Why there should be LGBT characters(pt 2)

General Discussion
Prev 1 10 11 12 17 Next
11/02/2016 06:23 PMPosted by recoveryone
"""Most people""" are not accepting of LGBT folk.

Stop forcing them to then. More you force them, more they declide to.

Nowaday you can't do anything or go anywhere without seeing LGBT advertisments everywhere. Even on a videogame like this one.
From a gay person to another (or a so called "ally"):

Please, stop. Forcing people to "represent us" will only result in cliches and stereotypes that take away from a character.

You notice how all the characters are ambiguous in their sexuality? There is a reason for that. Most people are defined by far more then who they bang. Their sexuality contributes nothing to their character. The fact remains that LGBT people are largely indistinguishable from the rest of the population in their daily lives. To make a character overtly LGBT would be almost certainly rely on stereotypes and be singling them in a game were most people are focused on the next fight.

Forcing diversity for diversities sake doesn't create interesting characters. It creates tokenism.
11/02/2016 06:17 PMPosted by DrAntagonist
Gay people are killed in some countries, as such they're unaccepted in all countries.

Women are killed in some countries, as such they're unaccepted in all countries.

People of x race/religion are killed in some countries, as such they're unaccepted in all countries.

My point is that saying gay people are universally and generally accepted is a Westernized idea, and one that is simply untrue. I live in America, we are not 100% accepted here. We aren't 100% accepted anywhere.

I am accepting of Gay/Lesbian/Bi/Trans.. what i am not accepting of is the LGBT community trying to shove it down our throats.. we get it, you are into something different, we dont need a constant reminder of what your sexual preference is.. Accept the world for what it is and dont try to force it upon others otherwise you will get the hate that you are complaining about.
11/02/2016 06:17 PMPosted by DrAntagonist
Gay people are killed in some countries, as such they're unaccepted in all countries.

Women are killed in some countries, as such they're unaccepted in all countries.

People of x race/religion are killed in some countries, as such they're unaccepted in all countries.

My point is that saying gay people are universally and generally accepted is a Westernized idea, and one that is simply untrue. I live in America, we are not 100% accepted here. We aren't 100% accepted anywhere.

You dont see me clamoring for the openly jewish hero, im sure there are plenty of neo !@#$ organizations and muslim terrorist groups around the world who want me dead, but im not going to mandate to creators to put my OC into a game or pander to me, instead, i let the designer give the traits they want to a character. If they are jewish, okay, but can identify with them as an actual person? If they are gay, but i identify with their personality, or their struggles, great, i enjoy that character, irrelevant of their sexual orientation.

I dont identify with a character because they share some sort of genetic similarity, that is pretty %^-*ing racist sounding to be honest. Not being able to identify with people who arent like you in genetic ways. I identify with characters who have actual personalities,struggles, and thoughts i can identify with.
i dont really give a !@#$ though. its %^-*ing video game characters. who cares.
11/02/2016 06:28 PMPosted by MurkyIsLife

I am accepting of Gay/Lesbian/Bi/Trans.. what i am not accepting of is the LGBT community trying to shove it down our throats.. we get it, you are into something different, we dont need a constant reminder of what your sexual preference is.. Accept the world for what it is and dont try to force it upon others otherwise you will get the hate that you are complaining about.

1) We get enough hate on the daily
2) Apparently making threads discussing representation is pushing it down straight people's throats. You didn't have to read it. Us even existing is too much for some people. God forbid we ask for the smallest bit of representation
3) We aren't "into something different" lmao. Being gay is natural and normal. Unless you think being straight is the only norm and being LGBT is abnormal and unnatural!
4) Accept homophobia? Don't strive for change or progression? Great and cool idea
11/02/2016 06:34 PMPosted by TankSpank505

You dont see me clamoring for the openly jewish hero, im sure there are plenty of neo !@#$ organizations and muslim terrorist groups around the world who want me dead, but im not going to mandate to creators to put my OC into a game or pander to me, instead, i let the designer give the traits they want to a character. If they are jewish, okay, but can identify with them as an actual person? If they are gay, but i identify with their personality, or their struggles, great, i enjoy that character, irrelevant of their sexual orientation.

I dont identify with a character because they share some sort of genetic similarity, that is pretty %^-*ing racist sounding to be honest. Not being able to identify with people who arent like you in genetic ways. I identify with characters who have actual personalities,struggles, and thoughts i can identify with.

I never said I'm unable to relate to non-LGBT characters... I can relate to characters of any identity just fine. If and when they do include some LGBT rep in Overwatch, it will not be their sexual or romantic identity that I relate to primarily but the person they are... It is just nice to see an underrepresented group be represented. That's all.
Bastion is a trans(former).
You're not going to be accepted if you force us to within a year. !@#$ like this takes time. African Americans still aren't fully accepted in the US and the civil rights movement was 50 years ago!
11/02/2016 06:40 PMPosted by BT160919
You're not going to be accepted if you force us to within a year. !@#$ like this takes time. African Americans still aren't fully accepted in the US and the civil rights movement was 50 years ago!

Who is "forcing"? All we are asking for is representation in a video game, a relatively unimportant thing but a nice thing none the less. I wanna know why that's apparently asking too much, why it's apparently too political and not allowed.

No one is expecting our problems to disappear in a year just by including gay characters in video games.. That's a ridiculous idea.
11/02/2016 06:35 PMPosted by recoveryone
11/02/2016 06:28 PMPosted by MurkyIsLife

2) Apparently making threads discussing representation is pushing it down straight people's throats. You didn't have to read it. Us even existing is too much for some people. God forbid we ask for the smallest bit of representation
3) We aren't "into something different" lmao. Being gay is natural and normal. Unless you think being straight is the only norm and being LGBT is abnormal and unnatural!
4) Accept homophobia? Don't strive for change or progression? Great and cool idea

1-2) you get enough hate daily and you choose to come into the public forums of a video game to try to push it into our vision
3) You are into something different, i like females you might not.. it does not mean im hating on your sexual preference it means that everybody is different. At this point i feel like you need to be silenced just so you learn that.
4) Why should you care what other people think? is your life directly effected by these people?. If you chose homophobic activities do they take you out the back and cut your hands off? No, they do not, this is not the 1600's.

5) Move on, you are just causing more problems.
11/02/2016 06:15 PMPosted by Belquerst
11/02/2016 06:04 PMPosted by Error37
Historically speaking, I'm pretty sure gay men and women were killed in the most brutal and barbaric ways by their straight peers well before there was such a thing as "LGBT" or "PFLAG". Well before anyone that was gay would ever, even under torture, admit to it.

Historically speaking Germans killed thousands and thousands of our people and I'm not asking anyone to remove German heroes from the game because that's how I feel it.

Can't you just enjoy the game and leave the sexuality/politics out of the game?

Of course I can. I don't care about sexuality or politics or religion when I'm playing an FPS like Overwatch. I just want to be entertained and challenged by the tactics/strategies of the game.

But it certainly is not accurate to imply that gay people only cause grief for themselves when they won't shut the heck up about being gay. Gay people have been and still are getting killed just for being who they are regardless of whether they are outspoken on gay issues or absolutely silent.

And frankly, silence is no longer a prerequisite to being gay in America. Get used to it.
Honestly , why does it matter? The only people who seem to give a !@#$ about these things arent even LGBQT people but teens just trying to satisfy their own rendition of the hero. Youre not trying to change things , you just want your ships to be cannon . You dont look at a human being and judge their character by their sexual orientation, so why do you have to constantly try to drag an answer from a company that just doesnt give a %^-* if a character is gay or not, thats why they dont bother giving one. THEYRE COOL REGARDLESS OF ALL THAT.
The characters outside of Ana will most likely NEVER EVER HAVE THEIR SEXUALITY REVEALED.
Why? Simply put because that would limit in some aspects how the player can view themselves into the character. Why do you think we have vague stories for the characters? It is so we can fill in the gaps with what we want. Yes there will be villians and heros but they are just archetypes, the rest is for the players to imagine them to be which in affect makes us bond to the characters more than we would other wise.

Also overwatch lore wise is leading up to a Talon confrontation with the new heros and the old overwatch members along with a second Omnic crisis about to start as well, so that means war is gonna happen not loving.
who would represent the pedophiles
11/02/2016 01:54 PMPosted by Trinz
11/02/2016 01:53 PMPosted by cactusberry
OP, people are just going to say the same arguments over and over, regardless of what you say.

I know, I just want to make a difference. I want people to accept LGBT characters, but I'm just so tired now

People accept it, it's just that it's not important in this game.
11/02/2016 06:46 PMPosted by MurkyIsLife
11/02/2016 06:35 PMPosted by recoveryone

1-2) you get enough hate daily and you choose to come into the public forums of a video game to try to push it into our vision
3) You are into something different, i like females you might not.. it does not mean im hating on your sexual preference it means that everybody is different. At this point i feel like you need to be silenced just so you learn that.
4) Why should you care what other people think? is your life directly effected by these people?. If you chose homophobic activities do they take you out the back and cut your hands off? No, they do not, this is not the 1600's.

Dog, I know everyone is different. I certainly don't "need to silenced", whatever that's supposed to mean, to know that. The way you originally worded it sounded homophobic.

And yeah, my life is directly affected. It's affected in how establishments in some areas have the legal right to deny me service if they knew my orientation and identity. It's affected by the fact that I can't be myself around my family and friends, that I have to be secretive bc they hate people like me and I would risk being thrown out. How my friends in other countries could be jailed or killed for being who they are.

We're allowed to talk about LGBT issues and lack of representation. Sorry if that's "shoving it down your throat" tho, we'll all just stop bringing attention to it :/ not like we're already heavily silenced by society.
There are no explicitly stated straight characters. We have mom and dad meme's, but nothing explicitly states they are straight, or at least not bi even if they do have kids or something.

Why should they explicitly state one is tbgl when they don't do so for straight or otherwise? It's senseless.

Face it, this is just a social justice escapade of attention seeking.
11/02/2016 06:55 PMPosted by recoveryone
11/02/2016 06:46 PMPosted by MurkyIsLife

Dog, I know everyone is different. I certainly don't "need to silenced", whatever that's supposed to mean, to know that. The way you originally worded it sounded homophobic.

And yeah, my life is directly affected. It's affected in how establishments in some areas have the legal right to deny me service if they knew my orientation and identity. It's affected by the fact that I can't be myself around my family and friends, that I have to be secretive bc they hate people like me and I would risk being thrown out. How my friends in other countries could be jailed or killed for being who they are.

We're allowed to talk about LGBT issues and lack of representation. Sorry if that's "shoving it down your throat" tho, we'll all just stop bringing attention to it :/ not like we're already heavily silenced by society.

Your anger is showing, You are even skipping basic words in order to get your point across.

As far as legal rights, you do have the right to not live in that area. Some places support gay marriage if that is even what you are talking about. Much much more important things in this world need to be fixed before your LGBT questions and regards.. Overwatch is not earth, not a recent earth atleast.. but it has never been established as earth.. How do you know that in there gene pool it has something that naturally stops them finding the same gender attractive? The only thing we know is that Ana gave birth, meaning that they have the same reproductive cycles as we all do. Yes it could have been a test tube baby. Yes they could just phase out a baby in there body.. we just dont know.

Being Gay Lesbian, Bi or Trans does not give you the right to complain about how the world treats you. Being Gay Lesbian Bi or Trans gives you the right to not care what others think. Just like everybody else has that right. The second you stop caring about things as SMALL as this, the second you will start to enjoy life a whole lot more.

And for that, i pity you.
Nobody needs to be represented in this game. You are not owed anything for belonging to one group of people or another.

Let's imagine that D.Va is gay. What the hell would that change about her character? It changes nothing about her.