Sombra is weak, Troll, And not ever Pickable

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
In the high ranks the meta is Known, talking about SR 2900+ to 3600 and probably above, heres how it looks like

DPS :
Genji : Main hero
McCree : Main hero
Pharah : Situational
Reaper : Main hero
Soldier: 76 : Recently, Main hero
Tracer : Main hero

Defense :

Bastion : Situational
Hanzo : Situational but most people prefer not to have him
Junkrat : People would rather to take any of the DPS above, includes me
Mei : Situational
Torbjörn : A Troll, that doesn't work in 95% of situations
Widowmaker : A Troll as well, there are couple good widows over there tho

And for the rest of the list, they're all pickable & situational
Tank

D.Va
Reinhardt
Roadhog
Winston
Winston
Zarya

Support

Ana
Lúcio
Mercy
Symmetra
Zenyatta

All pickable, not Symm tho

Lets talk about SOMBRA

Sombra is placed in the DPS Category but sombra is

1- Very weak DPS
Look at the DPS Category above and their Ults, Each ult can do a Team-Kill if done right, this is not the case in sombra

2- She can't fill the gap
your team has only 6 members, most teams go 2 Tanks and 2 support and 2 DPS, its the standard balanced team, If you're going to pick sombra in your team you're removing either 1 DPS, Support, or Tank, and she WILL NOT Fill the role of that hero, There's no way you can compare a reaper, a zarya, a tracer, a rein and what they do to the team for SOMBRA
3- Hacking health packs ??!?!
That moment when your entire team is on the payload delivering it on overtime & Struggling, you die in a team fight, then you look at your sombra in your team, as your entire team is fighting on the payload, sombra is flanking the enemy and hacking their .... "Health Pack", as they have 2 healers, pointless. totally

4- Sombra isn't a DPS, a Tank, or support
She has her own things to do, just how Symm works, nope not even, Symm at least has a teleporter that supports the team

TLDR : Sombra currently is in the troll Category, along with Torb & Symm
Note : This is my view on Sombra's situation as someone who played Competitive Season 2 for 320 hours and over 1.5k Matches

If you think im wrong feel free to convince me otherwise, i'm really curious about what people think about Sombra
You can't designate 5 heroes as "main hero", that makes the designation irrelevant since you called ~all of them "main", when they're all situational, with Soldier being the most versatile and fitting pretty much any situation adequately

In terms of your Sombra analysis:

1) Literally not true at all, you can drop any (with the exception of the ones that have Armor) hero with a single clip if your accuracy is adequate, either Roadhog or Tracer doesn't matter

2) Tracer was already almost never used in championships (https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2016-11-14-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-overwatch-world-cup-edition)

She has the best ultimate by far and unlike other ults - this one has no counters, so in coordinated play it's much more valuable than say a Reapers Q, cause when Anna doesn't suck (and she's always picked at high level) she'll just put you to sleep

3) Healthpack hack is incredibly important, if your team utilizes that you can get 5000+ heal per round and deny a lot of heal to the opponent.

Sombra can outheal Zenyatta in certain maps, especially king of the hill maps

Sure she's not 100% pick rate potential by any means, but in plenty situations she's kind of the top pick
11/20/2016 11:55 PMPosted by HraughR
You can't designate 5 heroes as "main hero", that makes the designation irrelevant since you called ~all of them "main", when they're all situational, with Soldier being the most versatile and fitting pretty much any situation adequately

In terms of your Sombra analysis:

1) Literally not true at all, you can drop any (with the exception of the ones that have Armor) hero with a single clip if your accuracy is adequate, either Roadhog or Tracer doesn't matter

2) Tracer was already almost never used in championships (https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2016-11-14-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-overwatch-world-cup-edition)

She has the best ultimate by far and unlike other ults - this one has no counters, so in coordinated play it's much more valuable than say a Reapers Q, cause when Anna doesn't suck (and she's always picked at high level) she'll just put you to sleep

3) Healthpack hack is incredibly important, if your team utilizes that you can get 5000+ heal per round and deny a lot of heal to the opponent.

Sombra can outheal Zenyatta in certain maps, especially king of the hill maps

Sure she's not 100% pick rate potential by any means, but in plenty situations she's kind of the top pick

Don't misunderstand me, with "main hero" I meant a "reliable" hero that can solo- carry the team if he's good enough, perfectly fills the DPS role
There is no "Troll Category" you're just bad at those heroes, and are trying to force your bias onto everyone else.
Sombra is an offense-support hybrid. Like Symmetra defense-support hybrid.

As to picking - people just need time to figure out some strategies with Sombra. It doesn't happen so fast.
11/21/2016 12:10 AMPosted by Calen
There is no "Troll Category" you're just bad at those heroes, and are trying to force your bias onto everyone else.

He didn't say they are troll at all levels, he is just talking about 2900 to 3600
11/21/2016 12:18 AMPosted by Millirious
11/21/2016 12:10 AMPosted by Calen

He didn't say they are troll at all levels, he is just talking about 2900 to 3600

I dunno man. Torbjorn is pretty good now
11/21/2016 12:14 AMPosted by Jinxed

As to picking - people just need time to figure out some strategies with Sombra. It doesn't happen so fast.

Compairing sombra to symmetra doesn't speak well to her viablity. If anything it shows hybrid role characters dont work well or at least blizzard doesnt know how because the other example that sticks in my mind is the hybrid flanker-tank in D.va. (Admittedly shes finally getting on par with the other tanks but this is after several rounds of buffs the other two haven't recieved yet.)
Feels bad to say because I think Sombra is a cool character but you're right sombra doesn't fit in any current team comp if there are other options. In a team fight the only thing dat has an impact is her ult.
Unless someone is an absolute God with sombra.
Sombra reminds me of Mercy, she compltely relies on her team to be viable, though sombra relies on her team more than mercy i feel, if people arent using the healthpacks or killing the hacked/emp'd people, than sombra is basically useless
11/21/2016 12:21 AMPosted by Float
11/21/2016 12:18 AMPosted by Millirious

I dunno man. Torbjorn is pretty good now

Yup!
11/20/2016 11:41 PMPosted by Kalkz
In the high ranks the meta is Known, talking about SR 2900+ to 3600 and probably above, heres how it looks like

DPS :
Genji : Main hero
McCree : Main hero
Pharah : Situational
Reaper : Main hero
Soldier: 76 : Recently, Main hero
Tracer : Main hero

Defense :

Bastion : Situational
Hanzo : Situational but most people prefer not to have him
Junkrat : People would rather to take any of the DPS above, includes me
Mei : Situational
Torbjörn : A Troll, that doesn't work in 95% of situations
Widowmaker : A Troll as well, there are couple good widows over there tho

And for the rest of the list, they're all pickable & situational
Tank

D.Va
Reinhardt
Roadhog
Winston
Winston
Zarya

Support

Ana
Lúcio
Mercy
Symmetra
Zenyatta

All pickable, not Symm tho

Lets talk about SOMBRA

Sombra is placed in the DPS Category but sombra is

1- Very weak DPS
Look at the DPS Category above and their Ults, Each ult can do a Team-Kill if done right, this is not the case in sombra

2- She can't fill the gap
your team has only 6 members, most teams go 2 Tanks and 2 support and 2 DPS, its the standard balanced team, If you're going to pick sombra in your team you're removing either 1 DPS, Support, or Tank, and she WILL NOT Fill the role of that hero, There's no way you can compare a reaper, a zarya, a tracer, a rein and what they do to the team for SOMBRA
3- Hacking health packs ??!?!
That moment when your entire team is on the payload delivering it on overtime & Struggling, you die in a team fight, then you look at your sombra in your team, as your entire team is fighting on the payload, sombra is flanking the enemy and hacking their .... "Health Pack", as they have 2 healers, pointless. totally

4- Sombra isn't a DPS, a Tank, or support
She has her own things to do, just how Symm works, nope not even, Symm at least has a teleporter that supports the team

TLDR : Sombra currently is in the troll Category, along with Torb & Symm

Jesus, it's been a week...give people some time!

and like others have said..Torbjorn is actually pretty good!

Points for having Winston listed twice, though!
Counting quickplay and competitive matches you have an astonishing 31 seconds played of Sombra. I'd like to hear how you came up with all of these details without literally ever trying her out in a real match.

Also you only talked about her hack on healthpacks while on specifically attacking on a payload map and didn't even bring up the fact that enemies can't use hackedpacks.

I don't care how many hours you have in comp play or what rank you are, you are being completely biased by purposly not mentioning things she is good at, like ulting away an entire Lucio ult or causing a Rein not to block or a Roadhog not to heal/hook.

Actually play the character before you !@#$ on her entirely Mr. 320CompHours because if you don't it just makes you looks stupid.
Sombra is a support/offense hybrid, like Sym is a support/defense hybrid.

Also, Sombra brutally punishes a team without effective healers.
11/21/2016 02:01 AMPosted by Saelon
Counting quickplay and competitive matches you have an astonishing 31 seconds played of Sombra. I'd like to hear how you came up with all of these details without literally ever trying her out in a real match.

Also you only talked about her hack on healthpacks while on specifically attacking on a payload map and didn't even bring up the fact that enemies can't use hackedpacks.

I don't care how many hours you have in comp play or what rank you are, you are being completely biased by purposly not mentioning things she is good at, like ulting away an entire Lucio ult or causing a Rein not to block or a Roadhog not to heal/hook.

Actually play the character before you !@#$ on her entirely Mr. 320CompHours because if you don't it just makes you looks stupid.

I played her 5 hours on my other account on PC, calm down lolz
Give it time, that's what they said about Ana.
11/21/2016 01:06 AMPosted by AsukaLangley
11/21/2016 12:14 AMPosted by Jinxed

Compairing sombra to symmetra doesn't speak well to her viablity. If anything it shows hybrid role characters dont work well or at least blizzard doesnt know how because the other example that sticks in my mind is the hybrid flanker-tank in D.va. (Admittedly shes finally getting on par with the other tanks but this is after several rounds of buffs the other two haven't recieved yet.)

No. Hybrid is common in the game, and works effectively. Roadhog is hybrid dps and tank. Zarya is hybrid support/tank/dps. Sombra is effective. She's picked professionally, and will stay being picked professionally unless she's nerfed. Watch pro players, not a single one will state that Sombra is "weak".

What I agree with though, when it comes to this thread is that Sombra is difficult to be effective on when it comes to pub games. As her potential comes from team coordination, which is not usual in the average game.
A good Sombra is a pain in the !@#. The medicpacks hacked does more damage than you think. And she can kill most of no tanky heroes when come out from invisibility since the first shots will take him by surprise and, mostly, on the head.

Also on the mid of a battle, some hacked heroes become useless or get $%^ naked (like Rein, road, Mei... Mercy too, but you dont need hack her to kill her easy haha)
Just increase her damage by roughly 10%, instant hack healthpacks when she uses them or walks over them at full health and reduce the time on her right click. All of these changes combined would EASILY make her a much better pick while not making her feeling overpowered.

The healthpack thing is more useful than people think it is while leading up to a huge push. Sadly in some situations on a final push when it comes down to a fast 6v6 fight full of ults it's rare one is used anyways.

Either way reduced time on her hack would change her playstyle by a decent amount as her focus would be to both assassinate and give her a unique style of play while harassing healers. Currently it's much too slow to make a huge impact in a fight making her feel much weaker than she should.

Also her overall damage is very underwhelming. Although keep in mind how thin the line is to her becoming MUCH too powerful due to her ability to see players below 50% health through terrain. If you buff her damage by even slightly too much these forums will look slightly different in comparison to now D: