General Discussion
Shimada Bros., Justice, and High Noon are awful. Please make better game modes if you're going to force us to play.
Probably to avoid long que times which can be even more frustrating if you only have time for a couple games.
12/05/2016 11:40 PMPosted by UnleashedNap
Probably to avoid long que times which can be even more frustrating if you only have time for a couple games.

EVERYONE was playing QP before competitive. The queue was not long. Lots of people play comp and the queue is rarely long.
I think you misunderstood. If for example everyone ques up for quick play there is a large pool of players for the matchmaker to set up game lobbies. If however you split up that large pool of players into a large number of subsections the matchmaker has trouble finding people of similar skill levels and experience. In the case of brawl selection if you fragment your player pool to much it results in longer que times as the matchmaker struggle to find players.
It should just do what Mario Kart does. First it pulls people into a room. Then it lists 3 Brawls and you vote for the one you want to play. It picks a person at random and you play the one they voted for.
12/06/2016 12:04 AMPosted by Terotrous
It should just do what Mario Kart does. First it pulls people into a room. Then it lists 3 Brawls and you vote for the one you want to play. It picks a person at random and you play the one they voted for.

Sounds good to me.
12/05/2016 11:57 PMPosted by UnleashedNap
I think you misunderstood. If for example everyone ques up for quick play there is a large pool of players for the matchmaker to set up game lobbies. If however you split up that large pool of players into a large number of subsections the matchmaker has trouble finding people of similar skill levels and experience. In the case of brawl selection if you fragment your player pool to much it results in longer que times as the matchmaker struggle to find players.

If a mode is struggling to find players, maybe it should be niche like that? I'd rather sacrifice marginal wait time for being forced to play game modes I don't like.
12/06/2016 12:04 AMPosted by Terotrous

That would be at least more interesting than the random selection.

Still I'd like to confirm from Blizzard that the player base isnt large enough such that dividing up groups of people (one group that always wants to play Charge, one group that always wants to play Total Ham) means longer queue times. It seems like the game has a huge player base. So I'd be surprised that there wouldn't be enough people online (typically) to queue up for whichever mode they desire without a long wait.

Also keep in mind right now there are at least 5 distinct modes: arcade (random brawl select), 3v3, QP, comp, and unlimited heroes. The wait time for any one of those is pretty short. Sure divying the 5 or 6 arcade modes makes for a total of 11 or so, but I still doubt the wait times would be super long.
12/06/2016 12:07 AMPosted by etcyl

If a mode is struggling to find players, maybe it should be niche like that? I'd rather sacrifice marginal wait time for being forced to play game modes I don't like.

Except what you think of as marginal would be an increase anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes, depending on brawl popularity. Nobody would wait that long.

Even in Quick Play I sometimes have to wait 3-6 minutes before I can find a match simply because my MMR is so high (at least I think that's why).
12/06/2016 02:15 AMPosted by FtDLulz
12/06/2016 12:07 AMPosted by etcyl

Except what you think of as marginal would be an increase anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes, depending on brawl popularity. Nobody would wait that long.

Even in Quick Play I sometimes have to wait 3-6 minutes before I can find a match simply because my MMR is so high (at least I think that's why).

Is there a way to empirically test this? I imagine Blizz has their ways. But I don't know off the top of my head you would definitively prove that the wait time would suffer so much. Not saying it's not plausible, and I appreciate your reply because I think this is a worthwhile discussion to have, just saying I want teh fax.
Don't forget people tend to leave the game when they get into arcade modes they dislike, causing you to re-queue...
Even being able to opt out of searching for certain Brawls under the advisement that it might result in a longer wait time seems like it'd be a plus.

Not a fan of Justice Rains from Above or Shimada Brothers, but there's ones in there that might be sort of fun.