Shower Thought: Healing only health

General Discussion
Just a thought that popped into my head while watching an Overwatch live stream. How would it affect the game if Healers were only able to restore Health only?

For example, take Mercy and Zarya. If Zarya was hit and lost her shield and some of her health, Mercy would only be able to heal to her base health instead of also recharging her shield. Same would go for the other healing supports like Lucio, Zen, and Ana. Other than that, their kits remain the same and they otherwise play the same.

This is just a random though that I had and I'm in no way saying that "OMG BLIZZ MERCY OP NEEDS NERFINGSKLJLDKSHG:HKSLDJGLFJ:JS:HGLGDH:LS:" Or anything lke that.

Im just wondering how the game would be changed if this was implemented. Like alternate history.

What are your thoughts?
That's something interesting but that could hurt some character like zenyatta and symmetra.
would needlessly throw game balance in a blender
Imo it would kinda ruin healers. Being limited to healing a certain amount of a chars hp would pretty much screw every tank over. Reinhardt and dva would just be butchered hard by it
11/02/2016 06:05 PMPosted by Juya
That's something interesting but that could hurt some character like zenyatta and symmetra.

Funny thing, as I was writing this I wondered if Symmetra could recharge the shields if they were depleted with that fancy 3-D printer gun of her's.
If this were a possible change, I think one of the main things that would be change is the way Harmony Orb works. I would probably end up having global range and would stay on said target until they died. It would probably have a better healing output too, so it would be a nice thing to have for Genji/Reaper if they decided to go off somewhere on their own.

In the end of the day, I think they heal abilities would get a slight buff if this was a thing, but not by so much. Over buffing healing output would probably do some weird stuff to the meta.
Would be weird but its an interesting idea that would throw a wrench in things. For most characters it doesn't really change much the the tanks and a few shield characters would feel this hurt and would prob need mechanic changes. D'va's the one who would be most affected since she's mostly comprised of armor health.

For Armor Heroes the armor stat would need to be buffed up since it wont be able to be healed. Torb could get his armor pack changed to give players 50 armor and any characters with armor values, completely restore all armor health and give 50 armor on top.

For Shield Heros, shield healing should be changed from a 3s delay to a 1s delay before recharge.

It would be a massive change but it could be interesting.
D.Va would be completely unviable.
This is how the game worked in Beta. It was very confusing for healers and also very frustrating for both healers and wounded heroes.
Mercy is no where near OP, if anyone watched the World Cup you would see no one picked mercy, the top teams avoided mercy like the plague, mercy is trash and needs a buff
It would be hell imo
It would be terrible. Simply, terrible.
Quick, someone have a shower thought about something that matters.
11/02/2016 06:37 PMPosted by Quasi
Mercy is no where near OP, if anyone watched the World Cup you would see no one picked mercy, the top teams avoided mercy like the plague, mercy is trash and needs a buff

Mercy is buffed on the PTR. Go try her out.

Also, I remember seeing her picked in the World Cup. I forget which teams were playing but I remember a clutch res on Eichenwalde's first point.
Shower Thought: Make D.Va Worthless

FTFY

Symmetra, Zarya and Zenyatta would also take massive hits to their viability since they'd be at the mercy of waiting for their shields to regen.

Sounds like this mechanic would just confuse healers and perpetuate balancing problems rather than doing anything to make the game more fun or interesting.

Also, I remember seeing her picked in the World Cup. I forget which teams were playing but I remember a clutch res on Eichenwalde's first point.

Thanks for the buffs! I remember one match like that too, but having the same memory problem.

I have always felt like mercy can be strong in right hands, and she can really be a deal breaker at some moments.

EDIT: Guess I messed this post and nerfed Jeff's blue post
11/02/2016 06:40 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

I do remember seeing her as well. While Mercy perhaps deserves further looking into, I am liking the idea of faster health regen a lot.

Zenyatta was also picked rarely, but he is by no means a bad character.

Considering PTR changes, I think you guys are doing really well in terms of balance so far. I say this as someone who's consistently complained and left feedback about game balance since I can remember.

Now you just need to keep the ball rolling, both in terms of content and balance. :D
As Kaplan said, it overcomplicates healing mechanics.

Ask the mechanical/biological hellbat from Starcraft 2 how it can be healed... or Bastion.
11/02/2016 06:40 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

I think it's muselks team
11/02/2016 06:03 PMPosted by animefighter
Just a thought that popped into my head while watching an Overwatch live stream. How would it affect the game if Healers were only able to restore Health only?

For example, take Mercy and Zarya. If Zarya was hit and lost her shield and some of her health, Mercy would only be able to heal to her base health instead of also recharging her shield. Same would go for the other healing supports like Lucio, Zen, and Ana. Other than that, their kits remain the same and they otherwise play the same.

This is just a random though that I had and I'm in no way saying that "OMG BLIZZ MERCY OP NEEDS NERFINGSKLJLDKSHG:HKSLDJGLFJ:JS:HGLGDH:LS:" Or anything lke that.

Im just wondering how the game would be changed if this was implemented. Like alternate history.

What are your thoughts?
Bastion would be even more dead than he is now because a 3rd of his hp bar is armor which his selfheal won't be able to repair.