What is ELO hell?

General Discussion
11/01/2016 01:49 PMPosted by KeyBu
11/01/2016 01:27 PMPosted by Turmikel
To answer the other side of your question, Elo doesn't stand for anything. It's named for Arpad Elo, a smart guy best remembered for the player rating system he created for 2-player games like chess. His system has been adapted to team games like Overwatch.
If Elo isn't an acronym, why do people always capitalize it like it is?

Because they don't know the origin of the term and just regurgitate it. Usually you can tell because they refer to it as 'E L O Hell' (Eee El Oh hell), when it's pronounced Elo (Eee loh). Because so many pronounce each letter there is an assumption it's an acronym.
It's an excuse bad players who can't cooperate came up with so they don't have to take responsibility for being at the rank they are at.
11/01/2016 01:57 PMPosted by Matsy
Lol at the downvoters.
Stay in trash rank where you belong..

You're a snobby little brat, you are. Have you ever stopped to consider the possibility that there are some people who, legitimately, and on average have better stats than the rest of the players at their rank?
Lol at the downvoters.

why do you say this when youre in the same trash rank as the rest of us
11/01/2016 01:24 PMPosted by Matsy
A made up term for people who can't accept they are a low rank because that is where they belong.

Usually made up of people who say "its not my fault, my team sux"
This is the real answer.
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but what it means in most other games is "The point in which one player can't advance out of a certain rank due to their skill". Basically, it's just a term coined to describe the ranking area which players find a rather difficult time "escaping" be it due to their own skill or otherwise.

In this game, the census I've found is that "ELO Hell" (which is not accurate in Overwatch, seeing as it doesn't use the ELO system), lies between the beginning of gold, to the far end of Platinum. This is where individual performance is less likely to "Carry" a team to victory and instead relies on coordination and teamwork.
11/01/2016 02:00 PMPosted by Irres
Where the competency level of the pool of people you can group with negates your individual ability, in a team based game.
Well put.
In a game where every pick matters, ELOhell is one player away.

All it takes is one person in your group not being able to pull their weight and you'll find yourself stuck at a rank you probably don't deserve.

Solo queuing is basically an endless stream of situations like this. Kids have no sense of proportion, so they struggle to see how their 32% accuracy on McCree hurts the team compared to your 42% accuracy on McCree.
11/01/2016 01:45 PMPosted by DonSpaghetti
it's when you have challenger mechanics but your teammates are holding you back so you can't get out of bronze 5

Actually it'd be if you had Silver or even low Gold mechanics. If you had Challenger or even Platinum mechanics you'd easily carry yourself out.
11/01/2016 01:20 PMPosted by Xanikk
I don't play competitive so I'm not sure what it means. I only know it has something to do with competitive?

Does ELO stand for something?

Elo does not stand for anything. Elo is a ranking system that was created nd is named after the creator.

Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arpad_Elo

It's just a ranking system that people still use today. Most people in online gaming use it as "Elo hell" as a means of describing they are in a ranking that is beneath their skill level but are unable to get out of that ranking. That term is completely fictitious. There is no such thing as Elo hell.
11/01/2016 01:40 PMPosted by BlueBun
There is a rough spot in comp play (My guess is somewhere around 2400s) where people actually pick Heroes that work fairly well together to try to win a match.

ELO Hell is the place just below where there are some ok players, and some people are generally not the good, and pick whatever they want to play rather than help the team composition.

This happens in higher lvl matches as well, but not as common.

ie. No healers / tanks.

There are several people stuck in ELO hell who are decent players, and want to genuinely get better, but are held back because they just happened to get those couple of other teamates who are the problem. They might even be the cause themselves, but are unaware of it.

Believe it or not, this still is quite common in the higher ranks. It is the reason I was bumped out of Top 500 and Master a while back.
The best way to escape ELO hell is to play with a group of players that meet your own standards for skill and team work. Unfortunately (as even proven in the world cup) one good player is not always enough to carry an entire team especially when the team is not capable to focusing targets and working as a unit. When it comes to ELO hell, the players only care about playing the character that they want as oppose to the character that is needed. They refuse to check stats and compare with the others on who is better with which characters to decide the optimal team set up. These players are found in every tier. Yes there are less of them the higher you climb up the ladder, but the difference is still difficult to notice when partial queueing.
11/01/2016 02:05 PMPosted by Blam320
Lol at the downvoters.

You're a snobby little brat, you are. Have you ever stopped to consider the possibility that there are some people who, legitimately, and on average have better stats than the rest of the players at their rank?
Like me. I placed 1933, and went on a downward spiral playing support to teams that featured the Reinhardt that never used Firestrike, Charge, or Earthshatter, the attack Symmetra who never shielded her teammates, the Reaper who shot across streets, and the Hanzo who told me that my Lucio pick is awful because Lucio is "the worst healer". I have since partnered up with good teammates and climbed out of the high 17's into gold ranking.
11/01/2016 01:20 PMPosted by Xanikk
I don't play competitive so I'm not sure what it means. I only know it has something to do with competitive?

Does ELO stand for something?

ELO is commonly mistaken for an abbreviation, but really it's not . This misconception comes from the chess player rating system named after the Hungarian-american chess master and physics professor Árpád Élő who has been inducted to the World Chess Hall of Fame in 1988. His player rating system was the one adapted for videogames.

FUN FACT: The word "élő" means "living" in Hungarian, thus "Elo hell" literally translates to "living hell".
That magic place created by bads to make themselves feel better and use as an excuse to not living up to their own rank ego.
http://i.imgur.com/Z43iPLh.jpg
It's that place from low gold to low diamond where the teams can't cooperate and it makes each individual player have an incredibly hard time getting to a higher rank. You will find all kinds of negative players there, sometimes more than one per match, and they just can't work together, so they keep losing.
You will occasionally get decent teammates without a single negative one and win games, but your SR gain from these uncommon wins is usually negated by the SR loss for the next few defeats, making it near-impossible to climb in solo-queue. Just because you are stuck in Elo Hell, doesn't mean you're necessarily a bad player, but take a step back and think about if you're being a bad teammate and if you may be causing the problem.

To get out of Elo Hell, all I can suggest is queuing with some friends who are actually good at the game, being flexible with your hero choice, switching to counter a particularly good enemy, and if you must solo-queue then always fill instead of trying to just instalok someone you like.