Too Harsh? Competitive Leaver Penalty Idea

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
Highly Rated
Idea for new leaver penalty:

Leave current system as is, make the following change to COMPETITIVE only:

1) After 3 leaves in a 24 hour period: automatic 24 hour ban and SR loss of 100.
a) This gives people with connection issues a threshold to say "i'm having connection issues, let me not queue in competitive until i can suss it out"

2) After the 24 hour ban concludes: 3 further leaves in 24 hours results in a 3 day ban, SR loss of 300

3) After the 3 day ban: 3 further leaves in a 24 hour period results in a one week ban, automatic loss of one bracket rank and comparable amount of SR

4) After One Week Ban: 3 further leaves in a 24 hour period results in a 2 week ban

And so on and so forth.

I also think that if you D/C and then reconnect to the game it should not count as a leave. The idea here is to severely punish people that leave chronically and also give people with connection problems a chance to say "i should not play competitive until i fix my issues"

Ultimately, small bans and SR loss aren't enough to deter leavers from leaving, it needs to prevent them from playing the game whatsoever.

Too harsh?
Shameless Bump (downvote me naoooooo)
Highly Rated
I actually agree with this. It's not a perfect one but I feel it would work much better than the current system.

Edit: Still downvoting that shameless bump though ;)
What they definitely should add is that when you disconnect at the beginning of the game, you still have the chance to rejoin. Right now you'll disconnect and the game ends after 10 seconds so you can't rejoin, lose rank and get a 10 minute ban. If you're going to end the game that fast, then at least don't ban the player.

Couple of days ago I had this twice in a short time period, first 10 minute ban, then a 30 minute ban. I usually have a stable connection so it's not that I get this often it was the first time it happened. Could even be server related because I wasn't thrown out of my party chat on XBL. Pretty frustrating though.
100% for this.
Penalizing leavers and disconnects wont get rid of them, it will only reduce the player pool. Players that leave early are trolling. They dont care about punishment as long as they get to negatively affect the match for the rest of the team. If you ban one, another will step in to take their place. Meanwhile, u will lose legit players who are getting punished for disconnects and those that continue to be forced into 5v6 situations.
12/06/2016 08:39 AMPosted by Motherball
Penalizing leavers and disconnects wont get rid of them, it will only reduce the player pool. Players that leave early are trolling. They dont care about punishment as long as they get to negatively affect the match for the rest of the team. If you ban one, another will step in to take their place. Meanwhile, u will lose legit players who are getting punished for disconnects and those that continue to be forced into 5v6 situations.

I think the idea is to make the punishment for leaving so severe that people stop (eventually) or end up unable to play for weeks at a time
The law can't stop the crimes, how can your punishment stop the leavers? blizzard even said hackers will get ban for life but they are still doing it.
12/06/2016 09:07 AMPosted by OLKNIFE
The law can't stop the crimes, how can your punishment stop the leavers? blizzard even said hackers will get ban for life but they are still doing it.

Leaving is far more of a passive event than hacking. You aren't finding work arounds and using third party programs, you're simply losing games.

There are way more people who leave the game than who cheat. There is a lot more progress to be made by such a rule
We appreciate this feedback and we want to continue to be aggressive against people leaving in competitive play. We won't, however, use Skill Rating deductions as a penalty. The last thing people want is a highly skilled player ending up in Bronze and being matched against people much lower skill than they are. Also, if we allow a highly skilled penalized player to end up in Bronze and then continue to match them against other highly skilled players, people will perceive our matchmaking systems to be broken.

Ultimately, we want to remove frequent leavers from competitive play altogether. We just don't want them playing games there.
Highly Rated
12/06/2016 09:44 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We appreciate this feedback and we want to continue to be aggressive against people leaving in competitive play. We won't, however, use Skill Rating deductions as a penalty. The last thing people want is a highly skilled player ending up in Bronze and being matched against people much lower skill than they are. Also, if we allow a highly skilled penalized player to end up in Bronze and then continue to match them against other highly skilled players, people will perceive our matchmaking systems to be broken.

Ultimately, we want to remove frequent leavers from competitive play altogether. We just don't want them playing games there.

Best thing is to put them in their own queue so leavers play with leavers.

Drain the swamp!!
The last thing people want is a highly skilled player ending up in Bronze.

LOL Then fix Competitive mode, if you truly don't want this! You got high skill people all over the place due to unfair disadvantages (or advantages on enemy team). Like seriously, Competitive mode is literally a joke and the person's rank doesn't at all says anything about their actual skill, since high skill people are in Bronze while low skill people are in Gold or Platinum.

So yeah, get your crap together. You guys should've cleared the board once again and do a new system for season 3, which you didn't, so everything is still broken...

Then again, Overwatch is a casual game so ruining Competitive mode for the casual people who wants gold weapons would be a terrible idea, since it'll anger said people.

will perceive our matchmaking systems to be broken.

This mentality is the problem... Accept the fact that your matchmaking systems is broken! The first step of solving a problem is recognizing that there is one!

Appreciate the response.

I see your point on the SR rating aspect, i suppose it could be abused.

I think getting as close to zero tolerance as possible without unnecessarily punishing people who have the occasional DC is where it should get to.
Highly Rated
I heard Dota2 uses a system where chronic leavers are placed in a low-priority queue and have to play with each other until they clean up their act. Think that'd work for Overwatch?
12/06/2016 09:50 AMPosted by ClaytonSnow
Drain the swamp!!
12/06/2016 09:53 AMPosted by Seiryuu
I heard Dota2 uses a system where chronic leavers are placed in a low-priority queue and have to play with each other until they clean up their act. Think that'd work for Overwatch?

Would suck if someone ended up stuck there due to a DC.

Please do this...
I mean, place leavers with leavers.. and flamers, with flamers. Seems to be the best idea to me.