2500 are good players

Competitive Discussion
A lot of those Overwatch statistic sites are horribly bugged right now, too, so I'm not really confident in putting much stake in the numbers those sites put out right now.
01/23/2017 05:48 AMPosted by polishpimp
Second your average competitive player and average quickplay player are two totally different animals.

This bears repeating. I'm kinda mediocre, based on my SR. But that's compared to competitive players. But compared to the totality of Overwatch players... maybe I am average. SR 2500 players certainly are above.
01/23/2017 04:36 AMPosted by Lunatic
I dont feel bad playing on platinum, i feel bad because no matter how good i play as support i just cant reach even 2800.

^^^ This. I couldn't rank up to save my life as support. After maining DPS and "DPS" Tanks for the last couple of days, I've done nothing but climb. It helps that I also found a duo queue partner who is an equally effective DPS. We've both gained about 200sr in the past two days.

The only problem is that while I'm clearly an effective DPS player... I really don't like playing DPS.
01/23/2017 10:55 PMPosted by TinySatan
I dont feel bad playing on platinum, i feel bad because no matter how good i play as support i just cant reach even 2800.

^^^ This. I couldn't rank up to save my life as support. After maining DPS and "DPS" Tanks for the last couple of days, I've done nothing but climb. It helps that I also found a duo queue partner who is an equally effective DPS. We've both gained about 200sr in the past two days.

The only problem is that while I'm clearly an effective DPS player... I really don't like playing DPS.

I've tanked about 300 rating today simply from trying to support matches where people are throwing. All the carry dps heroes are taken so we get stomped.

Gimme ur acc ill get u in dia by playing supp only in 1 day
I would seperate the ranks personally as:

Casual:
1 - Bronze
2 - Silver
3 - Gold
Mediocre:
4 - Platinum
5 - Diamond
Competitive:
6 - Master
7 - Grand Master

... Regardless of how many people each. I mean, think about it, if you have any intention to rise from any rank to higher, you would try to get better, right? That will eventually make you a competitive person, thus reaching higher corresponding ranks too.

Hence rather than "good", I'd say mediocre.
01/23/2017 10:36 AMPosted by ZEN
2500 is NOT average because blizz things ppl are average, its because of the ELO system. Every new player joining compet has 2500 SR, SR is never created or deleted, only moved from one player to another (except for masters + they loose sr for inactivity) So to gain SR you need to take it from other players. By starting at 2500, your given a fair start and... well google "elo system" and youll understand why its used in competitive games.

Except that's not actually how it works, but feel to continue with your ignorance.
01/23/2017 09:40 AMPosted by HappyRogue
I would like to know where everyone got the idea that 2500 is average. At the end of S1 Jeff Kaplan said that everyone at 60 (Or what is now 3k)+ was in the top 6% of players. After Season 2 a lot of Gold - Plat players were put in Bronze-Silver.

So: Why do people say 2500 is average? Do you know any Silver or Brone players who long int third-party sites? I don't, I myself have never logged into any of those sites.

This is the best info we have:
http://masteroverwatch.com/leaderboards/pc/global/mode/ranked/category/skillrating

Blizzard never released any official info on the distribution of the players, so we do not know 100%. The closest thing we have is what these websites do.
01/23/2017 04:30 AMPosted by Ironmonkey
But 2500 is average skill. Anyone with any game sense and average mechanical skill can easily get into 2500. I got to plat and never dropping below 2500 in s2 with less than 100 hours in the game, and Overwatch was my first ever multiplayer fps. And looking back at it, I was pretty trash at the game.

Maybe grouped with others, but solo queue it is tough to rank up because the games are so hit or miss. I wish solo queue matchmaking would match you with people who:
Scenario 1:
1.) Are also solo queue
2.) Who are within 100 SR of your rank
3.) Who's player level is within 100 (for gameplay time experience)
Scenario 2:
1.) A 5-man
2.) Who are within 100 SR of your rank combined team SR

Duos should only be matched with Trios
Quads should only be matched with Duos

This would make solo queue more balanced and fun. I hate getting matchmade in solo queue with a duo/trio group where one of them is close to 800-1000 more or less from my rank.
01/24/2017 08:50 AMPosted by EdGe

Duos should only be matched with Trios
Quads should only be matched with Duos

[/quote]

Please read that again :D