Ilios game loading bug.

Bug Report
Prev 1 23 24 25 Next
10/19/2016 05:49 PMPosted by shablaman
First time playing comp in a couple weeks today, and this happened to me 3 times on Lijiang Tower... didn't see Ilios at all.

Same here. 3 times get the map-3 times have to close the game down.
happens to me as well
Happened to me in Lijiang Tower too.
please do something
This has now happened to me on both ilios and lijiang tower 3 times each. Is blizzard ever going to address this? my SR has tanked and now I'm unable to play because of my ban and it's extremely frustrating.
I think I might have found a possible solution: port forwarding! I don't know if this is really going to work or not, but I recently stumbled upon something mentioning port forwarding for overwatch (which was a new concept for me) and then, after further searching, found someone who was having connectivity issues have their issue resolved by port forwarding.

Essentially, in lament terms, for those who do not understand what a port is: essentially information on the internet is transferred via ports. There are literally thousands of ports on a computer, and some ports are commonly used for some things, while others are commonly used for others. Which port a "packet" of information comes in is not really important.

The problem is when those packets are colliding with other packets that are coming in or out and causing lost packets. Basically, the game is trying to send and receive data, but there are other parts of your computer trying to use the same ports.

I'm not much of computer science expert, but that is about as good as I can explain it with my current level of knowledge in computers.

This thread:

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20744904846?page=1

This is where I found the blizz guy talking about port forwarding, in addition, i found this:

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/300479?utm_source=Internal-TechForum&utm_medium=Posting&utm_campaign=BlizzardCS&utm_content=solution

from blizz which talks about which ports are used for their games, and apparently, some people do port forwarding for games all the time to help improve connection issues.

I tried it out with just the TCP ports just now (as that was all it told me to change on this website that blizz linked about setting up port forwarding), and where I was experiencing horrible lag early today, now my connection seems crystal clear! The game seems to be running even better than before. I'm going to try out the UDP ports now as well, and later I will test this out in competitive to try and once again have my game back.

So why do I think this is the problem? Simple! I was searching for things about overwatch port forwarding on google, mostly came up with reddit responses, and one of the comments said that they noticed that the ports had changed.... hmmm.... and looking at the website that lists the ports for the game on the blizz website, it actually says it was updated 7 days ago.... which is about the time when I started noticing this issue..... hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

And even though it may be coincidence that I didn't have lag in my game after setting up port forwarding, it seems to have at least made things better for right now.

So, I'm going to run with this crazy theory, try it out. Anyone who wants to join me, please do. Remember that the port forwarding is ip specific, and it won't affect anyone else in the house. It may also be slightly confusing so I am more than willing to help walk people through it if needed. Please let me know.

Finally, here is the 3rd-party site that blizz linked to for setting up port forwarding for overwatch. That's where I got my info for. It only walks you through setting up the TCP ports, not the UDP ports, but the process is very similar for both.

https://portforward.com/router.htm
After testing my theory, I'm not sure that the results show that this has actually fixed the problem. I definitely did notice a difference between when I tried to play earlier today and after I made the changes, and I would assert the opinion that it does have a positive effect on gameplay.

I looked up more on port forwarding and people who play games like COD have said that they definitely noticed a difference after doing this. So I am going to keep these changes.

However, as far as loading into maps, I only played one competitive match, which was on Numbani, and the game took a lot longer than reasonable to load-in, leaving me with only a few seconds to pick my character. That indicates to me that my work-around did not solve the problem, and hopefully we can find a solution or Blizzard can address the problem.

However, if anyone else is brave enough to try this, I would please ask that you do to see if it works for you. If not in competitive, at least in quick play so we can get some more feedback. I'm sorry that I am not brave enough to try multiple competitive matches to get a bigger sample size, but right now, I'm just not trusting the game servers to load fast enough.
Just happen again dude this is getting out of hand. ive lost 300+ CR cause this game is being the worst. I get lijung or what ever boom cant get past the vs screen

NOW I HAVE A DAMN TWO HOUR BAN. THATS 3 min+ 5+ 10+ 20+ 30+30 + 2H SO 3H37M OF WASTED TIME. Im not the only one clearly. This is killing the game. Im about to ask for a refund for the game at this point
I found an older post that addressed this same issue from about 5 months ago. I've implemented these changes as well and am going to test it out in competitive to see if I have fixed the issue. In addition, I ran the repair tool. Wish me luck, guys!

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20744554331?page=2#post-34

P.S.: This fix seemed to work for a lot of people in the thread I linked.
My science seems to be paying off. I just played two games in a row that loaded at a normal speed after implementing the changes in my last post (namely disabling the SIP ALG in my router and disabling and re-enabling the UPnP). I have not played another game on Ilios yet, nor have I gotten a game on Lijiang Tower, but this will give me enough confidence to play some more competitive until I run into those maps and have a chance to try them out.

There is a significant and noticeable change after doing these steps, combined with the port forwarding. I'm going to continue to try and find other fixes that people have implemented in the meantime, and I will update everyone as to how my fixes are going as I continue to play some more competitive.

Here is a short list of changes I've made since this problem started occuring:

-Switch my DNS server to Google's DNS server 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 which improved my internet in general.
-Ran the repair tool in battle.net
-Implemented Port Forwarding (ask me for help if you need assistance with this)
-Disabled SIP ALG
-Disabled then Enabled UPnP on my router
-In addition to other things that didn't seem to change anything such as: Deleting the cache folder, releasing and renewing my ip, and flushing the DNS server.
Here's a quick run-down on port forwarding:
(feel free to ask questions if you need more help)

Step 1: Set a static IP address for your computer or console.
In my router this is located under DHCP > Address Reservation

You will need your MAC address (which you should be able to find in your router settings) and choose an IP address to permanently have.

Step 2: Find Forwarding > Virtual Servers
This was a main option not a sub-option

Step 3: Click Add and fill in the Service Port, your new IP address, and toggle the Protocol to match the correct port. (Note, you can leave the protocol to all, it's not incredibly important that you change it.)

The website I found from Blizz only says to change the TCP, I changed all of them.

A list of ports used by overwatch can be found here:
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/300479?utm_source=Internal-TechForum&utm_medium=Posting&utm_campaign=BlizzardCS&utm_content=solution

I personally ran into a problem where it said my web based management used port 80, so I found that setting in my router (I think under system tools) and changed it to 81, which then allowed me to add 80 to the list of open ports.
happened to me on lijiang. went from 2517 to 2486 :/
blizz plizz fix. kept kicking for inactivity.
Also, turns out blizz has been responding to our problem quite promptly. We were just in the wrong forum/thread, it seems.

Here's the link to the thread where blizzard was looking into the issue. Note the blue posts and that they have been actively working on the problem:

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20749826160?page=1
same there annoying as !@#$

specs :
a10 6700
Assus gtx 950 2gb gddr5
8gb ram
10/20/2016 06:05 AMPosted by Alowynn
Also, turns out blizz has been responding to our problem quite promptly. We were just in the wrong forum/thread, it seems.

Here's the link to the thread where blizzard was looking into the issue. Note the blue posts and that they have been actively working on the problem:

Obviously we don t have same definition of promptly and actively.

This problem occurs and has been reported since the Halloween patch, about 10 days ago. No answer from Blizzard, they finally just confirmed the issue. In the meantime it has prevented people from looting Halloween boxes, has resulted in the loss of SR, temporary bans, XP penalties and it is still going on...

I didn't play competitive for 10 days after i have been rewarded with a 75% XP penalty for 7 games :-(
It's definitely still happening, even after the patch that supposedly "fixed" the issue. I want my placement game that I lost due to this back!
10/20/2016 09:30 PMPosted by Malak
10/20/2016 06:05 AMPosted by Alowynn

This problem occurs and has been reported since the Halloween patch, about 10 days ago. No answer from Blizzard, they finally just confirmed the issue. In the meantime it has prevented people from looting Halloween boxes, has resulted in the loss of SR, temporary bans, XP penalties and it is still going on...

I didn't play competitive for 10 days after i have been rewarded with a 75% XP penalty for 7 games :-(

They came out with the patch on the 10th, this issue was found, and they came out with their first patch regarding this issue on the 15th. Is that seriously not fast enough for you? It's not Santa's workshop, man! They are programmers and game developers.

Also, did you try my fix? It's been working really well for me so far.

Try this fix:

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20749787706
10/21/2016 01:00 AMPosted by Alowynn
<span class="truncated">...</span>

They came out with the patch on the 10th, this issue was found, and they came out with their first patch regarding this issue on the 15th. Is that seriously not fast enough for you? It's not Santa's workshop, man! They are programmers and game developers.

Also, did you try my fix? It's been working really well for me so far.

Try this fix:

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20749787706

The problem with this issue, is every time you try because you installed a new patch supposed to fix it or you disabled your firewall or whatever "fix", thinking it may solve the issue then you expose yourself to XP penalty, ban and so on...

So for me, it s been 11 days and still counting I can t play competitive. I d rather wait for an official "fixed" status than loosing games, get the SR loss and be exposed to ban. It s kind of game breaking issue, for competitive at least.

Funny enough, blizzard ask players to send video when the bug happens i.e when you get kicked out from a game and exposing yourself to sanctions

Looking forward to see if Blizzard is going to offer more than their deepest apologies when the fix finally comes out though
They should give us our damn lost points back!

10/21/2016 03:45 AMPosted by Malak

Looking forward to see if Blizzard is going to offer more than their deepest apologies when the fix finally comes out though
Same problem.
bump. now on a 2hr ban and have NEVER left a competitive game for any reason other than... other leavers.

This needs a fix and i want my points (or my money) back