Blizzard make 3v3 Rated/Competitive

General Discussion
1 2 3 18 Next
Highly Rated
02/15/2017 10:31 AMPosted by FATPANDA
3v3 is so bad, all you have to do is pic Mei, Soldier, and Roadhog

Easy fix...When a hero is picked it will be blacked out for 2 rounds.

Round 1:Mei, Soldier, Hog selected.
Round 2: Mei, soldier, hog are Blacked out. DVA, Mercy,Rein Selected.
Round 3: Mei, Soldier, Hog, DVA, Mercy,Rein are Blacked out. Mcree, Zen, Genji selected.
If there is a Draw Round 4 : Mcree, Zen, Genji, DVA, Mercy,Rein Blocked out.

Here is a link to a 3v3 Tournament that went on February 16th 2017, Prize Pool is $10,000
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/122662110

Like i said in my other thread, this game has taken it to the next level with adding 1v1 and 3v3. I have been playing games for decades and this truly can be something special and push into the eSports world. Blizzard i just wanted to say thanks! Now lets get to business, you have to make 3v3 Rated/Competitive, this has so much potential.

Here are a few suggestions i would have to the rated 3v3 scene, Remember people of the Forums this is for Competitive 3v3 not the arcade quick play 3v3.

- Add 1-2 healthpacks to the map. This will make teams fight over certain points of the map. This should allow more fights to happen instead of people sitting in spawn/running all game. Maybe the health packs spawn at certain times of the match like every 2 mins or so.

- When a game is started have something push the Heros out of the spawn, No one wants to play against spawn campers.

- Make an observer mode and have a option like WoW where it is 3rd person View, this helps the viewer understand what is going on around the players.

Here is the Blue Post we got!
11/15/2016 08:53 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We're certainly open-minded about adding a more competitive structure to 3v3 (or 1v1 for that matter). We did not want to start there though because we believe the new modes and map will require some iteration before they are ready for a competitive structure. We're keeping a very close eye on how these modes evolve and we will make changes to keep them healthy and to continue to grow them.

To address some of your requests more specifically, the map actually does have health packs. But through our playtesting we decided to disable them (with the thought that eventually in Custom Game you can re-enable them someday). The health packs created a very weird meta game that involved a lot of running/kiting and territory control. We tried them with their normal respawn time and we also tried them never respawning. Eventually, we just removed them altogether because we felt that the purity of the match outweighed the evolving strategies that revolved around health pack control. Also, the matches dragged out more...

As for picks and bans, I am personally not a fan of this type of system. If the meta settles down into static picks always, we have other solutions. But picks and bans cause a lot of issues that we'd like to avoid. Plus pick and ban phases add a lot of time to the rounds. I'm not saying we'll never do picks and bans, but what I am saying is that we would rather explore other options first.
Lets bump this to get the HYPE going!
11/10/2016 11:59 PMPosted by jams

Like i said in my other thread, this game has taken it to the next level with adding 1v1 and 3v3. I have been playing games for decades and this truly can be something special and push into the eSports world. Blizzard i just wanted to say thanks! Now lets get to business, you have to make 3v3 Rated/Competitive, this has so much potential.

Here are a few suggestions i would have to the rated 3v3 scene.
Remember people of the Forums this is for Competitive 3v3 not the arcade quick play 3v3.

- Pick and Ban phase like LoL, using one games method is not all bad, 2-3 bans per team. This will allow teams to ban certain "OP" Heros and allows for a team to be more strategic.

- Add 1-2 healthpacks to the map. This will make teams fight over certain points of the map. This should allow more fights to happen instead of people sitting in spawn/running all game. Maybe the health packs spawn at certain times of the match like every 2 mins or so.

- When game time is running out instead of just calling it a Draw have like "Black Smoke" come and force players into the center of the map. If they stay in the "black smoke" they take dmg. This will force players to stop running around trying to delay the game into a draw.
- Look at the way Battlerites games end
- Look at H1Z1 King of the Hill PSN Gas
This just helps end games in a competitive way and we get to see some fighting, everyone loves this. This is by far the most important feature to add. This also make it so teams can't camp in some corner all game!!!NO ONE WANTS TO FIGHT A TEAM OF REIN,BASTION, AND MERCY CAMPING IN THE SPAWN. Black smoke will force them to move.

- When a game is started have something push the Heros out of the spawn, No one wants to play against spawn campers.

- Make an observer mode and have a option like WoW where it is 3rd person View, this helps the viewer understand what is going on around the players.
yeah destiny pretty much did the same thing and that was their competitive mode its fun too
Highly Rated
I agree with everything except for the health packs.
They said that if the modes will be popular they will make them ranked.
11/11/2016 01:01 AMPosted by Drazzerien
I agree with everything except for the health packs.

Thanks for the reply, im honestly 50/50 about the health packs because in competitive play you will have a supp player or you defiantly should have one.
11/11/2016 01:04 AMPosted by TDC
They said that if the modes will be popular they will make them ranked.

Yes i read that somewhere I'm just posting to show the Hype is real about 3v3 competitive. Its always the most popular on arcade mode.
I agree with the OP. I'd much rather play 3v3 than what we've had for the last couple of months. This is much less stale.

Mei Roadhogg Zarya
Don't see myself playing any other combination of 3 heroes with my sibling and our bud. Such potential to !@#$-stomp without 3 other unknown variables (teammates). The fact that you don't need a traditional comp to play this mode is the most appealing part. Synergy is a factor, but picking very strong individual kits will be fantastic.

Mei cryofreeze to self heal. Ice wall to block an enemy retreat or ensure your own. Primary to freeze anyone close and secondary for that headshot game.

Roadhogg to self heal. Hook for picks and the stun/interrupt. Primary melee combo anything up on you. Secondary to help zone and burn through any/all shields.

Zarya for self regenerating shield. Her bubbles are extremely useful in this situation. Better than trying to spike heal someone! Damage boost lets her damage scale. Primary is hard to miss, albeit short ranged. Secondary is good for out of range and/or fleeing targets.

This team lacks hitscan, but I really doubt a pharah will have enough impact on such a small map. All it takes is one hook, a couple secondary shots from the Roadhogg or Mei.
11/11/2016 01:28 AMPosted by socks

This team lacks hitscan, but I really doubt a pharah will have enough impact on such a small map. All it takes is one hook, a couple secondary shots from the Roadhogg or Mei.

Pharah + Mercy you know ;-) I ve already seen that and it works better than I expected. Remember Mercy can shoot people too it needed.

Still... current Roadhog seems a bit OP for this 3 vs 3 mode maybe?
11/11/2016 01:32 AMPosted by lumSais
11/11/2016 01:28 AMPosted by socks

Pharah + Mercy you know ;-) I ve already seen that and it works better than I expected. Remember Mercy can shoot people too it needed.

Its going to take some teamwork to take him down, but he is a tank class. As i wrote above the pick and ban phase can really be useful here. Getting rid of those so called "OP" Heros.

Yes one hero might get perma banned but that is not unusual in eSports.
11/11/2016 01:36 AMPosted by jams
11/11/2016 01:32 AMPosted by lumSais

Its going to take some teamwork to take him down, but he is a tank class. As i wrote above the pick and ban phase can really be useful here. Getting rid of those so called "OP" Heros.

Are we going to have to go through a pick and ban phase every round? it works in games like DotA and LoL because the games are so long. Having to do that every 2 minutes will make it feel like we're picking and banning more than playing.
11/11/2016 02:02 AMPosted by Amory2113
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Are we going to have to go through a pick and ban phase every round? it works in games like DotA and LoL because the games are so long. Having to do that every 2 minutes will make it feel like we're picking and banning more than playing.

Pick and Ban Phase would not be too long i mean come on.

20 secs for 4 bans = 80 secs
Hero pick 20 secs = 2 mins

That's if everyone waited last second to pick and ban. Its not that bad and has a more strategy feel to it.

If you don't like the competitive side then just stick to the normal arcade 3v3
BUMP for the HYPE!!!
Oh my god, no. It would just turn into "competitive mode featuring only heroes with good sustain"

Even if you banned Roadhog, Mei, and Zarya, it would just turn into the next three heroes with sustain.

It's fine as casual. I don't like the idea of a competitive mode where only a handful of heroes are viable.
I don't like the idea of a competitive mode where only a handful of heroes are viable.
The other game modes have the same problem though...?
BUMP for the HYPE!!!
HYPE!!
LETS GO!
Quit bumping. I don't want them to be ranked because then focus is going to be taken away from the game mode that actually matters and what the game was built around, because people decided they don't know how to play an objective based game mode.
11/11/2016 07:29 PMPosted by Orlandez
Quit bumping. I don't want them to be ranked because then focus is going to be taken away from the game mode that actually matters and what the game was built around, because people decided they don't know how to play an objective based game mode.

its 2016 we deserve more game play. Players shouldn't be force to just play the 6v6 mode, which the new Arcane 3v3 has changed that. It has been truly Amazing so far, i just think they hit the Jackpot with it and can make it even bigger.

Don't get me wrong i understand that the 6v6 OBJ based is the main focus and takes extreme coordination and teamwork, and will probably do good for OverWatch League. Not everyone can just quit there day jobs and grind out endless games. Having 1v1 and 3v3 makes it easier for people to get a group and go.

Having 1v1 and 3v3 a ranked/competitive mode can not hurt the game in any way. It will bring back so many people that left the game because of the 6v6 system. I'm telling you this could be Huge for Overwatch and Blizzard, they have the power to make OW above all Shooters right now.