Patching Console and PC seperately

General Discussion
What ever happened to this? I can't even recall the last time there was any variation between the latest PC patch versus console patch.

I understand that PC is the primary platform and trust me, if it were in the budget that's where I would be playing. However, since there are a lot of console players and there are clearly different pain points between platforms, why has console just been getting the same updates? Seems pretty lazy and somewhat disingenuous of the devs since I recall that was what was planned.

Additionally, I feel like I have run into people using keyboard and mouse which amounts to cheating in my mind. Has there been any effort to address that or is that more of a Microsoft/Sony problem?
Sony and microsoft both allow keyboard and mouse adapters. It isnt cheating because they are still held to the same limits that the controllers are by the game engine and the !@#$ty aiming system blizzard built for this game on console .

What console players really need to understand is that Overwatch going to console was one of the few PC games that was then ported to console from a AAA developer. They know this isnt a console game and it isnt going to hang around so why spend a bunch of time and resources on it when PC has the far larger community, they dont have to certify patches and can push them out whenever, and is where the Esport scene is.

This is how PC players feel with Call of Duty, all 5 of them. This is coming from someone who until overwatch has really only played shooters on console
If you can afford a $500 game console you can afford a $500 desktop that will run games just fine (and most likely better than your console).
12/05/2016 03:01 PMPosted by CriticalCody
If you can afford a $500 game console you can afford a $500 desktop that will run games just fine (and most likely better than your console).

A 500 dollar desktop will become inferior much quicker then a 500 dollar console, however I paid only 249 for Xbox one so...
12/05/2016 03:00 PMPosted by NightKnight
Sony and microsoft both allow keyboard and mouse adapters. It isnt cheating because they are still held to the same limits that the controllers are by the game engine and the !@#$ty aiming system blizzard built for this game on console .

This is news to me. As I understand it the keyboard and mouse adapters have aim assist compensation which can easily be exploited. I know there really isn't much in the way of regulating that anyway but it still strikes me as unfair.
"Overwatch" on the XBox ONE is so much fun I don't even feel the need to try and talk down to people on other platforms.

Blizzard seem to have done a top drawer job with every platform and I'm glad I've been enjoying the ride since day 1.

Thanks for informing me what I can afford. Can you tell me what else is in my budget and can afford?

I swear do people have any common sense these days?

What console players really need to understand is that Overwatch going to console was one of the few PC games that was then ported to console from a AAA developer. They know this isnt a console game and it isnt going to hang around so why spend a bunch of time and resources on it when PC has the far larger community, they dont have to certify patches and can push them out whenever, and is where the Esport scene is.

This is how PC players feel with Call of Duty, all 5 of them. This is coming from someone who until overwatch has really only played shooters on console

Looks like consoles outsold pc so theres that

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=overwatch&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200
12/05/2016 03:04 PMPosted by Raphael

A 500 dollar desktop will become inferior much quicker then a 500 dollar console, however I paid only 249 for Xbox one so...
So you didn't buy it at release so unfair to the argument lets bring up how consoles last as long as they do because game developers for consoles are limited to that consoles performance. There is a reason only after 2 years of PS4 and XBONE they are coming out with more powerful systems.
12/05/2016 03:09 PMPosted by ETR

Thanks for informing me what I can afford. Can you tell me what else is in my budget and can afford?

I swear do people have any common sense these days?
An attitude aperently. =/
12/05/2016 03:09 PMPosted by Azrael008uk
"Overwatch" on the XBox ONE is so much fun I don't even feel the need to try and talk down to people on other platforms.

Blizzard seem to have done a top drawer job with every platform and I'm glad I've been enjoying the ride since day 1.

I enjoy Overwatch on console and am certainly not talking down to anyone on another platform. I'm just curious if any there will ever be separate updates (gameplay/hero balance, not just bugs) or if they will always be the same.
12/05/2016 03:21 PMPosted by CriticalCody

So you didn't buy it at release so unfair to the argument lets bring up how consoles last as long as they do because game developers for consoles are limited to that consoles performance. There is a reason only after 2 years of PS4 and XBONE they are coming out with more powerful systems.
but they are still functioning at a high level after two years unlike the pc because console builds to the console and not just whatever the developers want, it's not like I have to buy anything to play at a nice graphic setting for the Xbox like I would have to with pc, that's all I am saying, I was a long time pc gamer but console just is more convenient sometimes.
12/05/2016 03:06 PMPosted by ETR

This is news to me. As I understand it the keyboard and mouse adapters have aim assist compensation which can easily be exploited. I know there really isn't much in the way of regulating that anyway but it still strikes me as unfair.

You know how much effort PC players go to to minimize input lag and get as 1:1 consistency on their mouse movement as possible?
Now add huge amounts of acceleration. Turn speed caps, reticle slow down as you get close to (not even onto) your target.
It doesn't feel like playing with a mouse, you're actually just controlling your right analog stick with a mouse. That's what these devices do.
So far so good on PS4 :)

I'll never get to TOP 500 NA or whatever lol so as long as the queue times stay so low it's almost instant ramen gaming, I'm good.

-GLHF

Actually, it's quite the opposite. A $500 PC will outperform a console for years after said console is obsolete because of whatever next generation has been released.

12/05/2016 03:11 PMPosted by Cleesus

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=overwatch&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

Do you mean console edition of Overwatch outsold PC edition? Or are you saying consoles were outright bought over PCs, which you might be right because the initial investment for a console is cheaper.
12/05/2016 03:46 PMPosted by Blam320

Actually, it's quite the opposite. A $500 PC will outperform a console for years after said console is obsolete because of whatever next generation has been released.

12/05/2016 03:11 PMPosted by Cleesus

Do you mean console edition of Overwatch outsold PC edition? Or are you saying consoles were outright bought over PCs, which you might be right because the initial investment for a console is cheaper.

I think in the context of what we were discussing and from the content in that link the answer should be painfully obvious.
Aren't trobjorn, symmetra and pharah different on console than on PC? I don't follow the consoles but I swear I have seen this posted.
12/05/2016 06:35 PMPosted by Ender
Aren't trobjorn, symmetra and pharah different on console than on PC? I don't follow the consoles but I swear I have seen this posted.

Pharah is technically the same, but is a monster due to aiming difficulties on targets in the air.

Torbjorn and Symmetra have a 30% turret nerf that is no longer necessary due to the removal of hero stacking. Besides, no one asked for a Symmetra nerf and it's widely accepted among console players that they should've nerfed Torbjorn's turret's range or acquisition time and not a flat damage nerf.
12/05/2016 06:35 PMPosted by Ender

Torbjorn's and Symmetra's turrets were given a flat 30% damage output reduction. That came after devs acknowledged the problem with Torbjorn's turret on console was the speed, range, and accuracy (note: not the damage) and it came utterly out of nowhere for Symmetra. (Which still hasn't been explained by the devs other than they said they hoped it would force console stats and PC stats more in line with each other, i.e. it made console Symmetra more unpopular than PC Symmetra, so... that's even? Somehow?)

That is the one and only balance change which is different between console and PC. No other characters have had any changes, and those are the only changes made to those two heroes.

Meanwhile, console continues to get all of the changes which clearly should be PC-only, like changes to Soldier's accuracy, nerfing Widowmaker in the early days, etc.

edit: regarding Pharah: She's not been changed on console, but she does behave very differently on console than on PC. As a player of both console and PC, it stands out immediately that console players generally are better at controlling her hovering in any particular area, while PC players are better at zipping from point to point with her; this has been toned down since her hover time and height got extended, so now console players can move as fast as on PC and have an easier time controlling her hover movement; on PC she gets shot down a little more, but on console she has a harder time doing damage herself. This is further exaggerated at higher-ranked play on console where people using mouse & keyboard adaptors use Pharah a lot, as their advantage—cheating, essentially—is a big boost to her on console. So, no, she has not been changed by Blizzard on console compared to PC, but she is pretty much the #2 character who plays differently on each platform. (#1 is easily Widowmaker, who can at least be viable in truly pro hands on PC, but may as well not exist at all on console.)

edit 2: Oh, and regarding the whole thing about mouse & keyboard adaptors on console:

Nothing can be done about it. Period. We've gone over this a million times since launch. The adaptors being used 'translate' the mouse & keyboard input into controller inputs, so the console itself does not know that anything unusual is being used. It is not the same as the standard keyboard & mouse support each console has. (Which is disabled for Overwatch.) There is literally no way to detect the devices, other than the players owning up to using them. The 'price' of this is it does also mean that, technically, these adaptors do not let someone do anything which a controller can't already do. (It's just that very few people have the fine motor control to get the same results out of a controller.) They are still beholden to the same limitations as controllers, such as the look speed cap, the deadzone, acceleration, smoothing, and the terrible, terrible interp.

Blizzard can't do anything about it.
Sony can't do anything about it.
Microsoft can't do anything about it.