counters. Reaper is a tank buster by heart, so of course he will be a strong counter to zarya, but keep in mind that his shotguns can at the current moment give her 50 charge on her beam, which means engaging a half charged zarya can recipe for disaster even with reapers tank busting

tracer on the other hand, kind've. Keep in mind zarya with a second of focused fire at full charge can immediately killer her, and at about full charge her right click can kill tracer in two hits, not exactly the best possible counter for her.

these are both really okay counters for her, but at the moment she is a hard counter to several characters (like dva), and melts through basically everything from armor to health. People have argued shes just the only balanced tank, but lets be honest, her kit is insanely powerful when used right, of course there are bad zaryas, but there were also bad genjis, it doesnt mean a character isnt too powerful just because people are bad with them.

I think these changes will make zarya less of a neccesary pick in any team comp, which is fine by me, no hero should be neccesary to win a game, and zarya fills that role right now.
The Soldier Buff combined with the energy nerf AND the Ult Charge nerf.... yikes.
I hope this isn't a change that goes through.
10/20/2016 03:06 PMPosted by MotoraBR
Yeap, its a pointless and unfair nerf.
Zarya doesn't need a nerf , players should really know how to counter pick instead.

Counters to zarya are, Soldier 76: Run out of her range and shoot her. Widow: Kill her from afar, Zaryas can rarely shield a headshot from you on time. Tracer: Zarya cant trrack her well enough to kill her. Also if you dont shoot her barriers She is useless and simple to kill
10/20/2016 05:55 PMPosted by Salmonman
10/20/2016 03:40 PMPosted by Seeley

What levels are you playing on? At high levels Zaryas are not waiting for enemy to shoot barrier, they use barrier when enemy is already shooting. Like ulting ally, ally getting rekt, Reinhardt fire stuff, bombs, rockets, protection from enemy ult etc.

Exactly. This whole "Dont shoot the shield" rhetoric is just Zarya mains trying to justify their OP hero. A skilled Zarya FORCES you to shoot the shield, it's unavoidable, and they know it.

What in gods name aare you talking about??? How about when you see that big pink thing on an enemy dont just say "Eeeeeeeeeh !@#$ it i need this kill" And not shoot it. It is not hard at all. Zarya cant force you to shoot the shields, you are the only one that forces yourself to shoot the shields.

Give this man a beer
I agree this makes no sense, it seems almost unreachable to get 100% energy with this nerf. You pretty much have to measure your cooldowns precisely in order to have either your shield or the projected one back up to get the extra 20%. Zarya's damage comes from high energy and now you are taking this away from her. Useless hero now, and my main. I suggest to leave her the same, AND if anything reduce the uptime of your shield. That would make more sense since you will have to really predict the enemies in order to get charge; what Zarya is all about.

This guy knows what hes talking about.
This is honestly something I've been waiting for. There's always the one teammate constantly charging up Zarya, and she's a very strong tank charged up. This will at least make her more of a tank/protector and less of a heavy damage dealer. Not too much of a nerf but just enough to even her out.
Try this on for size. Make it so that her barrier stays active and absorbs all the DMG done to it in the duration. Meaning the duration being two seconds, lasts two seconds. You cant just burn through it you actually have to wait. This would be kinda cool to test and see how it really effects the game. Two effective seconds of invincibility might change the whole meta in its entirety. (Just a thought for testing purposes)