Mercy players.. stop doing this

General Discussion
About 70% of the games i play, our mercy just focusing on healing.. its like they dont know they got a dmg boost abillity.. They even keep healing people with full hp instead of boosting their dmg and its making me really upset.
It's like playing zenyata and not using discord orb..
Problem is, half the time it's still smarter to just focus on healing. Damage boost is only as useful as the person you're boosting. Healing, at least, keeps them alive so they might actually have a chance at being useful.
In fairness, keeping allies in the fight is often more important than outright damage boosting, especially if your team has a lot of squishies. Whilst a Mercy absolutely SHOULD be using her damage boost at opportune moments, healing is more often than not more critical if somebody needs it.

Just holding down left-click whilst somebody is at full health for the duration is pretty silly though.
I'd rather heal the other four people than give one person a little extra damage. I'm going to keep blipping around people to make sure everyone is full and then maybe give someone damage for a few seconds.
Meh.

The thing is, when the character you're boosting actually starts to take damage, it can go really quickly, and by the time you react and switch it's often too late to save them. Pretty much the only time it's sensible to damage boost someone like Soldier or McCree, for example, is when they're behind a Rein shield. If they're in the open, you're more likely to keep them alive by just sticking to healing.

That said, you're usually either in the situation where you don't even have time to fully heal one target before going to the next in order to have any hope of keeping your team halfway alive, or you don't really have to do much healing at all (in which case, your damage boost usually isn't really needed either).
12/06/2016 04:53 AMPosted by Fima
About 70% of the games i play, our mercy just focusing on healing.. its like they dont know they got a dmg boost abillity..

This is the only way my team pisses me off on a regular basis; to make some smartass remark about damage boosting.

You don't know. You don't understand. You aren't watching health bars of the entire team and you are frantically trying to stay alive when you are, LITERALLY, the most valuable target to kill for the enemy team. You aren't trying to keep track of where 11 other players are located at all times.

Are any allies dead? Do I have ult? Where is the corpse? What is their release timer? Should I rez or save it? Oh god, Gejni on me and D.Va is critical!

You. Don't. Know.

So forgive me if I keep holding left click instead of switching to damage boost for 1.3 seconds so you can do an extra 47 damage while I'm trying to manage all of this at once. Oh, and lest we forget that a full HP player can be knocked down to critical with a single hit from the right damage source.
12/06/2016 04:55 AMPosted by Krow
Problem is, half the time it's still smarter to just focus on healing. Damage boost is only as useful as the person you're boosting. Healing, at least, keeps them alive so they might actually have a chance at being useful.
someone needs to switch off damage if you think this is okay. You should always be useful not just "have a chance". You can be useful without heals, healing should just make you play even better.
The thing about damage boost is, as many people have said, it's generally not great unless whoever you're boosting has perfect aim. Mercy's pistol will always do more damage than the extra damage a boosted target can do, except Bastion.

I generally balance healing with fighting, rather than damage boosting another person. Shooting a charging Reinhardt to help save an ally is going to do more damage than boosting the 76 shooting at Reinhardt (By 40 damage a second). I feel more like I'm contributing if I get 3 actual kills rather than just 3 offensive assists in a match.

12/06/2016 05:03 AMPosted by Uglesett
The thing is, when the character you're boosting actually starts to take damage, it can go really quickly, and by the time you react and switch it's often too late to save them.

Also this is a huge problem with damage boost. The only time I ever use it is when I'm attached to a 76 and he drops his biotic field for us or if I'm not a solo healer. If I'm not solo healing, I'm much more likely to use my pistol over a damage boost.

Getting 14 elims, 9k healing, and 6 resurrects in a match as Mercy is pretty rad anyway, tbh.
12/06/2016 04:53 AMPosted by Fima
About 70% of the games i play, our mercy just focusing on healing.. its like they dont know they got a dmg boost abillity.. They even keep healing people with full hp instead of boosting their dmg and its making me really upset.
It's like playing zenyata and not using discord orb..

you can say whatever you want, some mercy players will never see that they are making mistakes. they are always thinking "i play mercy, be thankful for that, &protect me ofc"

sometimes its smart to damage boost someone instead of healing, when you damage boost a reaper who kills several people with his ult, while one of your teammate dies.. its still better for the team, especially when you have your rez up. depends on the situation of course.
It makes me laugh when a Mercy player stands behind a Rein shield continually healing him even though he is already full. I'm pretty sure they must have healed in WoW and think the gameplay is the same. Problem is, the enemy team have free will and don't just attack the person highest on their threat table.
12/06/2016 05:10 AMPosted by Snurtlicious
The thing about damage boost is, as many people have said, it's generally not great unless whoever you're boosting has perfect aim. Mercy's pistol will always do more damage than the extra damage a boosted target can do, except Bastion.

I counter this argument in a couple ways. First, my own accurate using a pistol with slow moving projectiles is questionable at best. Second, there's a delay between swapping weapons that can be costly. With right clicking, I can instantly click, without even having to worry about aiming the beam. Third, while I'm right clicking on someone (usually Soldier, Junkrat, or D.Va), I can 'set it and forget it' and use this time to take a glance at the surroundings and see who is where and who is doing what without having to be trying to aim at something myself. Fourth, I can right click someone from being a corner and stay out of enemy fire myself.
12/06/2016 05:13 AMPosted by Bus9ja2d
Problem is, the enemy team have free will and don't just attack the person highest on their threat table.

This is a lie. They will always attack the person with the highest agro: Mercy.
9/10 times it's smarter to heal. That way if damage does start coming in, especially in large bursts you can sustain them long enough for them to duck behind cover. Where as if you were damage boosting for a measly 30% on the 4 shots they manage to land they would be burned to nothing before you have a chance to react.

So please, let the Healers do their job. Chances are they know a lot more than you do on the matter.
hahha guys.. im a mercy main with 86% win rate over 60 games... i know how to toggel between healing and boosting dmg... so your bull!@#$ about "they know what they are doing, you are pissing me of" is just pure %^-* talk cuz im calling you out on a detail which turns games to your advantage...
Frankly, if your Mercy has enough time to be mucking around seriously with damage boosts she should be on another hero entirely. Mercy is most valuable rescuing key targets from death. That's her role and one of the few things she's good at. If she doesn't need to do that, she could be having far more impact on a character like Soldier or Zen that has light healing but focuses more on damage.
12/06/2016 05:13 AMPosted by keeeyt
sometimes its smart to damage boost someone instead of healing, when you damage boost a reaper who kills several people with his ult, while one of your teammate dies..

If you chose between damage boosting an ulting Reaper vs saving an ally, you made the wrong choice.
12/06/2016 05:13 AMPosted by keeeyt
sometimes its smart to damage boost someone instead of healing, when you damage boost a reaper who kills several people with his ult, while one of your teammate dies.. its still better for the team, especially when you have your rez up. depends on the situation of course.

While the extra 30% damage is nice on an ult, it doesn't mean anything if he can't live through it. That's why I often heal Reapers so they stay alive through the whole thing.
The only moment i use Damage Boost is when Soldier, Genji, Hanzo, Reinhardt or Pharah using ultimate. Another time, meh.
12/06/2016 05:28 AMPosted by GrumpyBee
The only moment i use Damage Boost is when Soldier, Genji, Hanzo, Reinhardt or Pharah using ultimate. Another time, meh.

so in a defense on for example temple of anubis, when you are behind a reinharts shield with a soldier, mccree, bastion or w/e.. you just stand there and hold left klick and wank your father? cuz its that kind of plays im getting mad about.
12/06/2016 05:16 AMPosted by Erras
First, my own accurate using a pistol with slow moving projectiles is questionable at best. Second, there's a delay between swapping weapons that can be costly. With right clicking, I can instantly click, without even having to worry about aiming the beam. Third, while I'm right clicking on someone (usually Soldier, Junkrat, or D.Va), I can 'set it and forget it' and use this time to take a glance at the surroundings and see who is where and who is doing what without having to be trying to aim at something myself. Fourth, I can right click someone from being a corner and stay out of enemy fire myself.

Well accuracy is kind of, excuse this pun, hit or miss based on player. I'm by no means perfectly accurate, but I'm better at hitting targets far away from me with Mercy's pistol, rather than 1v1. Widowmakers everywhere fear my stupid zig-zag strafe while firing at their heads.

I'm much more likely to shoot my own pistol than damage boost someone while behind a Reinhardt (especially if the rest of the team is off doing something stupid and me and Reinhardt are alone on the payload which happens way too often).

I think the time it takes to switch weapons is pretty negligible, honestly. It's usually worse when swapping from her staff to her pistol, rather than pistol to staff as you're likely already out of danger at that point.

Her beams are good for staying back and out of sight, but if you're not in any imminent danger, there's really no reason to boost an ally over shooting an enemy unless you're not confident in your aim. It's not hard to keep watch with her pistol out and make sure everything is still safe.

Both sides of the argument are situational, of course. In high-tension games with lots of flankers, it's better to play it safe and hang back out of sight, but if the enemy team is very front-loaded and constantly pushing in from one direction, you should have no problem firing into a crowd with her pistol and doing some serious damage to squishy heroes.