Why the new arcade reward system needs a change!

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
12/02/2016 01:08 PMPosted by ATastyFire
12/02/2016 12:00 PMPosted by MisterShadow
I want to get the loot boxes, but my dear friends, I'm not going to spend 10 hours only to win 1 game. In percentage, I only win 10% of the arcade games I play (Excluding 1v1).

I'm not even mad, that's amazing.

XD
It's sad, but truth hurts...
Some players just don't know how to team-play ;(
12/02/2016 12:00 PMPosted by MisterShadow
you don't simply implement a system which forces you to win in order to enjoy it,

You're not 'forced' to win. You're incentivized to keep playing until you win enough games to get the loot boxes. That way, there's still traffic in the Arcade mode.

Besides that - why are you playing Overwatch if not to win? I have fun playing different characters and goofing off in Arcade mode, but I'm always at least trying to help win the game.
Its a good thing that you only get the lootboxes for a win and here is why.

Players who only wanted the lootboxes would just not play to their best. I bet some players would even get killed on purpose for faster loot.
12/02/2016 01:26 PMPosted by HeavenlySky
Its a good thing that you only get the lootboxes for a win and here is why.

Players who only wanted the lootboxes would just not play to their best. I bet some players would even get killed on purpose for faster loot.

That is a good point, but the thing is right now, players who only want to play arcade for the loot boxes, play really well and try hard, but like I've said in many replies already, it is hard to say that playing your best is gonna make you win, team-play is a very big part in the arcade gamemode, and 1v1 is just not that fun as 3v3...
The reason we use "wins" rather than "games played" as a criteria is to help curb deviant behavior from becoming prolific.
Highly Rated
12/02/2016 01:34 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
The reason we use "wins" rather than "games played" as a criteria is to help curb deviant behavior from becoming prolific.

Yeah, thanks for the comment Jeff.
Like I said, using games played is not the only way to solve this problem.
I had an idea as well as some others to make the arcade system instead of only wins, kind of like the quest system in HOTS.

Only instead of the quests refreshing every day, they will refresh every week, with every quest giving you 1 loot box.

Abviously quests such as play x games as y should not be included for the reason you have stated... But for example 1 quest is to win 3 games, one quest is for example get 10000 healing while playing arcade, or eliminate a total of 15 players in 3v3 mode. These could ease the experience for casual players, that could then focus on doing these quests, and not always having to fail only because sometimes you get bad teams...
Would you guys consider changing it or do you think it is here to stay?

Perfectly said.

I still think though the loot boxes seem less valuable than before. 9 wins for 3 boxes is way too easy. Maybe 1 loot box for 5 wins seems fair.
Seriously? Winning 9 games in Arcade a week is a PAIN for you guys? Jesus christ.

Next week on the forum: Why don't I get free lootboxes for starting up the game?
12/02/2016 01:38 PMPosted by Darsidian
Would you guys consider changing it or do you think it is here to stay?

Yep, well said.

You can check the comment before where I replied to what Jeff said, that could kind of solve the problem, as one suggestion...
I actually love the arcades and know that there may be some games I don't win but you still get some XP, right? I think it is a great incentive, as does the dev team obviously :)

All in all, arcade has made the game a lot more enjoyable and might even make me a better player as I have been using a lot of different heroes for the different modes.

Thanks, Blizz, for the great additions to an already wonderful game.

-GLHF
12/02/2016 01:40 PMPosted by CrissRiot
Seriously? Winning 9 games in Arcade a week is a PAIN for you guys? Jesus christ.
It's not about it being hard, more that you are at the mercy of your teammates in game modes that are not taken seriously by the people who want to be there outside of the loot boxes. If you're a good duelist I guess that goes out the window... I know I'm not.
12/02/2016 01:40 PMPosted by MisterShadow
You can check the comment before where I replied to what Jeff said, that could kind of solve the problem, as one suggestion...
Those seem like some good jumping off points at least!
Jeff is correct.

If it wasn't based on wins, what would prevent me from joining a game and just spamming crouch on the point until the game is over and then collect my free loot boxes? Rewards should require work, not just a simple time investment.

That aside, I play the arcade because it's fun. The rewards are just a bonus for me.
12/02/2016 01:42 PMPosted by Darsidian
12/02/2016 01:40 PMPosted by CrissRiot
It's not about it being hard, more that you are at the mercy of your teammates in game modes that are not taken seriously by the people who want to be there outside of the loot boxes. If you're a good duelist I guess that goes out the window... I know I'm not.

Yeah I strongly agree with you on everything you've said so far.
I get matched too much with players who don't take the game seriously... The fights in arcade are quick anyway, and sometimes, it just hurts to know that you are gonna lose anyway, and have to play (waste) 3-5 minutes with a bad team, and do that untill you find a good team. That is currently the biggest problem with arcade for me...
Maybe put in a pity system. Like, I don't know, it takes 15 points per lootbox. A "win" is 5 points, a loss is 1. The deviant tactics freaks would have to spend ages losing to get 15 points.

I mean, I don't need this since I win most of my 3v3s. Heck even winning half wouldn't be so bad since they're like 5 min matches. But if it's gunna be this whole THING for people then sure, why not, whatever it takes to keep the queue time high.
12/02/2016 01:48 PMPosted by Greylight
Maybe put in a pity system. Like, I don't know, it takes 15 points per lootbox. A "win" is 5 points, a loss is 1. The deviant tactics freaks would have to spend ages losing to get 15 points.

I mean, I don't need this since I win most of my 3v3s. Heck even winning half wouldn't be so bad since they're like 5 min matches. But if it's gunna be this whole THING for people then sure, why not, whatever it takes to keep the queue time high.

Also a pretty great way to make the arcade mode more enjoyable for casual players. All the suggestions so far are great, and I hope the dev team sees them and does something.

Arcade should be for more casual players, and shouldn't be only based on tryharding and trying to forcefully win...
Is jus loot box?

No way should we be rewarded just for showing up!
12/02/2016 01:38 PMPosted by MisterShadow

Yeah, thanks for the comment Jeff.
Like I said, using games played is not the only way to solve this problem.
I had an idea as well as some others to make the arcade system instead of only wins, kind of like the quest system in HOTS.

Only instead of the quests refreshing every day, they will refresh every week, with every quest giving you 1 loot box.

Abviously quests such as play x games as y should not be included for the reason you have stated... But for example 1 quest is to win 3 games, one quest is for example get 10000 healing while playing arcade, or eliminate a total of 15 players in 3v3 mode. These could ease the experience for casual players, that could then focus on doing these quests, and not always having to fail only because sometimes you get bad teams...

You're completely missing Jeff's point, and with a lot of misplaced scorn, too. How is what you're proposing different than using "games played"? Instead of people just idling about not caring about the objectives, that would actively encourage people to disregard the actual game to farm for lootboxes.

People will form group to achieve those objectives, and those that just wanted to have fun and get caught in between be damned. You'll get people just walking towards their friends in the other team so they can get the "15 kills quest", Junkrat that keeps bombing themselves in a corner so that their buddies can get the "healing quest". It can already be seen with some achievements, and you want more of that?

Any objectives other than "play the damn game" is superfluous, and would only hurt the gameplay experience. Lootboxes are just goodies: as soon as you play in the optic of earning them, is when the game will become a bore. And really, 9 games in a week? Come on, champ, you can do it.