Blizzard make 3v3 Rated/Competitive

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 18 Next
Sorry, it's stupid and it won't happen.
And biggest part of heroes will garbage in this mode.
As Mercy - without flights

Pls no competitive mode for this map.
I don't know if ranked is necessary, at least not right away, but I really do like the black smoke idea. I really don't think there should be health packs, though.

If the put the black smoke in, there would be no need to funnel people to a certain point (like fighting over packs). It would happen naturally with the smoke ring.

I agree with you, though, 3v3 is TONS of fun.
11/11/2016 07:57 PMPosted by hamletswords
I don't know if ranked is necessary, at least not right away, but I really do like the black smoke idea. I really don't think there should be health packs, though.

If the put the black smoke in, there would be no need to funnel people to a certain point (like fighting over packs). It would happen naturally with the smoke ring.

I agree with you, though, 3v3 is TONS of fun.

Thanks for the honest opinion!

I truly think the "Black Smoke" idea is a must add, im sure blizzard can come up with a better name for it then "Black Smoke". Look around OW Lore and see if there is any AoE dmg.

Just to be Honest if they added 3v3 Ranked/Competitive i would never touch the 6v6 ever again. I stopped playing OW since day 1 of Season 2 because of the 6v6 OBJ based game. I came back just because 3v3 was announced at Blizzcon. I bet I'm not the only one that out there, hell i bet there is a lot that came back just for the 3v3.

The only way Blizzard keeps me playing this game is if 3v3 becomes ranked, its the truth.
HYPE TRAIN!
BUMP FOR THE HYPE TRAIN!!!
Let see what other think.
Come on Blizz lets get a Blue Post!

xD
We're certainly open-minded about adding a more competitive structure to 3v3 (or 1v1 for that matter). We did not want to start there though because we believe the new modes and map will require some iteration before they are ready for a competitive structure. We're keeping a very close eye on how these modes evolve and we will make changes to keep them healthy and to continue to grow them.

To address some of your requests more specifically, the map actually does have health packs. But through our playtesting we decided to disable them (with the thought that eventually in Custom Game you can re-enable them someday). The health packs created a very weird meta game that involved a lot of running/kiting and territory control. We tried them with their normal respawn time and we also tried them never respawning. Eventually, we just removed them altogether because we felt that the purity of the match outweighed the evolving strategies that revolved around health pack control. Also, the matches dragged out more...

As for picks and bans, I am personally not a fan of this type of system. If the meta settles down into static picks always, we have other solutions. But picks and bans cause a lot of issues that we'd like to avoid. Plus pick and ban phases add a lot of time to the rounds. I'm not saying we'll never do picks and bans, but what I am saying is that we would rather explore other options first.
Thanks for the reply Jeff, good to know you guys are considering it eventually.
I second this. 3v3 is a ton of fun and I can definitely see it becoming a competitive option due to the "battle arena" aspect being so different from our current option.
11/15/2016 08:53 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We're certainly open-minded about adding a more competitive structure to 3v3 (or 1v1 for that matter). We did not want to start there though because we believe the new modes and map will require some iteration before they are ready for a competitive structure. We're keeping a very close eye on how these modes evolve and we will make changes to keep them healthy and to continue to grow them.

To address some of your requests more specifically, the map actually does have health packs. But through our playtesting we decided to disable them (with the thought that eventually in Custom Game you can re-enable them someday). The health packs created a very weird meta game that involved a lot of running/kiting and territory control. We tried them with their normal respawn time and we also tried them never respawning. Eventually, we just removed them altogether because we felt that the purity of the match outweighed the evolving strategies that revolved around health pack control. Also, the matches dragged out more...

As for picks and bans, I am personally not a fan of this type of system. If the meta settles down into static picks always, we have other solutions. But picks and bans cause a lot of issues that we'd like to avoid. Plus pick and ban phases add a lot of time to the rounds. I'm not saying we'll never do picks and bans, but what I am saying is that we would rather explore other options first.

yay! @_@

Thank you Jeffrey. Let's keep it this way.

dont know if you guys tried, but how about having a single big health pack at each teams spawn. This health pack would be usable only once and it would only be usable by the team whose spawning point it is.

Any player who wants to heal is penalized by having him leave the battle and walk all the way back to the point.

Keep up the good work and thanks for a wonderful game
Couldn't random Health Pack Respawns in different areas of the map, with timers on them solve the issue? As in the health packs respawn in random locations on the map and only stay up for about lets say 30 seconds, then appear somewhere else? Currently it seems that heroes that have the ability to heal themselves have a huge advantage. For example, roadhog from my experience is one of the best picks. He has best pick potential and can heal himself.
11/15/2016 09:14 AMPosted by Heroic
Couldn't random Health Pack Respawns in different areas of the map, with timers on them solve the issue? As in the health packs respawn in random locations on the map and only stay up for about lets say 30 seconds, then appear somewhere else? Currently it seems that heroes that have the ability to heal themselves have a huge advantage. For example, roadhog from my experience is one of the best picks. He has best pick potential and can heal himself.

Instead of winning because of map knowledge, you’d win because of being lucky. Every game would be “whoever finds the random health pack first wins.”
I think the first thing you're going to want is like 2 more maps or so.

Though I do agree with the black smoke thing, but I have another idea for how this could work. After a minute or so, a capture point could appear in the middle of the stage, similar to KOTH, and if you cap it, you win the round. It would cap really slow, but it's one way to force teams to fight and not just hide.

It actually might be interesting if characters also eventually respawned (but really slow, probably 30-45 seconds or so), and to win you either cap the point or kill everyone. The main issue I'm seeing right now is the first kill usually wins, I feel like this might make things a bit more dynamic.

woo!
What are picks and bans?

Also, I like that it doesn't have health packs, makes the whole thing so much more tense and different from the regular game.
11/15/2016 09:33 AMPosted by lucid
What are picks and bans?

Ban = suspension from being able to access the game.

Pick = the hero you play as in a game.