-75% XP for leaving games !?

General Discussion
I'm not going to say I'm not leaving games because I am...

What I don't understand is why can't I leave a Quick Match game ( which is all I play bar from placements ) where we get no tanks / no healers / widow + hanzo + sombra... repeatedly ?

I don't force team composition to anyone; I don't ask them to change their champs, it's quick play and, even if it wasn't, they've the right to play whatever champion they want - but I also should reserve the right no not want to play into an all sniper composition pushing a payload !

If this was competitive I'd understand - I would suck it up a bit and might even play a different role than I'd want to for the sake of being a good team-player; but on Quick Play I really don't understand why do I have to stick around a team that will barely make it to the payload !

I'm not saying this from an "angry kiddo" perspective - I'm not raging nor am I crying because all of a sudden the only reason I play the game for is being cut;

I am genuinely asking what's the reason behind forcing me into a team composition that doesn't bare the minimal effort and why am I being penalized for deciding to not want to endure 10mins of slaughter
01/11/2017 11:02 AMPosted by Luis
What I don't understand is why can't I leave a Quick Match game ( which is all I play bar from placements ) where we get no tanks / no healers / widow + hanzo + sombra... repeatedly ?

You only have 31 posts here, so I'm not sure how often you visit... but if you come here a lot, you'll see another common thread type. It happens pretty often; the "Why am I backfilling" threads. You see, people don't like being put into games in progress, and this happens directly because of people leaving the games. On top of that, leaving a game puts a team at a disadvantage, no matter how quickly the spot gets backfilled.

So the proper thing to do is to discourage leavers, since it does nothing but disrupt teamwork and gameplay. The 75% experience penalty is in place to discourage leavers.
You can, there are just consequences. You accept them when you choose to leave

You have to leave a pretty high % of your last 20 games to actually trigger the penalty. You get several games warning with a BIG RED WARNING BOX on your screen telling you if you continue to leave you will be penalized

You continued to leave knowing this and were penalized

When you leave it forces the game to backfill a player. This inconveniences the team, forces them to play at a disadvantage until a player is found to backfill and get into the match, interrupts any potential chemistry by adding in a new variable, and can potentially cost them the game.

Not every circumstance is as you've described where the game is clearly a lossand there is no way for the system to discriminate WHY you left, only that you did
QP is a good place to Practice so some people might want to really try to get good with Widow, Hanzo, or Sombrero.

Also you left you're team making it a 5v6 for whatever period of time.

You knew the penalties for leaving and you did it anyways.
I just think the XP penalty in QP is too harsh, give QP leavers a -40% XP penalty and ban them from joining another QP game for a short while instead. Having your levelling grinding to a halt due to leaving too much just makes you want to stop playing the game, it doesn't make you not want to leave games.
blizzard would rather continue to use garbage matchmaking to force people in qp to group with trolls so you either have to leave during character selection before the leaver flag is set, or just endure the trolls.
"People backfill!"
-5v6 until backfill, aka lose the objective/game
-Player joins and doesnt pick the role needed to team
-Player joins, doesn't have ult charge like as you did
01/11/2017 11:10 AMPosted by Swedneck
I just think the XP penalty in QP is too harsh, give QP leavers a -40% XP penalty and ban them from joining another QP game for a short while instead.

This is a much harsher penalty than just -75% for leaving multiple games.
You can leave. In the first like 30 seconds when you see heroes that being selected before the game started. In the next 40 seconds and before the match ends you can't so 'be quick about it'.
It's an anti toxic player measure. It isn't entirely effective (people drop anyway), but if there was no penalty people would keave in droves and cause horrible matches for anyone actually wanting to play.

After all, if there is no penalty for leaving, what would stop an entire team from simply leaving after the first point is lost? Saves them time and they can just jump into another game, and the other team just gets... Nothing. A little exp at best.
Please stay in QP and don't touch Competitive, with that attitude
Jut dont quit, just enjoy the game for what it is and there are always other games in case you get annoyed. Backfilling is already annoying because players decide to quit when they dont like something.
01/11/2017 11:16 AMPosted by infamous067
Jut dont quit, just enjoy the game for what it is and there are always other games in case you get annoyed. Backfilling is already annoying because players decide to quit when they dont like something.
Too bad not everyone can enjoy getting back to respawn every other second.
The thing is, the number of games you have to leave is pretty high, I don't know the exact proportion of your last 20 games but you have to leave a lot of games

Also, according to the below article, you can leave during the assemble phase without having it count against you. So if your team starts picking heroes and you see a trash comp start to form you can still leave at no penalty. Sounds like you're playing in these trash comps, give up, and then leave.

http://www.pcgamer.com/blizzard-explains-overwatch-leaver-penalty/

The way I see it, if you start the game knowing who your teammates intend to play, then you silently agree to give an honest effort with that composition.
It's sort of mind boggling to me how people KNOW there is a penalty, get a GIANT RED IN GAME WARNING about that penalty, continue to leave anyway, then complain it's unfair afterwards

Like....really? You REALLY feel the system is unfair?
It's sort of mind boggling to me how people KNOW there is a penalty, get a GIANT RED IN GAME WARNING about that penalty, continue to leave anyway, then complain it's unfair afterwards
Red ingame warning you can only get in cp.
In QP it's inconsistent and often you can only notice it after you restart a game.
A few good answers here and there; I can see a trend here : people that sorta agree with me get downvoted, the rest get upvoted-- but I'd like to clarify a few things here :

- I barely post because most times what I'd want to say is already said; I just upvote the guy that did it- I didn't know I needed a certain amount of posts to be able to participate in discussions so sorry for my 30 posts seem nothing compared to your thousands, I meant no disrespect

- I don't leave mid-games raging or anything; I play mostly with friends and I don't leave those games, regardless of team compt outside our group; but when I queue alone and at champion select people just pick all torb/widow/bastion attacking R66 I feel like it's going to be pointless; I'm not asking people to fill a game with 1min on the clock and we barely got to the gas station, we're just starting

- As for "stick with QP with that attitude" I am - I'm not bothering you in competitive nor I want to so you're safe

"If you can't beat them, join them" or "If it's good for them it's good for you" - I'm going to load and sit through my penalty throwing a few grenades and barely moving and, case no one reports me for AFK, it'll make it easier - I hope we get attack/payload more often to make it for faster games; is this the right attitude we're going for here ?
01/11/2017 11:02 AMPosted by Luis
What I don't understand is why can't I leave a Quick Match game

because you still put a burden and nuisance on the other 5 people who got teamed up with you. You still put them at a disadvantage for being able to win the match. You still put a burden on the server trying to find a suitable player to backfill. You still create a situation where 11 other players in the game have to accommodate your leaving that disrupts their game.
its just xp man

i get leaver penalty all the time because i play the game to have fun and sometimes a lot of the time matches are just not fun

a fast way to lose penalty is to just go 3v3 and throw games or just not even try and do whatever. in 1v1 when it was in arcade sometimes people just got so butthurt they left and it counted as a match for me so i was like, "cool"
Be happy, they should ban you instead.