What is Mei's actual age?

General Discussion
11/08/2016 02:21 PMPosted by CaptainRad
11/08/2016 02:03 PMPosted by Blues1990
she definitely doesn't seem to appear to be in her 30's.

Mercy doesn't look 37 and Ana doesn't look 60. I'm absolutely willing to believe that Mei is physically 31 years old. Let's not forget that this is the future, when people's lifespans have increased somewhat and they therefore look younger than they would if the game were set in our time.

Yes but Mercy used her nano technology on herself for the suit so she doesn't age. If you have Mei and Mercy they'll sometimes comment that neither of them have aged.
The Overwatch universe is a weird place.
Then everything changed when the Omnics attacked
10 years has passed and overwatch discovered a new avatar named Mei.
The timeline of this game gets worse and worse.

Also, Overwatch takes place 42 years in the future of modern time. Sure, there's a load of fantasy, but from how the timeline puts it, child prodigies of this era are your average citizen of Overwatch's world.

I get they want to have people in Overwatch who are at the top of their league and such, but surely not everybody was exceptional?

Mei was a scientist and on important work by 21.
Mercy was a top surgeon and created her own Tech by 20.
Jack was such a substantial Solder that he was thrown in the Super Soldier program at 18/19.
Tobjorn was considered the greatest Engineer in the world at 27.
Ana was #1 sniper in the world in her early 30's.
Tracer was an ace pilot worthy of recognition.
Sombra is a revolutionary hacker from being a child.
Symmetra is a prodigy amongst Hardlight construction.
D.Va is the "best Starcraft 2 player" and a national celebrity/Mecha Ace at 19.

Not everybody needs to be amazing. Reinhardt for example was literally taken on the strike team likely because he was the sole surviving Crusader. There's no saying he was better than his squadron or leader, simply he was the last one left amongst the Elite. He's not special outside of surviving Eichenwalde.
11/09/2016 02:07 PMPosted by mrCK

Also, Overwatch takes place 42 years in the future of modern time. Sure, there's a load of fantasy, but from how the timeline puts it, child prodigies of this era are your average citizen of Overwatch's world.

I get they want to have people in Overwatch who are at the top of their league and such, but surely not everybody was exceptional?

Mei was a scientist and on important work by 21.
Mercy was a top surgeon and created her own Tech by 20.
Jack was such a substantial Solder that he was thrown in the Super Soldier program at 18/19.
Tobjorn was considered the greatest Engineer in the world at 27.
Ana was #1 sniper in the world in her early 30's.
Tracer was an ace pilot worthy of recognition.
Sombra is a revolutionary hacker from being a child.
Symmetra is a prodigy amongst Hardlight construction.
D.Va is the "best Starcraft 2 player" and a national celebrity/Mecha Ace at 19.

Not everybody needs to be amazing. Reinhardt for example was literally taken on the strike team likely because he was the sole surviving Crusader. There's no saying he was better than his squadron or leader, simply he was the last one left amongst the Elite. He's not special outside of surviving Eichenwalde.

You brought up a good point with Reinhardt's survival in Eichenwalde. Wasn't the story being that all the crusaders (at least the ones during that battle) didn't make it out alive? Also, they never did specify if Reinhardt was part of that squadron, no?
I think Reinhardt wasn't there because he was at Overwatch.
11/08/2016 02:03 PMPosted by Blues1990
So, according to Mei's bio on the Overwatch website, it says she is 31 years old. But given that it's confirmed that she's been on ice for a decade, she definitely doesn't seem to appear to be in her 30's. So is she physically 21, but chronologically 31? Or is it 31/41?

I answer your question with another, why in the world do you need to know?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
11/09/2016 02:07 PMPosted by mrCK

It makes sense, even by todays standards. You have special forces programs that most people could never get into even if they trained all of their life. Hell, you can't do much to get into the NBA or in the NBA if you aren't freakishly tall. Also technology really does boost some heroes like Tracer, Reinhardt, D.VA, Mei and Symmetra further than their own abilities.
I think it's more realistic for a leading climatologist to be 31. She wouldn't even have gotten out of college at 21. Also, you say she doesn't look 31, but you forget she's Asian. They keep looking young for A while.
I promise I don't only respond to hero age-related posts.

Mei's age on the website (31) is her apparent/biological age, not chronological. It does not include the amount of time she spent in cryostasis.
11/11/2016 08:14 AMPosted by Michael Chu

Mei's age on the website (31) is her apparent/biological age, not chronological. It does not include the amount of time she spent in cryostasis.

How old are you

Use this post to surrogate like or dislike the blue post.

What is the chronological one?
11/11/2016 08:19 AMPosted by TDC

What is the chronological one?

wasn't she stuck in it like 10 years?
So that means she was about 30 when she got frozen into cryo-stasis ...she didn't age for 10 years and she's been out for about a year probably ...so she's actually 41 which would seem plausible but she still looks and her body functions like she's 31.
11/11/2016 08:16 AMPosted by ohluke

How old are you
Upvote for making me laugh.

What about D.Va? Is 19 her Korean or International age?
Eco point Antarctica description says "nearly a decade"
So chronologically 40 or 41 probably.
11/11/2016 08:29 AMPosted by Kwannon

What about D.Va? Is 19 her Korean or International age?

I get it.

I know that some heroes are older than we thought, but this just makes me think how old is Mercy and Tracer chronologically?