How am I gaining SR when I lose over half of my matches?

Competitive Discussion
Just curious of someone who knows how SR work can answer the question of how my SR is raising even though I still lose over half of my matches?

I was around 570 and am now up to 740?

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Masehan-1253

I know I'm down in the rankings of the worst players, but just curious how it works.
My guess is you're performing at a higher skill than you are placed. So when you lose the system rewards you with a softer penalty because it wants to see you higher.
Lol your sr is low af
delete this thread before blizzard see your problem and fixes it lol
You win games ,you gain SR.Loose games-loose SR. The more you do one of these in a row ,the bigger the gain/loss gets.
You are preforming well on a losing team. You can still get MVP awards for losing.
01/11/2017 05:54 PMPosted by Masehan
Just curious of someone who knows how SR work can answer the question of how my SR is raising even though I still lose over half of my matches?

I was around 570 and am now up to 740?

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Masehan-1253

I know I'm down in the rankings of the worst players, but just curious how it works.

At the start of Season 3, everyone is placed slightly lower than their final Season 2 rank (depending on how their placement matches went, but this is generally true). This reflects a conservative estimate of your skill, which makes your beginning Season 3 SR provisional. The reason is so you aren't accidentally placed higher than you should be, where you won't be able to compete effectively (which would result in a negative experience and increase the likelihood of burnout). However, your "real" SR is still used for matchmaking. Over enough games, your provisional SR and your real SR will converge.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TYxqOPL7zBauizxk7js5OH-CCbncW14HNOZkt594jLg/edit?usp=sharing

That link above is my personal competitive match tracking spreadsheet. It's a little muddy for the first few games because I played with groups, but for the all-solo (1+1+1+1+1+1) games, you can see that my SR was usually 100-150 SR lower than the average of both teams. So I was worthy of being matched with them, but my SR didn't reflect that. Therefore, if I won, my rating would increase a larger amount than normal, and if I lost, my rating would decrease less than normal. It would trend me upward toward my real SR (and my real SR would continue moving as well based on the game outcomes). After enough games, the SR gains and losses start to even out as I reach my personal plateau.

If that provisional SR turned out to be correct, then great! I was where I should have been all along. If it wasn't correct, then that's also great, because it probably means that I climbed up to where my real SR was. You can run the numbers if you want, but my win ratio was only at about 40% or so and I still maintained the same rating after 30 games. At a 50% win ratio I was over +300 net SR from initial placement.

I don't know how long the provisional period lasts, and it's hard to glean from the data, but my guess would be maybe 50-60 games? Around the time gains/losses go from +30/-20 to +23/-23 on average. It should start evening out for you pretty soon, if it hasn't already.
01/11/2017 08:12 PMPosted by ExcaliburZ
At the start of Season 3, everyone is placed slightly lower than their final Season 2 rank (depending on how their placement matches went, but this is generally true).

Actually no, people in the bottom got placed lower, people in the middle stayed roughly where they were and people in the top got placed higher.

the SR boost lasted around 10-20 games for me (but i did go something like 30 wins 2 losses and some draws at the start of the season, so that might have affected it)
Blizzard addressed it before the season started but no one wants to acknowledge that the system is more lenient than it was before. Seagull comments on it almost every time he streams that there are simply more players playing at the upper tiers than the previous seasons. This is due to several reasons:

1) A more lenient system
2) More evenly distributing ranks amongst the population
3) A significant drop in mechanical skill required to win a game. To clarify, why spend so much more effort on McCree/Widow when you can have a soldier/ana ult combo where all you do is press Q?

A few observations that points towards these reasons:

1) Top 500 has gone from about 3900 last season to 4200+, indicating that the system is rewarding or placing players higher than last season.
2) Current Diamond play is at a much lower skill ceiling than both season 1 and season 2. The players are halfway competent but it's not nearly as intense as the previous seasons.
01/11/2017 06:13 PMPosted by g0DXD
Lol your sr is low af

Yours ain't really that high either....
01/11/2017 08:19 PMPosted by Tankz
01/11/2017 08:12 PMPosted by ExcaliburZ
At the start of Season 3, everyone is placed slightly lower than their final Season 2 rank (depending on how their placement matches went, but this is generally true).

Actually no, people in the bottom got placed lower, people in the middle stayed roughly where they were and people in the top got placed higher.

the SR boost lasted around 10-20 games for me (but i did go something like 30 wins 2 losses and some draws at the start of the season, so that might have affected it)

Here's the source on that: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20749698219

As a result, we’re testing a different way of determining your starting SR for Season 3 on the PTR. We’re leaning more towards trying to keep things fair rather than giving everyone a fresh start. We’re also going to initially tune your SR to be slightly lower to start. In turn, fewer players should start the season having their Skill Rating drastically drop despite having close to even wins and losses.