Why nerf leveling?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
11/14/2016 05:40 PMPosted by Geminus
They didn't like how people would wait to prestige right before events, choosing not to play so they would get a bunch of Loot Boxes quickly when the event dropped.

Also, with the addition of the Arcade, which can net you up to NINE free loot boxes per week, they needed to limit the Loot Boxes people get normally.

Wait, nine? I thought it was 3 per week and then a loot box or two whenever you won a new match type(s) they added to the arcade?
Overall, the EXP change should be a benefit to the player base. Had this change been in effect for the Halloween Terror event we would have given out MORE loot boxes. More players would have gotten more stuff...

This change has nothing to do with a desire on our part to drive more or less interest in loot box sales. This change is to prevent players from binge behavior or halting play... and to prevent players who are not close to prestiging from feeling like they somehow missed out on "bonus" items. This change exists to add levity to the leveling experience.

We want you playing Overwatch or not playing Overwatch when you want/don't want to. That's the entire reason for this change... nothing else.
Highly Rated
^^
what a legend
I'm glad you occasionally respond to the community, but what about fixing D.va's critical box?
11/14/2016 06:45 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Overall, the EXP change should be a benefit to the player base. Had this change been in effect for the Halloween Terror event we would have given out MORE loot boxes. More players would have gotten more stuff...

This change has nothing to do with a desire on our part to drive more or less interest in loot box sales. This change is to prevent players from binge behavior or halting play... and to prevent players who are not close to prestiging from feeling like they somehow missed out on "bonus" items. This change exists to add levity to the leveling experience.

We want you playing Overwatch or not playing Overwatch when you want/don't want to. That's the entire reason for this change... nothing else.

Will the new experience curve reduce existing levels since the overall prestige tier has more experience required?

Keeping it classy, Jeff.

Right now, sitting at 473, it certainly will make getting my fifth star easier. Then, onto trying to earn that silver portrait!
11/14/2016 06:47 PMPosted by Redacted

Will the new experience curve reduce existing levels since the overall prestige tier has more experience required?

IIRC the math shows it ends up being slightly (very slightly) less for each 100 levels after the first prestige. Overall it is meant to keep the leveling time commitment close to what it is today. I can't seem to find the post about it (maybe it was on the PTR bug forum) that had the real numbers.

Thanks for the quick reply. Could you give an update which changes from the PTR will make it to live?
11/14/2016 06:50 PMPosted by kmalloc
IIRC the math shows it ends up being slightly (very slightly) less for each 100 levels after the first prestige. Overall it is meant to keep the leveling time commitment close to what it is today. I can't seem to find the post about it (maybe it was on the PTR bug forum) that had the real numbers.

math and i made an agreement a long time ago to just stay away from each other. It was a healthy decision. I'll put faith in those with higher brain function. :)
11/14/2016 06:50 PMPosted by kmalloc
I can't seem to find the post about it (maybe it was on the PTR bug forum) that had the real numbers.
I'm not going to bother to look but I believe it's roughly 8000 less per 100 levels.
I'm surprised we got a blue post about this, and I guess I can believe this had nothing to be with loot box sells. I just hope leveling up doesn't become a grind now.
Whoever was the artist for the Halloween sprays.
Please bring that person back.
Those sprays, for once, felt rewarding to get because the art was adorable.
Bring him back for the Christmas event, kid OW members opening their toys.
Mandatory Dva as Nintendo 64 kid but with a new pc or star craft.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20749677573?page=1

Please...............click on it. Say that something'll be done or you'll attempt to work on it or something. It's been a whole month and about a week. There's a bunch of people who want this fixed waiting for a response as well as I have. =/
I'm in agreement with the leveling changes.

Though not intended, I did end up around level 98-99 about 2 days before the Halloween event.

My plan was never to stop playing until the event, but once it was confirmed I did indeed feel that I would be "losing" Halloween boxes by continuing play over those days.

I stopped playing because I would have gotten less boxes during the event. I didn't plan it, but it certainly didn't feel great.
11/14/2016 07:05 PMPosted by Calen
I'm surprised we got a blue post about this, and I guess I can believe this had nothing to be with loot box sells. I just hope leveling up doesn't become a grind now.

I think it is going to be.
Overall, the EXP change should be a benefit to the player base.

Sure it is.

Had this change been in effect for the Halloween Terror event we would have given out MORE loot boxes.

I'd really like to know how this is possible.

I know that the only reason I got as much as I did, was because I got lucky and prestiged in the first week of the event. I did not occur to me that prestiging during the event would give me a better opportunity at getting the Mercy's Witch skin and Mei's highlight intro, until I made it to like level 98/99.

Not everyone has the time or want to put in the hundreds of hours it would take to get 3000+ coins or a bunch of loot boxes, and not everyone wants to spend money on cosmetic stuff... especially since we already paid for the game. I'm all for more cosmetic stuff, but when a quarter of it of it is behind a timed paywall, that's not fun.

Why the fuk did you not think about this bevore events went live?
Overall, the EXP change should be a benefit to the player base.

Sure it is.

Had this change been in effect for the Halloween Terror event we would have given out MORE loot boxes.

I'd really like to know how this is possible.

I know that the only reason I got as much as I did, was because I got lucky and prestiged in the first week of the event. I did not occur to me that prestiging during the event would give me a better opportunity at getting the Mercy's Witch skin and Mei's highlight intro, until I made it to like level 98/99.

Not everyone has the time or want to put in the hundreds of hours it would take to get 3000+ coins or a bunch of loot boxes, and not everyone wants to spend money on cosmetic stuff... especially since we already paid for the game. I'm all for more cosmetic stuff, but when a quarter of it of it is behind a timed paywall, that's not fun.

Probably because 1 to 22 is a lot less of a gap then 23-100. Which means there's going to be a higher % of players in that 23-100 gap who will now be gaining levels a match earlier. This adds up over the 3 weeks of an event, across 15+ million players. So yes, it's very possible.

11/14/2016 07:24 PMPosted by IconCharlie
11/14/2016 07:05 PMPosted by Calen

I think it is going to be.

Can people not use their brains or something? How is requiring 2000 less EXP per leveling going to make it a grind? Math evens out to 8000 less exp overall.