Anyone Else Dissapointed With How PTR Was Handled?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 12 Next
11/11/2016 10:35 AMPosted by WitnessMe
Honestly I know they said they were going to get wild, but I don't think that would be advisable. Because if you add some stupid half-baked mechanic only to realize it's terrible, people will demand it back forever and ever and ever.

you do what you do with people who ask for bastion shield
you pretend them and anything they say doesn't exist
Defense heroes could be more powerful in defending. Like Junkrat should be able to put out 3 Traps, and his plantable bomb should have lower throw range, but bigger explosion.

Torbjörn should have faster Armor charging. He could actually be viable as an off support if he had much faster armor charging.

Bastion should replace his healing with a speed mode.
Or if you wanna keep his healing, make it also affect the area around him, making him a Defense support.

Make Mei's freeze blaster heal allies. Nerf her damage perhaps in return, or just replace the icicle with the healing spray. Again, Defense support.

Hm, im gonna make a blog about this...
11/11/2016 10:57 AMPosted by SnakeNox
Defense heroes could be more powerful in defending. Like Junkrat should be able to put out 3 Traps, and his plantable bomb should have lower throw range, but bigger explosion.

Torbjörn should have faster Armor charging. He could actually be viable as an off support if he had much faster armor charging.

Or if you wanna keep his healing, make it also affect the area around him, making him a Defense support.

Make Mei's freeze blaster heal allies. Nerf her damage perhaps in return, or just replace the icicle with the healing spray. Again, Defense support.

Mei doesn't need a buff. But otherwise yeah. They need to actually show the defense heroes some love
11/11/2016 11:14 AMPosted by Trigglypuff

Mei doesn't need a buff. But otherwise yeah. They need to actually show the defense heroes some love

I know, thats why I meantioned they either reduce her damage, or just remove the Icicle completely and replace it with a healing version of her blaster. A Mei who cannot headshot people, and instead heal allies and protect them with walls instead of focusing on damage, I think people would hate her less then.

While I agree Defense heroes need a buff, your ideas are terrible. You're demanding they turn defense heroes into support heroes which defies their supposed use as point and crowd controllers.
11/11/2016 11:30 AMPosted by RobotSquid

While I agree Defense heroes need a buff, your ideas are terrible. You're demanding they turn defense heroes into support heroes which defies their supposed use as point and crowd controllers.

But I mean come on, Widow and Hanzo are already Offense heroes at this point!
Mei is used as much on Offense as she is on defense.
Wouldnt my ideas kinda still make them viable on Defense? They would be Defensive Support heroes. Wouldnt that be awesome? :D
11/11/2016 11:30 AMPosted by RobotSquid

Wouldnt my ideas kinda still make them viable on Defense? They would just compete with fewer heroes for the spots.

But then you'd completely shut out support heroes from the game. Why play Mercy when Mei pretty much has the same "healing beam" but can immobilize targets as well? And Bastion could just constantly heal ans his teammates crowd around him.
11/11/2016 08:50 AMPosted by Trigglypuff
How long will this PTR last?

They will drop the changes and sombra to live between seasons.
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/5c16h4/geoff_goodman_lead_designer_qa_blizzcon_2016/
11/11/2016 09:40 AMPosted by Kei
11/11/2016 09:23 AMPosted by Trigglypuff
Honestly I expected so much more

I agreed. I meant, they can try to change or fix D.va crap critbox, fix Widow's !@#$ grapple autoaim, fix Roadhog's hook, fix Hanzo's scatter arrow or giving E ability to Mercy. Why they won't do that pretty simple things to do with? Honestly, I'm braindead about that PTR changes now. Maybe something is holding them up from doing that real fix in PTR.

All the stuff you mentioned isn't 'simple' from a technical point of view. I have a bit of experience working with different game engines, 3D and stuff. Escpecially something like Roadhogs or Widows hook is NOT something that is fixed easily. It probably even took a lot of effort to implement those things in the first place. Changing abilities or giving characters new ones are also much more complicated and need a lot of time instead of 'just' changing some numbers on health, damage and so on.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Wouldnt my ideas kinda still make them viable on Defense? They would just compete with fewer heroes for the spots.

But then you'd completely shut out support heroes from the game. Why play Mercy when Mei pretty much has the same "healing beam" but can immobilize targets as well? And Bastion could just constantly heal ans his teammates crowd around him.

Mei's healing would be much weaker. Say Mei heals for the same amount that she does damage to an enemy with the blaster.
Also, remember that while Mei can still freeze people, she cannot headshot anymore, which kinda makes Meis damage very weak, and she cant really kill anyone by herself anymore.

Also, Mercy can rez?
11/11/2016 11:54 AMPosted by SnakeNox

Mei's healing would be much weaker. Say Mei heals for the same amount that she does damage to an enemy with the blaster.
Also, remember that while Mei can still freeze people, she cannot headshot anymore, which kinda makes Meis damage very weak, and she cant really kill anyone by herself anymore.

Also, Mercy can rez?

Mei's damage isn't too far from Mercy's healing. Also, Mercy can res, but she's still barely used in the meta.
Some of the changes were much bigger than other changes, but nearly everything was more significant than things we've on the in the past. I wanted to make it clear that the sky wasn't falling and we're just going to to try some things to see what works.

That said, to my surprise, basically everything worked out even better than I had hoped. At this point it looks like most or all of the changes are going to make it to live after all.

We do have plans for a follow-up patch to catch any serious bugs or balance issues that come up, so we'll be able to respond quickly with any necessary changes.
Highly Rated
11/11/2016 12:04 PMPosted by Geoff Goodman
Some of the changes were much bigger than other changes, but nearly everything was more significant than things we've on the in the past. I wanted to make it clear that the sky wasn't falling and we're just going to to try some things to see what works.

That said, to my surprise, basically everything worked out even better than I had hoped. At this point it looks like most or all of the changes are going to make it to live after all.

We do have plans for a follow-up patch to catch any serious bugs or balance issues that come up, so we'll be able to respond quickly with any necessary changes.

Thanks for the PTR update!
Highly Rated
Can't wait for that 1HL quick play, I have been looking forward to it for a long time
Does that mean live soon? Please say yes.
Hope it hits live this Tuesday! Can't wait to play all the new content!
11/11/2016 08:58 AMPosted by Trigglypuff
11/11/2016 08:55 AMPosted by Shadow
PTR is not a random testing ground - that is what their internal testing is for.
PTR is simply balance changes for the upcoming season 3.

They have no plans of radical changes as it will effect competitive players heavily if drastic changes happen.

They also don't need to test half baked ideas of forum users - as they have enough common sense to know what exactly would happen if some of these ideas were tried.

As for more sensible ideas - they likely tried in internal and found an issue.
Read their sticky post about this PTR, it was clear that this PTR was to be used for extreme changes that probably won't go live. The whole point of this PTR was to let US test the ideas, instead of them internally

People misinterpert things quite easily.
The major changes deal with new game modes and maps - not drastic character changes.

In so many Dev videos it has been said numerous times they do not want to hurt competitive mode by constantly making drastic changes with balance. As it would require pro players readjust to changes or force them to learn a new character.

Drastic changes are only when they feel because of the new Meta the character no longer fits in the roster. Otherwise it will always be minor tweaks to maintain balance.
Hope that means 1H QP and No Limit arcade is staying.
WOAH...I GOT A BLUE RESPONSE. OH MY GOD SOMEONE AODNAJQNCAIDCIJ QUACK

EDIT: Sorry...lost my cool haha
11/11/2016 12:13 PMPosted by Matsy
Hope that means 1H QP and No Limit arcade is staying.
pretty sure it's safe to assume that all of the changes made in PTR will port over the Live, based on his reply