Ping problems since 12/8? Radeon upd8 could be the cause

Technical Support
I was the entire long weekend (where I live 8-9-10-11 have been Holidays) having problems with Overwatch.

I made a thread about it, noticed a lot of people are having problems too. Blue Response was not pretty efective, the WINMTR route showed issues, I have tested everything you can imagine and it looks like the problem was in recent Radeon Relive driver update.

I can confirm that (tested in the training ground only) completely uninstalling Radeon Relive drivers (16.12.1) and rolling back to the November 25th Version (16.11.5) have solved Stutter and Network traffic in my game.

I must add, that 16.12.1 was installed in 3 PC's at home, the only one that presents issues after that update was mine, Which has a r9 390.

The other two pcs have an r9 280 and an r7 265 both of them experience ZERO problems with the drivers update.

Could be nice If some blue Read This so Blizz can pass the info to AMD.

Thanks.

Let me & other people know if this help.
I can confirm that playing vs. IA is correct now too.

Gonna try quickplay and let you know.
Hey there Tirio,

Looking through the post where you included your MTR results, we can see that immediately after the modem you were having pretty extreme latency spikes and data loss going on. That was almost definitely the issue with your connection, and the fact that was after the modem means this is most likely not an issue with the AMD drivers and that was probably coincidental, as driver issues causing a connection issue should show up before the modem as well. That being said, your average and highest latency before the modem was still far outside the normal, which could indicate some possible wireless interference if you are using a wireless connection, and connecting with a direct wired Ethernet connection temporarily will definitely help in determining if that is the case.

| 192.168.1.1 - 0 | 228 | 228 | 1 | 62 | 499 | 4 |

| 10.20.16.1 - 13 | 153 | 134 | 8 | 74 | 527 | 304 |

I would definitely recommend trying to run the MTR test again with those new drivers installed to see if the test results look different, and honestly try reinstalling the new AMD drivers again and check the connection results one more time there, as it is entirely possible reverting those drivers was completely coincidental and the main issue happened to clear up around the same time you reverted those.

Hopefully with that extra data we can pinpoint more specifically what was/is going on so you don't run into issues like that later on!
Had the exact same thing happen on my 290x. Ping skyrocketed in OW and other games. Resolved when I rolled back the driver
Hey PatientMango,

With 2 players reporting really similar circumstances with rolling back the AMD drivers that definitely starts to sound like there may be some issues there. If possible, I'd recommend running the MTR tests as well if you can, both with and without the new drivers installed so we can see if those are somehow causing connection trouble. While graphics drivers shouldn't cause issues with the connection, it is possible that some new settings like the new AMD streaming/recording feature implemented in the new AMD Crimson ReLive may be interfering.

Information on how to run an MTR test for Windows:

1. Download WinMTR
2. Unzip the WinMTR.zip file to the Desktop.
3. Open the WinMTR folder and select the 32 or 64 bit version. Choose whichever one corresponds to your version of Windows.
4. Run the WinMTR.exe
5. Type the IP address you want to trace in the "Host" field. You can find the needed IP address here.
6. Click on "Start" and then launch the game. Once you notice the connection issue, play for about 10 more minutes, minimize the game and click on "Stop".
7. Click on "Export TEXT" and save the file to your desktop.
8. Add the resulting file results in your next post.
12/11/2016 10:22 AMPosted by Thinkawack
Hey PatientMango,

With 2 players reporting really similar circumstances with rolling back the AMD drivers that definitely starts to sound like there may be some issues there. If possible, I'd recommend running the MTR tests as well if you can, both with and without the new drivers installed so we can see if those are somehow causing connection trouble. While graphics drivers shouldn't cause issues with the connection, it is possible that some new settings like the new AMD streaming/recording feature implemented in the new AMD Crimson ReLive may be interfering.

Information on how to run an MTR test for Windows:

1. Download [url="http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Network-Testing/WinMTR.shtml"]WinMTR[/url]
2. Unzip the WinMTR.zip file to the Desktop.
3. Open the WinMTR folder and select the 32 or 64 bit version. Choose whichever one corresponds to your version of Windows.
4. Run the WinMTR.exe
5. Type the IP address you want to trace in the "Host" field. You can find the needed IP address [url="https://battle.net/support/article/7871"]here.[/url]
6. Click on "Start" and then launch the game. Once you notice the connection issue, play for about 10 more minutes, minimize the game and click on "Stop".
7. Click on "Export TEXT" and save the file to your desktop.
8. Add the resulting file results in your next post.

i dont have AMD so, guess that went out the window :D
Hey there Djevulsk,

Connection issues can be incredibly varied in the source of the problem, from issues with wireless interference, background programs interfering, modem or router settings, peering or pathing issues at the ISP or backbone levels, etc. Since you don't have an AMD graphics card, it is highly likely your issue is unrelated to the previous two posters in this thread, and I would recommend running the MTR tests I mentioned and starting up your own thread so we can help pinpoint possible sources of your issues!
12/11/2016 10:33 AMPosted by Thinkawack
Hey there Djevulsk,

Connection issues can be incredibly varied in the source of the problem, from issues with [url="https://battle.net/support/article/31320"]wireless interference[/url], [url="https://battle.net/support/article/23848"]background programs interfering[/url], [url="https://battle.net/support/article/7842"]modem or router settings[/url], peering or pathing issues at the ISP or backbone levels, etc. Since you don't have an AMD graphics card, it is highly likely your issue is unrelated to the previous two posters in this thread, and I would recommend running the MTR tests I mentioned and starting up your own thread so we can help pinpoint possible sources of your issues!

I have, posted it all into "lag?" thread
12/11/2016 10:11 AMPosted by Thinkawack
Hey there Tirio,

Looking through the post where you included your MTR results, we can see that immediately after the modem you were having pretty extreme latency spikes and data loss going on. That was almost definitely the issue with your connection, and the fact that was after the modem means this is most likely not an issue with the AMD drivers and that was probably coincidental, as driver issues causing a connection issue should show up before the modem as well. That being said, your average and highest latency before the modem was still far outside the normal, which could indicate some possible wireless interference if you are using a wireless connection, and connecting with a [url="https://battle.net/support/article/31320"]direct wired Ethernet connection [/url]temporarily will definitely help in determining if that is the case.

| 192.168.1.1 - 0 | 228 | 228 | 1 | 62 | 499 | 4 |

| 10.20.16.1 - 13 | 153 | 134 | 8 | 74 | 527 | 304 |

I would definitely recommend trying to run the MTR test again with those new drivers installed to see if the test results look different, and honestly try reinstalling the new AMD drivers again and check the connection results one more time there, as it is entirely possible reverting those drivers was completely coincidental and the main issue happened to clear up around the same time you reverted those.

Hopefully with that extra data we can pinpoint more specifically what was/is going on so you don't run into issues like that later on!

Honestly. Under normal circunstancies I would agree with you. I read those reports and initially thought something was wrong with my homenet.

So I went and... (after every step I checked again on training ground. And then, since it does not work, undo the changes.)

1. Factory reset the router.
2. Reset windows firewall exceptions.
3. Bridge the modem to prevent double nats.
4. Assign a reserved address to the pc with the problem in my home network.
5. Tested on ANOTHER open WIFI NETWORK (sorry neighbourgh)
6. Connecting my pc through an eternet cable.

And finally....

Thinking that this thing started when I updated to Radeon Relive (16.12) I rolled back the driver... thinking that it was imposible that it was to blame.

I was shocked. It was.

I would try to post a winmtr post as soon as i can with this version of the driver (november 25th)

I am pretty sure this is the problem. Please, pass it on to amd.

Thanks for your response Mr. Blue.
Also. 62 is my usual ping. I'm from argentina.

Aaaaand i forgot to tell you that I also cmd ping the homenet and No problem
Hello! I am also having the same issues after the ReLive update.

My ping is normal, 60-90 most of the time during a game, but since the update heroes are stuttering and teleporting randomly -- non fluid animations and paths.

Abilities and position also reset as if lagging badly, attacks and projectiles disappear, or they hit their target and just don't count.

I agree with many that it is unplayable in these conditions. I didn't think a video card driver would do this, but it does seem to be the most likely culprit.

Here's my MTR log:
192.168.1.1 - 1 | 693 | 688 | 2 | 64 | 512 | 5
24.105.62.129 - 4 | 617 | 593 | 40 | 111 | 573 | 65

I'm going to try the driver rollback and see if that fixes it. It's sad if this is the culprit, because AMD's new Instant Replay thing seemed pretty darn handy.
Exact same problems here.

Also narrowed it down to the Radeon drivers... I'll also say it is not just for any 1 game. Once those drivers are installed and the computer loads the "Radeon Settings Tray" I can start a ping -t to about anywhere and normal pings are interweaved with groups of high pings at about 9 normal then 3 high. If you simply close the "Radeon Settings Tray" by killing "RadeonSettings.exe" the bad ping times immediately stop without having to rollback drivers.

So it isn't really the drivers themselves so much as the add-on software that came with the relive edition package.
Hey there FearlessAce,

From those connection results normally I would definitely recommend switching to a wired connection, as the kind of high latency spikes and data loss we are seeing early on in the test generally indicate interference trouble.

192.168.1.1 - 1 | 693 | 688 | 2 | 64 | 512 | 5

If the driver rollback does help, please get a fresh MTR test after the fact so we can confirm if that is the issue here, since this would definitely be a major bug in the graphics drivers if they are causing connection problems.
Hi thinkawack.

This is the winmtr after the rollback. I can confirm the problem lies on the driver...

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| 192.168.1.1 - 0 | 116 | 116 | 0 | 2 | 7 | 1 |
| 10.20.16.1 - 21 | 64 | 51 | 0 | 17 | 69 | 21 |
| 10.242.0.153 - 0 | 116 | 116 | 8 | 16 | 68 | 11 |
| telecentro.baires3.bai.seabone.net - 58 | 35 | 15 | 0 | 18 | 65 | 13 |
| ae0.baires3.bai.seabone.net - 18 | 67 | 55 | 0 | 17 | 71 | 9 |
| No response from host - 100 | 23 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider
12/11/2016 12:34 PMPosted by Tirio
Hi thinkawack.

This is the winmtr after the rollback. I can confirm the problem lies on the driver...

[/quote]

again, not the driver, it's the software. Check my post above, with the newest driver just kill that stupid radeon desktop process and everything works fine.
Hey there Rexell,

If possible I'm trying to get more data on what specifically is causing this trouble with those new Drivers and Crimson Relive software. There were a few significant changes with the software in this new version - mostly with the ReLive recording software itself, Chill setting, and Wattman support for new graphics devices that previously didn't support that. There is some info on those changes here

If you get a chance, can you try disabling each of those individually in the Radeon settings and see if any in particular appear to be causing the latency issues?
12/11/2016 12:58 PMPosted by Rexell
12/11/2016 12:34 PMPosted by Tirio
Hi thinkawack.

[/quote]
again, not the driver, it's the software. Check my post above, with the newest driver just kill that stupid radeon desktop process and everything works fine.

I know Rex. But for the average joe, Driver Software Package is one, and called Driver.

I prefered to rollback for previous version than having to disable the software part of the package.
12/11/2016 01:03 PMPosted by Thinkawack
Hey there Rexell,

If possible I'm trying to get more data on what specifically is causing this trouble with those new Drivers and Crimson Relive software. There were a few significant changes with the software in this new version - mostly with the ReLive recording software itself, Chill setting, and Wattman support for new graphics devices that previously didn't support that. There is some info on those changes [url="http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64"]here [/url]

If you get a chance, can you try disabling each of those individually in the Radeon settings and see if any in particular appear to be causing the latency issues?

I'm pretty sure it's the whole "suite" I don't have any of the individually configured items turned on (relive, eyefinity, etc.) So I'm left with it being the main install.