Pharah's lift increased by %35

General Discussion
Latest PTR change (yesterday)
Source:
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20749857162

What do we think of this? I don't play a ton of Pharah, but I don't think this a buff in the right direction. Sure, getting her higher into the air can potentially get her out of optimal range of 76 or McCree, but she's still a clay pigeon hovering in the sky with no cover.

In my opinion she needs to be able to move faster while feathering her jets, or a quicker way to descend.
It's MUCH better than it wasy before lift changes. Anyway she still need some mobility changes.
It gives her more vertical mobility, which is always nice. She really does feel much better to control, and can stay in the air almost indefinitely now. She'll always be hard countered by McCree and Widowmaker who can burst her down in a heartbeat, and there isn't much she can do against that unless we somehow get a flying Reinhardt.
It actually feels pretty great. Now you bob up and down all the time while in flight, so you're somewhat harder to hit.
I like it and feel she doesnt need more mobility. She's not Tracer and doesnt need, or should, be able to zip around the map. She has hard counters and will ALWAYS have hard counters. Either get better with her as is or move on to someone else.

I swear people sometimes confuse "give her a slight buff" with "make her invincible to her counters".
One of the major benefits of this change is the ability to use vertical cover now. Meaning you can poke/bob up just over a short wall or a ledge and fire shots while remaining much more safe than before.
11/09/2016 10:43 AMPosted by Geoff Goodman
One of the major benefits of this change is the ability to use vertical cover now. Meaning you can poke/bob up just over a short wall or a ledge and fire shots while remaining much more safe than before.

Could you potentially test a movespeed buff while in midair? Just a suggestion.
11/09/2016 10:38 AMPosted by Rangrok
unless we somehow get a flying Reinhardt.

Genius! They should rework Zarya's team shield to work like this:
It lasts indefinitely, or for like 20 seconds, and give it an hp value. Then not allow it to charge her energy level and buff her personal shield's energy generation.
Boom, flying reinhardt shield.
Also the cooldown on it doesn't restart until the shield breaks.

I love you.
I feel like her jets should of been like this since the beginning.
11/09/2016 10:45 AMPosted by SuperFajita

Movespeed buffs would make hitscan even more necessary against her, not the best idea.
As a Pharah main, this is nice... as is the reduced knockback and increased splash damage. There are so many times you shoot a hopping Lucio from afar, and he has next to no health, but the rocket hits right below his lollerskates... and he keeps hopping to freedom. Now that problem is solved. On the other hand, there are even more times you use your jump jets to attempt a speedy exit (or to look over something and pop off a rocket), only to become bait in the eyes of Dad76, McRee, Hog, Zenn, etc all ready to kill you in the blink of an eye. Pharah was supposed to be the offensive air superiority, when in reality that was previously Dva. So, this should be a VERY exciting buff that I'm eagerly awaiting implementation into the actual game outside PTR.
Pharah can now potentially spend the entire match in the air, which creates a lot of new counterpicks. Pharah is now an exceptional counter for characters like Mei or Reaper, while still being easy to counter with mid-range hitscan characters. I like it.
11/09/2016 11:18 AMPosted by agoedmaker
11/09/2016 10:45 AMPosted by SuperFajita

Movespeed buffs would make hitscan even more necessary against her, not the best idea.

That's the point.

The problem here is that Pharah is too easy of a target for any average or above McCree. As it stands right now, playing Pharah above Platinum when the enemy has a McCree main is impossible, unless you're pocketed by a Mercy constantly.
11/09/2016 11:26 AMPosted by Phirestar
<span class="truncated">...</span>

That's the point.

The problem here is that Pharah is too easy of a target for any average or above McCree. As it stands right now, playing Pharah above Platinum when the enemy has a McCree main is impossible, unless you're pocketed by a Mercy constantly.

Justice rains....AAUUUUUUGGGGGGGGH!
As it is projectile based units have a hard time hitting a moving Pharah. Giving her more horizontal mobility would make her nearly invulnerable.

The only way to balance a move speed buff is either to drop her health - or cause her to fall from the sky and take fall damage if a projectile based weapon hits her.
11/09/2016 11:27 AMPosted by Shadow
As it is projectile based units have a hard time hitting a moving Pharah. Giving her more horizontal mobility would make her nearly invulnerable.

The only way to balance a move speed buff is either to drop her health - or cause her to fall from the sky and take fall damage if a projectile based weapon hits her.

The only projectile unit that this should impact all that much is Mei. Junkrat should always be at a disadvantage against Pharah, anyways.

Soldier and McCree exist for a reason.
11/09/2016 11:25 AMPosted by RYBATYPE
As a Pharah main, this is nice... as is the reduced knockback and increased splash damage.

I actually forgot about this. Indirect rocket damage buffs are nice since everything is airborne from jumping %90 of the time.

Thanks for replying. Like I said I don't have much time on Pharah, so it's possible I'm not using her properly and haven't learned the best spots to lift off and when to drop. Good players with map awareness will benefit from this change more than I would
11/09/2016 11:30 AMPosted by Phirestar

Soldier and McCree exist for a reason.

The problem is you can't have a unit that can only be countered by 2.
Any unit should be able to counter any unit - but some units are better counters.

A increase mobility would heavily disrupt that balance in pharahs favor. Where it may almost always be required. - just to combat her, which is not a balance solution. Which is why if mobility is added - a negative should be added to counter balance.

11/09/2016 11:29 AMPosted by Mindslay

The only projectile unit that this should impact all that much is Mei. Junkrat should always be at a disadvantage against Pharah, anyways.

Junk Ratis at a disadvantage at range.
But if the Pharah gets to cocky and gets hit by one of Junk Rats grenades - that is user error and the game shouldn't compensate players for it - instead should be punishing. So even Junk rats grenades should knock her down.