Sombra's Opportunist a little too good

PTR Bug Report
Just wanted to toss this out: Sombra's "opportunist" passive seems a little too good. Especially for tanks whose job it is to take damage, are frequently at reduced health and have lots of hit points, Sombra's ability can kick in at 300 or 250 hit points. This doesn't sound too opportunistic and more like getting a free wall hack.

My suggestion: 40%, not 50%. So most heroes won't get on Sombra's radar until they're at 80 hp or below. And make the whole thing "40% or 150 hp, which ever is less" so tanks will have to be at 150 before they show up in Sombra Opportunist ability.

I'm just noticing that it's really easy to get a tank on Sombra's radar and then follow everything they do, even when the tank still has a fair amount of HP remaining. Feels a bit more fair to our beleaguered tanks that they be given a bit more leeway before Sombra can hunt them down.
Agreed, I would prefer not to use percentage values, I would rather use something like "below 125 hp".
Do you know when every character gasps for air and edges of the screen turns red every time their health goes below a certain threshold? Why not use that critical health threshold as a way to let the player know when sombra can and will see you with her opportunist ability. Sombra seeing you below 50% health is too much leeway for her team to take advantage of.
IMO that passive is little bit over the top .. she should not have this passive .. like she has AOE silence, single target silence, stealth, she can block health packs for enemies, she has UZI with 76's range .. the opportunist passive is too much
11/08/2016 11:24 AMPosted by Gojira
Just wanted to toss this out: Sombra's "opportunist" passive seems a little too good. Especially for tanks whose job it is to take damage, are frequently at reduced health and have lots of hit points, Sombra's ability can kick in at 300 or 250 hit points. This doesn't sound too opportunistic and more like getting a free wall hack.

My suggestion: 40%, not 50%. So most heroes won't get on Sombra's radar until they're at 80 hp or below. And make the whole thing "40% or 150 hp, which ever is less" so tanks will have to be at 150 before they show up in Sombra Opportunist ability.

I'm just noticing that it's really easy to get a tank on Sombra's radar and then follow everything they do, even when the tank still has a fair amount of HP remaining. Feels a bit more fair to our beleaguered tanks that they be given a bit more leeway before Sombra can hunt them down.

It might not be as easy as you think to code different threshold values for each character/class and not break the game. I agree, that maybe in its current itteration, Sombra's passive might be perceived as being "a little too strong". Keep in mid that sombra has a very high skill cap and as such not that easy to use by everyone effectively. Sombra has her counters. She is not immune to game mechanics. Maybe just bad players. If anything, having a passive like sombra's around may force players to lean on their teamates a little more for support (this IS a team game after all) so you dont get picked off when you stray a little too far from the pack at low health. And if you do, and get taken out, thats your fualt. In which case, Sombra is the least of your problems. If an observant Sombra knows that a tank will appear on radar around ~300hp. I bet they are not actively seeking out the tank for a solo kill without a good idea how to do it. So its not that big of an opposing threat like you would think. That tank will most likely be backed by a Mercy, Zenyatta, Lucio, etc so that ~300hp will quickly be a thing of the past. dont sweet it. good teams will have a way to counter this "wall hack" as you put it.
Im not happy with this passive in general, because its just another cheat mechanic, something im against. Same as widow/hanzo wallhack or soldiers aim ultimate.
i would actually prefer the old version which is %50 as i can see who is low on health and finish them off this is almost like handing over the widow ultimate to sombra as a passive LUL
Sombra's opportunist isn't a team-wide ability like Hanzo's Sonic arrow and Widowmakers infra-red sight. This ability is only for Sombra to see, making the whole thing a lot less powerful.

You've got to keep in mind that Sombra doesn't do a million HP per second like some other DPS in the same general category. This buff will shift Sombra's purpose from overal DPS (Being comparable to the likes of Tracer and Genji), to something more along the lines of something brand new. If Sombra doesn't get this buff in, then she'll be on the same level as tracer and genji when it comes to awareness and game sense, just with a lot less DPS. So they're buffing something no other DPS has (consistently).

Though the "under 100%" might be a bit over the top. I'd make it around 75%, but I'm not a professional game balancer, so I wouldn't know. I'm just speaking from experience (*Humble brag* 240 hours 3600sr)
02/14/2018 01:29 PMPosted by Questron
Sombra's opportunist isn't a team-wide ability like Hanzo's Sonic arrow and Widowmakers infra-red sight. This ability is only for Sombra to see, making the whole thing a lot less powerful.

You've got to keep in mind that Sombra doesn't do a million HP per second like some other DPS in the same general category. This buff will shift Sombra's purpose from overal DPS (Being comparable to the likes of Tracer and Genji), to something more along the lines of something brand new. If Sombra doesn't get this buff in, then she'll be on the same level as tracer and genji when it comes to awareness and game sense, just with a lot less DPS. So they're buffing something no other DPS has (consistently).

Though the "under 100%" might be a bit over the top. I'd make it around 75%, but I'm not a professional game balancer, so I wouldn't know. I'm just speaking from experience (*Humble brag* 240 hours 3600sr)

Except when you just use your passive ability to tell your other teamates where people are hiding or have retreated to. Sombra being able to see anyone who has taken 1 dmg through walls is incredibly OP, and I will be ASTONISHED if Blizzard put that to live.
02/14/2018 02:11 PMPosted by DjNaste

Except when you just use your passive ability to tell your other teamates where people are hiding or have retreated to. Sombra being able to see anyone who has taken 1 dmg through walls is incredibly OP, and I will be ASTONISHED if Blizzard put that to live.

I completely agree with that. 100% is too high, as I said in the post. I'd say 65 - 75% would be a good place for it to be.

Also, you're severely overestimating the communication that's happening. The amount of things happening to people during a time frame of about ~10 seconds is WAY too much to relay to your team consistently.
11/08/2016 02:36 PMPosted by Daejang
Do you know when every character gasps for air and edges of the screen turns red every time their health goes below a certain threshold? Why not use that critical health threshold as a way to let the player know when sombra can and will see you with her opportunist ability. Sombra seeing you below 50% health is too much leeway for her team to take advantage of.

Im sorry but what my boi? sombra is one of the lowest played heros, and they buff opportunist, BECAUSE SHE NEEDS IT dude. like make it 100 percent below, and have healthbars, because sombra's point was to be an infiltrator who takes out key targets etc. sombra got pushed into support because her stats were awful. fucc outta here with that "shes op" bull!@#$ my boi. please, consider before you talk about an offmeta like her. no offense but srsly, learn about a char before saying some %^-* is op.
11/08/2016 09:55 PMPosted by nCode
11/08/2016 11:24 AMPosted by Gojira

It might not be as easy as you think to code different threshold values for each character/class and not break the game. I agree, that maybe in its current itteration, Sombra's passive might be perceived as being "a little too strong". Keep in mid that sombra has a very high skill cap and as such not that easy to use by everyone effectively. Sombra has her counters. She is not immune to game mechanics. Maybe just bad players. If anything, having a passive like sombra's around may force players to lean on their teamates a little more for support (this IS a team game after all) so you dont get picked off when you stray a little too far from the pack at low health. And if you do, and get taken out, thats your fualt. In which case, Sombra is the least of your problems. If an observant Sombra knows that a tank will appear on radar around ~300hp. I bet they are not actively seeking out the tank for a solo kill without a good idea how to do it. So its not that big of an opposing threat like you would think. That tank will most likely be backed by a Mercy, Zenyatta, Lucio, etc so that ~300hp will quickly be a thing of the past. dont sweet it. good teams will have a way to counter this "wall hack" as you put it.

People aren't worried about her killing things, they are worried that wallhacks for most of the enemy team will be up for most of a match. As a Sombra main I am HERE for buffs and this rework, but I am invested in taking the time to see if these wallhacks are as perpetual as they seem to be. They might be a nonfactor in ordinary games, but in high level matches knowing where people are is extremely critical.
I feel like this is really OP for highly coordinated teams, but to me this feels more like a nerf. I used Opportunist the way it should be used.

Locate a low health target and take them out quickly.

This just really conflicts with how Sombra is turning into an assassin-esque hero, and renders Widow's ultimate even more useless. Ironic how this would've suited Sombra's playstyle better pre-buff than it does right now.